NGD: Line 6 Variax.... so any tips?

What's Hot
I've got a Variax Standard arriving tomorrow - steal at £330 new!

Anyone got one, if so are there any tips for it? I hear you can use a normal CAT5E cable for the VDI replacement... is this correct?

It'll pair nicely with my Helix LT!

Has anyone replaced the bridge or tuners? If so, which ones did you use?
Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WildWayz said:

Anyone got one, if so are there any tips for it? I hear you can use a normal CAT5E cable for the VDI replacement... is this correct?

You can use a normal CAT5 Cable, but it won't fit securely, the VDI cable is just a Neutrik Ethercon connection. you can get a set of adapters that convert a regular CAT5 cable to an Ethercon connection. The adapters are only a few pounds each, so they are probably worth buying.
  • WildWayz said:

You can use a normal CAT5 Cable, but it won't fit securely, the VDI cable is just a Neutrik Ethercon connection. you can get a set of adapters that convert a regular CAT5 cable to an Ethercon connection. The adapters are only a few pounds each, so they are probably worth buying.
    Thanks heaps!

Deffo worth doing - the Line6 cables are £35 each - and are out of stock at the usual places!
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184

I have a Standard. It stays in tune very well thanks to the Graph Tech nut and string trees. The tuners aren't anything special but they do their job.

The bridge is nicely made. It'd be tricky to change as it contains the piezo elements, and there's a PCB screwed onto the block. It really should have a push-in arm like the JTV69 though.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    The only thing I'd say about the standard CAT5 cable is - its generally not designed to be moved and so is more liable to internal breakage (most are solid core, which isn't great for live use). The Line6 cables are dearer but they are designed and made using cable that is more flexible. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    The only thing I'd say about the standard CAT5 cable is - its generally not designed to be moved and so is more liable to internal breakage (most are solid core, which isn't great for live use). The Line6 cables are dearer but they are designed and made using cable that is more flexible. 

This is true, but I think Design A Cable make one using either Van Damme or Belden cables a lot cheaper than Line 6, so that is also an option. 
  • impmann said:

This is true, but I think Design A Cable make one using either Van Damme or Belden cables a lot cheaper than Line 6, so that is also an option. 

So they do :)

https://www.designacable.com/musician-leads/line-6-variax/line-6-variax-di-digital-interface-lead-cat5-ethercon-cables-van-damme-cable.html

and

https://www.designacable.com/musician-leads/line-6-variax/line-6-variax-di-digital-interface-lead-premium-catsnaker-cat5-ethercon-cable.html

:D
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    Where did you get it from?

I have one on order, but it's seemingly delayed and the sellers don't seem to think my requests for an update on likely delivery date is worthy of a response. 
  • steer said:
    Where did you get it from?

I have one on order, but it's seemingly delayed and the sellers don't seem to think my requests for an update on likely delivery date is worthy of a response. 
    I got it from www.gak.co.uk

• I'd love a (fourth!) Variax but can't be enthused about the Standard's shape - will be interested to see how you get on with it though in case any different shapes may yet appear
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Just got my Variax Standard - currently sat at work counting down the hours until I get home. Got a VDI cable coming on Thursday... battery is charged up. Not sure if I have a long enough ethernet cable to hook it up to my Helix LT for the interim.

I bought this guitar as I have had an itch for a while to own a Strat / Tele... and these demos sound very good from what i've heard.

My setup is in my signature

• That does look lovely to be fair, definitely the best colour available. Enjoy!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    I went for the same colour too, how do you find the feel of the frets, mine are scratchy so I'll be going over them with a fret rubber and I've also got a set of graphtech locking tuners to go on.
  • neilg said:
    I went for the same colour too, how do you find the feel of the frets, mine are scratchy so I'll be going over them with a fret rubber and I've also got a set of graphtech locking tuners to go on.
    Yeah mine don't feel as smooth as my Yamaha Pacifica 311H...

Which Graphtech tuners did you get?

Also do you have a slight 'wable' on the low GBE strings - sounds like digital processing....
  • GAK are sending a replacement out to me for tomorrow. Can't resolve this "warble" from the GBE strings - no one else seems to have this issue - so I guess the piezo is knackered on it.

TBH the fretwork on it wasn't too great. No sharp edges but they need polishing - they feel rough when bending. 
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    edited December 2017
    WildWayz said:
    neilg said:
    Yeah mine don't feel as smooth as my Yamaha Pacifica 311H...

Which Graphtech tuners did you get?

Also do you have a slight 'wable' on the low GBE strings - sounds like digital processing....
    I got these tuners, ordered them from Warwick because I also wanted a set in Gold for my Jem and that was the only place I could find them.

https://shop.warwick.de/en/Parts+for+Instruments/Parts+for+Electric+Guitars/Machineheads/6-In-Line/Ratio+Locking+Machine+Heads+PRL-872-C0+-+Electric,+6-in-line,+Contemporary+Button,+2-Pin+-+Chrome

Can't say that I've noticed any warbling.
  • I have a van damme  variax cable on EBay at the moment for £10
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263380283373?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    I have a van damme  variax cable on EBay at the moment for £10
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263380283373?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
    That ad doesn’t sound state how long the cable is!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • An oversight on my part! It’s 3m
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Apart from the body are these the same as the JTV ones?
  • The sounds and guitar models are the same, the JTV has much better hardware but the neck is really nice on the Standard.