Stevie Marriott

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

I had Stevie Marriot night the other night and stayed up listening to various Humble Pie clips and reading about him.  What a talent he was.  Great voice and his guitar playing was far better than people give him credit for (as mentioned in another thread recently). Pity things went the way it did for him with financial issues and drink etc.  Also, I never knew he was lined up to replace Mick Taylor in the Stones, I wonder how that would have turned out.  Apparently in the audition he needed to sit back and just play the guitar parts but that was never him and Mick knew he'd be upstaged and put a block on it.  Can you imagine what it would have been like with Stevie and Mick strutting around trying to out do each other!

I also watched a documentary about the Whisky a Go Go.  I didn't know Humble Pie had played there so much and also that they had inadvertently burned the place down!  Peter Frampton had some really nice words to say about Stevie, saying he was lucky to work with somebody with so much talent, he said basically he's the best there's ever been.   

I listened to 60's / 70's blues rock for years and have moved on a bit, bored of the re told cliches, but Humble Pie seem to go under the radar a bit, so it was nice to discover something new from that era.  (Documentary on an Sky Arts I think btw).  

Anyway, just a few musings about the little fella with the big voice  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Humble Pie didn't seem to make much of an impact here in Britain, probably due to them touring hard in America. The lead guitar interplay between Marriot and Peter Frampton (Dave Clempson later on) is fantastic. Plus that voice was something else too! Their live albums are a great listen, especially the King Biscuit Flower Hour '73 if you can find it these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited December 2017
    I've was listening to Frampton and Marriot (Humble Pie) all last week

'Frampton Comes Alive' is one of my favourites 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Schnozz said:

I really wanted to like that album, but didn't like the voice box all over it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Marriot was one of the greatest front men ever - he also happened to be a shit hot guitar player too. 
    A great loss, IMHO
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Humble Pie didn't seem to make much of an impact here in Britain, probably due to them touring hard in America. The lead guitar interplay between Marriot and Peter Frampton (Dave Clempson later on) is fantastic. Plus that voice was something else too! Their live albums are a great listen, especially the King Biscuit Flower Hour '73 if you can find it these days.
    They were definitely "underground", but "Rockin the Fillmore" was absolutely essential listening when I was at school.  "Walk on Gilded Splinters" and "I don't need no Doctor" is about as good as rock music gets.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    Schnozz said:

I really wanted to like that album, but didn't like the voice box all over it
    Surely it was one track? Two at most?? (I haven't heard it for a long time ...)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    Whenever I see clips of the Small faces I'm blown away by what a great band they were. I used to have some humble Pie vinyl, not sure where they went??? He was an awesome artist and performer.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Love Steve!

My mates dad used to tell us a great story when we were 12/13. He was good friends with Sticky Wickett - the final drummer in Packet of Three with Steve. He was invited down to one of their gigs at The Half Moon in Putney and during the show, Steve's microphone kept cutting out. Steve, getting visibly annoyed each time, eventually shouted "FACK THIS!!" and booted the mic out of the way. Then proceeded to count the band off into the next song, stand on the lip of the stage and sing unaided above the band until the engineer got it sorted. He said you could hear him clear as a bell! :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    edited December 2017
    I'm a massive fan of his. An acquaintance of mine toured with The Small Faces (or maybe the Frantics/Moments) and describes Steve as a complete legend. His best story involves Marriott and a girlfirend falling through the floor whilst "cuddling" on a snooker table.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Neill said:

They were definitely "underground", but "Rockin the Fillmore" was absolutely essential listening when I was at school.  "Walk on Gilded Splinters" and "I don't need no Doctor" is about as good as rock music gets.

My band used to play I Don't Need No Doctor with our previous singer. Great track with incredible energy about it, great fun to play as well.
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    the King biscuit flower hour broadcast is available as 'Live 73' or 'Winterland 73' or variations thereof, all the same show but tracks are in a different order on some releases, still a great live recording though!
  • I know him better from the Small Faces, but I agree- in the realms of "white British blokes who sing like black American blokes" there are few who can touch him. 

Tin Soldier is one of my all time favourites.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited December 2017

I do like a husky singing voice and his has always been up there with the best. 

Like others have said, he was none too shabby playing a guitar either. 

Red Balloon is my favourite featuring him. Great song and singing. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4910
    edited December 2017
    Many years ago, I worked with a lad who liked him so much he changed his surname to Marriott by deed poll.

tFB Trader
    john_r said:
    the King biscuit flower hour broadcast is available as 'Live 73' or 'Winterland 73' or variations thereof, all the same show but tracks are in a different order on some releases, still a great live recording though!
    Absolutely! One of my favourite live albums. Knocks spots off ‘Rockin the Filmore’ for me.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    miserneil said:
    john_r said:
    Absolutely! One of my favourite live albums. Knocks spots off ‘Rockin the Filmore’ for me.
    Couldn't agree more there Neil, but then I am a sucker for soul/gospel style backing vocals!
    tFB Trader
    john_r said:
    miserneil said:
    john_r said:
    Couldn't agree more there Neil, but then I am a sucker for soul/gospel style backing vocals!
    Yeah! The Blackberries added to the line up, clem clempson and those heavier guitars, coupled with Steve's "preaching" inbetween the tracks, really flicks my switches!
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Just watching an old documentary, Humble Pie "The Life & Times Of Steve Marriott", perfect to while away (get away) for an hour over Xmas, mebee.

Duration 1:02:21

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQvh1pR5CU

• Steve Marriott. Humble Pie.
    Just Dynamite. 
  • Read Jerry Shirley's book ( The Pie's Drummer) 'The best seat in the house'
    Good read and insight to Stevie, Greg (Ridley - Bass player and equally terrific voice) and Humble Pie.......
    Jerry was a teenager when he joined Humble Pie and was only in his early 20's when they split......