Complete Amp Dilemmas - 1st World Problems..

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1810
OK,

In a right quandry as to what to do here..

(Very) Long Story short - I have a Mesa Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo which I dearly love, does everything I ask of it and more, a completely awesome amp.

However, it weighs a bastard ton and for the smaller non-Helix direct FOH gigs I've been thinking of getting a smaller, lighter high quality amp to add to the clan.

Initially went for Bogner Atma from GG, but deal didn't work for one reason or another.

I then started to look at Friedman - mainly the Runt either in 20 or 50 guise..

But I can't decide what to do....do I just man up and carry the amp or can anyone think of a lighter alternative (thinking lunchbox head and cab) for smaller gigs that needs to be around the 1k mark?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Nice dilemma to have. ;)

Does your amp have a full flight case with castors? If it did, most of the time, you would be able to shift it with one hand by simply rolling the case along.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1810
    edited December 2017
    @Funkfingers I know, complete 1st world problems..

Its already on castors, its just the lift shift into car, stairs etc etc

• Can you get it split out to a head and cab?
  • Either do the head/cab thing or put in a neo speaker and an open back baffle.
    Thanks all for your comments and ideas.

I'm in a complete mess now, yes, the head/cab thing is an option but a complete pain in the arse.

@Winny_Pooh 's suggestion around Neo is a good one too, but how much weight it will lose I'm not sure  - might try just taking the V30 out and see what the cab/chassis weighs then..

But, now a Mini Rectifier and matching Cab has come up on t'bay as collection only and is not far from work..

AAARRGGGHHHHHH
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    welshboyo said:

(Very) Long Story short - I have a Mesa Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo which I dearly love, does everything I ask of it and more, a completely awesome amp.
    thats your biggest hurdle then, would be easy if you though the stilletto was crap.

do you need the channel switching
    welshboyo said:

thats your biggest hurdle then, would be easy if you though the stilletto was crap.

do you need the channel switching
    Do I need channel switching....hmm......good question.

I've always had channel switchers apart from a brief flirt with a Plexi..

@Modulus_Amps what are you thinking?
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    welshboyo said:

@Modulus_Amps what are you thinking?
    nothing specific, but if you only use/need one core sound it would be easier to recommend something based on that.

1K is enough money to expect one really great sounding head, but not with huge amounts of features, or a feature packed head with a few great sounds.

converting the current amp to a head cab option is also a lot cheaper an you still get the same sounds
  • welshboyo said:

However, it weighs a bastard ton 
    Go to the gym and take a shitload of steroids. 

You'll be able to lift the Mesa over your head like it was a puny little Marshall MG30CFX. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I've had this debate with myself many times. I have a 20th Anni Bogner Shiva which I adore but sometimes that and the 2x12 is just too much. In the end I plumped for a Friedman Pink Taco and the matching mini 1x12. It's a brill little amp but I can't get any clean out of it no matter what I do, so I always lust for the sounds of the Shiva clean or on break up. 

Amps to consider - 

EVH 5150 3 50w head and a small 1x12 
    Any of the Victory amps and a 1x12 
    Any of the Mesa mini heads and 1x12 
    Mesa Transatlantic TA15 or 30 combo or head 
    and yes the Runt 20 or 50. 

I think if you want something to sound like the Mesa, get a Mesa (and yes I know the Stiletto is a bit more Marshall like, but it still sounds more Mesa than anything else). 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Buy a powered monitor and use the Helix, ditch the amp and thanks me later :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I wondered why you don't do as John_A suggested....