Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dodgy set of D'Addario 10s or what? [Fake strings on eBay]

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I've D'Addario strings snap a top E fresh from the pack as I tuned to pitch. Happened twice in a couple of months, strings were genuine as far as I could tell (from Strings Direct so should be).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    What shape are the ball ends on these?
    Like this:

ball
  • Octafish said:
    I've D'Addario strings snap a top E fresh from the pack as I tuned to pitch. Happened twice in a couple of months, strings were genuine as far as I could tell (from Strings Direct so should be).
    thats EXACTLY what happened to me too, quite strange

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14175
    tFB Trader
    can't find the link now but that seller has a hell of an odd ball load of crap on his site that looks like Del Boys market with shed loads of cheap Chinese stuff - hence very strongly suspect not genuine - Hence why dealers can't compete with such BS related products and prices - Great that they are been flagged up but I bet it won't be the end of it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14175
    tFB Trader
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/emicroplus?_trksid=p2047675.l2568 - found it - looks like a genuine music shop to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seller has asked for photos of the strings. I sent the photo above. The E, B and G are definitely the same thickness.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

If you are going to give revenue to a tax dodging multinational it's probably safer to give it to Amazon.  If you buy the strings that they sell themselves, rather than the ones from the marketplace, then they ought to be genuine.

I'd rather use StringsDirect, but the price difference was too big last time I looked.  That 10% discount code for StringsDirect that was on here somewhere was good but I think you can only use it once.

• im going to stick with my rotosounds, 6 sets for just over £20 delivered. they dont copy rotosounds yet  =)
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    I have had a few reports of this nature recently. Cheers for the info @Philtre ;
    Without having them in my hands I can't say for certain, but that price is unusually cheap.

• The ball end for the G is normally green as well on D'addarios.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

Have to be fake, being 2-3 squid cheaper than anyone else flags that up. Plus the username, the massive feedback count, the tat in the shop says reseller or UK agent for cheapnese goods. Or not-so-goods.

edited December 2017
    @Adji - how can I help? The strings are on the guitar at the moment. And I still have the packaging.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    Don’t want to get stung with fake strings? Don’t buy cheap from dodgy sellers on Ebay.

Buy from a proper retailer like Strings Direct. And don’t moan that they’re more expensive - of course they are! Because they’re genuine.

If something looks too good a deal to be true, that’s because it probably is. Does it really need to be said?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

There are plenty of good sellers on eBay, and they're not hard to find. No need to blacklist eBay.

A. Price. Too cheap? Guess what.....

B. What else do they sell? If it's a proper music shop, less chance of fakery. Some, struggling, high street music shops also use eBay.

C. Feedback.

I use these guys all the time:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/reddansette

Highly recommended.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If D'addario have a service to check out the serial numbers and they do check out then the system needs fixing. But here's the thing - if these turn out to be fake I'm going to use this opportunity to nail the seller.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    edited December 2017
    martinw said:

There are plenty of good sellers on eBay, and they're not hard to find. No need to blacklist eBay.

B. What else do they sell? If it's a proper music shop, less chance of fakery. Some, struggling, high street music shops also use eBay.

C. Feedback.

Highly recommended.

Yes, that's who I use. Never had a problem in all the years I've been using them.

My only criticism is that they don't sell butt-plugs and penis pumps like the OP's seller.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    martinw said:

C. Feedback.

Highly recommended.

I've bought strings off them on several occasions. Always been good.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/emicroplus?_trksid=p2047675.l2568 - found it - looks like a genuine music shop to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bought one of those ‘bottom plugs’. Doesn’t fit the output jack. Perhaps I am doing it wrong. I suspect it’s also fake 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    adamm82 said:
    I bought one of those ‘bottom plugs’. Doesn’t fit the output jack. Perhaps I am doing it wrong. I suspect it’s also fake 
    WD40
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    rico said:
    adamm82 said:
    WD40
    Hmmm i’ll ask the bloke at the guitar shop to show me. If I ever get my Les Paul back