High fret on new GS mini

What's Hot
Was on a bit of a road trip last weekend and found myself in richtone music in Sheffield.
Had my eye on a gs mini for sometime and found a lovely Koa one in there and ended up walking away with it.

Thought it was fine when I played it in the store but it was a very busy Saturday so as you can imagine the place was fairly noisey. Now I’ve got it back home I’ve discovered that there’s some quite noticeable fret buzz on the B string from the 12th-15th fret, and a little on the high E in the same region. 

I’ve done some investigating and have found that the 16th fret is slightly high near the B and E.

First port of call would obviously be to drop it back into the shop but unfortunately it’s over 2 hours away.

Does anyone know what Taylor’s warranty is like in regards to stuff like this? 

I have been looking on YouTube at some fret levelling videos and it seems like it’s not that complicated to do yourself providing you’ve got the right tools, but I’m not sure if it’s something I should tackle myself as it’s a brand new guitar and I don’t really want to cause any damage to it/totally mess it up!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Amazed you have a high fret that buzzes the action is to Taylor spec on mine and with the Taylor specified 13-56 it sounds great but is a good old-fashioned Cheese grater. That said it sounds truly wonderful now it has started to get broken it has a an almost produced quality fits any recording with great style and sounds like it should have been recorded in Abbey Road.

Its worth seeing if it simply needs a tap-in but I believe taylor glue in frets.

As its a warranty issue I would take it back and agree the time and say you want it done whilst you wait. 

• jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    Amazed you have a high fret that buzzes the action is to Taylor spec on mine and with the Taylor specified 13-56 it sounds great but is a good old-fashioned Cheese grater. That said it sounds truly wonderful now it has started to get broken it has a an almost produced quality fits any recording with great style and sounds like it should have been recorded in Abbey Road.

Its worth seeing if it simply needs a tap-in but I believe taylor glue in frets.

As its a warranty issue I would take it back and agree the time and say you want it done whilst you wait. 

Taylor necks tend to be very straight so I did try relieve the neck at first to see if that made any difference but I got it to a stage where it wasn’t comfortable to play and I was still getting fret buzz so returned it to how it was.

I’m 99% sure it’s the 16th fret being high in some places. I don’t have a proper fret rocker but used a credit card and identified rocking on the 16th fret and a very tiny amount on the 17th.

A four hour round trip this time of the year to get it fixed isn’t something I’ve really got time for.

Unless anyone knows a place in the West Midlands that could sort it for a reasonable cost?
  • Taylor are usually very good with warranty work - but at this strange it’s the retailer’s responsibility to put it right.  

Given the distance I would see if they will authorise a third party repair and meet the cost - though do bear in mind they aren’t obliged to.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Amazed you have a high fret that buzzes the action is to Taylor spec on mine and with the Taylor specified 13-56 it sounds great but is a good old-fashioned Cheese grater. That said it sounds truly wonderful now it has started to get broken it has a an almost produced quality fits any recording with great style and sounds like it should have been recorded in Abbey Road.

I wouldn’t trust any shop to do fretwork whilst you wait, leads to a rush and bodge job 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom