Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How useable is a Vox AC30C2 for playing at home ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• To be perfectly honest even a half watt valve amp is too loud for home. I had one and with the Gain up full I needed to keep the master volume less than 5. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    To be perfectly honest even a half watt valve amp is too loud for home. I had one and with the Gain up full I needed to keep the master volume less than 5. 
    Exactly. I had a ZVex Nano - half a watt fully distorted - and to make it usable in the evenings through a normal guitar cab I had to make a little attenuator for it :).

True 'bedroom' volume is more like 0.1W, possibly less if the speaker is fairly efficient.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    its like having a horse in your living room
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I have a modified fender champion 600 5 watt with a 5f1 circuit and master volume addition, I can get a driven sound at almost any volume out of it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    munckee said:
    I have a modified fender champion 600 5 watt with a 5f1 circuit and master volume addition, I can get a driven sound at almost any volume out of it. 
    I could from my 100W Mesa Trem-o-verb too. I eventually sold it because it was too big and heavy, not because it was too loud. If anything I usually find it much easier to get a *good* low-volume sound out of something like that than a small amp.

The key is a good master volume (or more than one, which the Trem-o-verb has) if you don't want to use an attenuator. Adding one in the FX loop does the same thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• if the cornell 18/20 plexi head had an fx loop id have bought one, what a sound !!
  • ICBM said:
    To be perfectly honest even a half watt valve amp is too loud for home. I had one and with the Gain up full I needed to keep the master volume less than 5. 
    Exactly. I had a ZVex Nano - half a watt fully distorted - and to make it usable in the evenings through a normal guitar cab I had to make a little attenuator for it :).

True 'bedroom' volume is more like 0.1W, possibly less if the speaker is fairly efficient.
    Yep.  I've got a Nano and at full volume through a 98dB speaker it's as loud as me singing, and I'm quite a confident singer.  It's not neighbour friendly!
  • To be perfectly honest even a half watt valve amp is too loud for home. I had one and with the Gain up full I needed to keep the master volume less than 5. 
    Agreed. I've got a sheriff 22 which has a 0.3W output. With the preamp up and the master at halfway it can be heard all through the house, no worries. 
    Agreed. I've got a sheriff 22 which has a 0.3W output. With the preamp up and the master at halfway it can be heard all through the house, no worries. 
    how are you finding the sheriff 22 ?

i returned one after 24 hrs as the sheriff was so finickity with pedals and it really turned to mud once you stuck a drive pedal out front. know what you mean about the 0.3w output, iit produced a fair bit of volume.
  • I really like it but i don't use any drive pedals with it at all
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    My AC4 is too loud for home, my 63 AC30 top boost is only used at home to upset the neighbours. Too loud and far too big for me for home use. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My AC30CC1 sounds fine at low volumes.  Nothing like as good as it does when cranked but quite usable for me.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Not sure how useful it is at home.

However, I've always wanted to have an AC30 around to solve the problem that people at work always say (as a joke, presumably assuming i'm laughably terrible) bring your guitar in for the secret santa etc hahaha...

I'm always tempted to bring in a guitar, plugged into a cranked AC30, with earplugs in myself, and see if anyone's ears bleed.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom