Tone cap toggle switch?? Help

What's Hot
I want to wire a Capacitor toggle switch but only want to switch between 2 caps, the link is for a 3 cap toggle, what do I need to do to change it for 2?

&

Which one do I need to use?

Any help is greatly appreciated, especially diagrams :)
Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited March 2014
    The top one will do it. (AKA as an SPDT single pole double throw).

Wire both capacitors to the lug and to the throws of the switch... then take an earth wire to the common lug of the switch..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    frankus said:
    The top one will do it. (AKA as an SPDT single pole double throw).

Wire both capacitors to the lug and to the throws of the switch... then take an earth wire to the common lug of the switch..
    Like this?

Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2014
    yep

that'd do exactly the same as I described :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    frankus said:
    yep

But is better :P , because it doesn't leave the unused cap hanging on the signal path where it can act as an aerial and pick up noise.

For what it's worth, this is exactly the method I used to prove conclusively that cap type/brand/construction/etc makes no difference in an electric guitar, if you're interested in trying it for yourself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    ICBM said:
    For what it's worth, this is exactly the method I used to prove conclusively that cap type/brand/construction/etc makes no difference in an electric guitar, if you're interested in trying it for yourself.
    Out of interest, where do you think it makes a difference? I switched a silver mica coupling cap for a ceramic and heard a difference a couple of nights ago, but this is with the best part of 200v sitting across it. Do you think it makes a difference on amp bright cap positions?
    edited March 2014
    Cirrus said:
    Out of interest, where do you think it makes a difference? I switched a silver mica coupling cap for a ceramic and heard a difference a couple of nights ago, but this is with the best part of 200v sitting across it. Do you think it makes a difference on amp bright cap positions?
    It makes a difference for coupling caps where there is a high signal voltage applied to the cap, especially when it's a large proportion of the voltage rating of the cap. The reason is simple - self-distortion, caused by the dielectric properties being modified by the voltage. If the voltage changes, the value of the cap is effectively changed, which affects the signal passing through the cap, so the result is harmonic distortion.

If the bright cap is across a resistor or volume control with no large voltage on it, it shouldn't - but it might if it's in a place where there is enough voltage.

And it won't at all in a guitar, since the voltages are tiny even compared to the lowest-rated caps (usually 50V for non-polar types), and the cap is to ground anyway - rather than the signal passing through it - so the part of the signal with is affected (harmonics) are exactly those which the cap is removing from the signal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Im going to use a 0.015uF and a 0.1uF to get the total opposite in tones.

This is the diagram Ive just drawn to follow, is this correct?

Yes, that's right.

Cheers guys
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    frankus said:
    yep

But is better :P , because it doesn't leave the unused cap hanging on the signal path where it can act as an aerial and pick up noise.
    Always so rewarding :D have a wisdom, Sir.