Strange background vocalist performances you might not know .

What's Hot
ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
If anyone knows a few more please add.
Carly Simon You're so vain had Mick Jagger on backing vocals nobody seemed to notice at the time it
was a hit but you can hear him singing quite definitely.
John Stewart who had a hit single with Gold had none other than Stevie Nicks on backing vocals.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Kate Bush on Games without frontiers Peter Gabriel
      Marcell Detroit  on lay down sally. (co wrote) Eric Clapton.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I'm sure everyone else knew but I only found out recently Sting does the vocals at the start of money for nothing.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I never knew that!, thanks =)
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Squeeze's hit single "Black Coffee in Bed" has Paul Young and Elvis Costello doing the backing. 

I believe they did it for free.

Mick Jagger turns up on quite few, Chris Farlowe's "Out of Time" (written by Jagger/Richards) for one.

The Bee Gees backed Diana Ross on "Chain Reaction"
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Billy Squier had Freddie Mercury singing on "Love Is The Hero"

Here he is with Ringo on drums too (though RIngo's not singing)!

(He also had a choir dubbed "Billy's Choir" on another song.)

Led Zep all did rather drunken backing vocals on "Your Time Is Gonna Come".

Max Webster with Geddy...

If you want "strange" background vocals, and apologies to everyone that already knows this, listen to the ending of "Life On Mars", the bit where Rick Wakeman's piano comes back in. 

You hear the sound of a phone ringing faintly then Mick Ronson's voice cursing and swearing in the backgound.   

• Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid - backing vocals by Maria McKee who sang Show Me Heaven.
  • Chrissie Hynde is on Nite Klub by The Specials; I didn't know until recently when I read it in Horace Panter's book.

Reasonably well known but Luther Vandross on Bowie's Young Americans. 

munckee said:
    I'm sure everyone else knew but I only found out recently Sting does the vocals at the start of money for nothing.
    I didn't know that for ages but once you do know it seems incredibly obvious.

Not quite a BV but I read this the other day : Tony Peluzo is the DJ ( spoken word part) on The Carpenters version of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft. I know he's not very famous but his solo on their Goodbye to Love usually comes up in Great Solos lists so it's nice to know he added something else to the band. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    edited December 2017

Tina Turner (and the Ikettes) did the BV's for Zappa's Over-nite sensation & Apostrophe albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1qvaTTAxgk

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Chrissie Hynde is on Nite Klub by The Specials; I didn't know until recently when I read it in Horace Panter's book.

munckee said:

Not quite a BV but I read this the other day : Tony Peluzo is the DJ ( spoken word part) on The Carpenters version of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft. I know he's not very famous but his solo on their Goodbye to Love usually comes up in Great Solos lists so it's nice to know he added something else to the band. 

He's pretty famous in this house!  We used to do a cover of Goodbye to Love and I found the solo quite awkward to play, years later I read that Tony Peluso only ever played in FFCFAC - I've never heard of such a tuning. 

I certainly didn't know he had a vocal credit...  
  • Neill said:
    Chrissie Hynde is on Nite Klub by The Specials; I didn't know until recently when I read it in Horace Panter's book.

munckee said:

He's pretty famous in this house!  We used to do a cover of Goodbye to Love and I found the solo quite awkward to play, years later I read that Tony Peluso only ever played in FFCFAC - I've never heard of such a tuning. 

I certainly didn't know he had a vocal credit...  
    The only thing I've ever known him for is Goodbye to love, looking at his Wiki entry outside of that band he was more successful as a producer and engineer more than a guitarist. Didn't know about his weird tuning though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Adriana Smith on Rocket Queen? That's a quite memorable background vocalist performance... especially as she was Steven Adler's girlfriend, but Axl is the one "helping" with her delivery. 
  • I didn't recognize Emmylou Harris on Bright Eyes- I'm awake it's morning. I loved the sound, read the liner notes & thought "DOH!"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Joe Satriani sings backing on the first Crowded House album - I forget which tracks, but World Where You Live and Something So Strong at least.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJO said:
    Kate Bush on Games without frontiers Peter Gabriel

Kate's also on Peter's 'No Self Control'.

She also does a nice job on 'The Seer' by Big Country ;)
  • Kirsty MacColl on this one:

• MJ on this one: