Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dodgy set of D'Addario 10s or what? [Fake strings on eBay]

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    Don’t want to get stung with fake strings? Don’t buy cheap from dodgy sellers on Ebay.

Buy from a proper retailer like Strings Direct. And don’t moan that they’re more expensive - of course they are! Because they’re genuine.

If something looks too good a deal to be true, that’s because it probably is. Does it really need to be said?
    I flat out refuse to buy guitar stuff from Amazon/Ebay as I don't trust its genuine. I have been a long time user of StringsDirect and they've always been great. I usually get my strings in bulk so I make some kind of saving anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Serves you right for buying strings from a sex shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Serves you right for buying strings from a sex shop.
    Probably better than buying sex from a strings shop. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited December 2017

Ah, clearly I've been using the strings for the wrong purpose... ;-)
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:

There are plenty of good sellers on eBay, and they're not hard to find. No need to blacklist eBay.

A. Price. Too cheap? Guess what.....

B. What else do they sell? If it's a proper music shop, less chance of fakery. Some, struggling, high street music shops also use eBay.

C. Feedback.

I use these guys all the time:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/reddansette

Highly recommended.

Have a Wisdom Martin for common sense :)

They're a good ebay seller for strings, i use them too for odd string requests on setups and builds. All sets have been perfect!!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited December 2017
    How to spot fakes (once you've bought them)

http://www.daddario.com/upload/DABR_Counterfeit_Strings_LowRes_15727.pdf

A pack for £3.88 from ebay is bound to be dodgy.
    Not necessarily - that's about what I paid last time round and all the D'Addario's I buy are completely legit. I've been playing D'Addario's for around 10 years now so I know a proper set from fakes. Mind you, I only buy from premium Ebay sellers with top ratings or known names like Richtone Music and that price is the 'each set' price for a pack of ten, not individual sets (ie around £39-40). Last 10-set I bought was from Bax-shop (with a free shipping promo code) for around £39. But prices have gone up over the last few months - best deals for 10 sets I've seen at the moment is from Richtone - £44 for a 10-set of EXL120's with free postage. Bax-shop are £42 but shipping is on top and no promo code offered currently.  Stew-Mac £42.10 inc shipping.  Amazon £43 inc postage. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I really hope his anal butt plugs don’t snap whilst in use too!
  • If you Google the address that's in the ebay advert... it appears to be a 'day nursery' !!!
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    @Adji - how can I help? The strings are on the guitar at the moment. And I still have the packaging.
    Hi man, thanks for the offer. I can't really talk about what goes on 'behind the scenes' as it were but if you drop me a PM I'll help you from there :)

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    I use Gibson Brite Wires 10s now. 5 sets with 2 spare E & B for £16.99 on Amazon. Add a set of 9s to get free postage and it works out at £3.50 a set.
  • @Adji  I bought a bunch of sets assuming it was old stock/packaging. Didn’t realize there were fakes. Happy to send one of helpful. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    But their G-strings are highly recommended.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    @Adji  I bought a bunch of sets assuming it was old stock/packaging. Didn’t realize there were fakes. Happy to send one of helpful. 
    PM'd

I compared the twist in the G string with a genuine set of 9s that I have. No comparison - the 10s I got from ebay are clearly fake.

Here's the fake:

IMG_0782
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Sex shops selling strings huh? 

I’ll stick to no strings sex. 

I dunno, man my income is sub £1000 a month, but I’ve always just bought from a store. Pmt or strings direct, andertons (when in Guildford). 

Maybe I pay more, but Andertons always have buy 3 get a set free or something, + points accrew, then I end up with a free set sooner or later anyway. 

Worth not having a bullshite experience with fake strings.

That being said, one of the grovers on one of my guitars has cost me more than a pack of strings in E strings.. bastard thing slips out unless I use a wrapping type stringing technique or just a lot of winds around the post. Wtf grover. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    skunkwerx said:

That being said, one of the grovers on one of my guitars has cost me more than a pack of strings in E strings.. bastard thing slips out unless I use a wrapping type stringing technique or just a lot of winds around the post. Wtf grover.
    Use the locking stringing method - it’s easier and better anyway, even when the string doesn't slip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I hear there has been a fair amount of fakes flying around in recent years :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited December 2017
    Update - I've been in contact with the ebay seller and told him they're counterfeit strings. His reply:

"...all items are real and new. If you do not want it, would you please return the item back for a replacement or a refund to []"

Well, my experience and a few others' says not:

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=emicroplus&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

I won't be sending the fake strings back to him. I have other plans...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Philtre said:

Sending them to D'Addario with the seller's full details, I hope :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Philtre said:

Sending them to D'Addario with the seller's full details, I hope :).
    Maybe... ;-)