SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Fender Masterbuilt Stratocaster '61

What's Hot
GauGau Frets: 43
edited May 2018 in Guitars £
Here you can find this stunning '61 Masterbuilt Stratocaster by Jason Smith.

Specs from the floor sheet provided by custom shop:
61 STRAT®RELIC AGED BLOND MBJS
MASTER BUILDER JASON SMITH
FINISH PACKAGE RELIC
PLATING CHROME/NICKEL HARDWARE
RIGHT/LEFT HAND RIGHT HAND
CASE FCS STRAT/TELE BROWN
BODY SPREAD GTR ASH OFF-CENTER 2PC
BODY FINISH NITRO LACQUER
STANDARD OR CUSTOM NECK CUSTOM NECK
LIKE STANDARD NECK ASSEMBLY 60 STRAT CC/REL
NECK FINISH NITRO LACQUER
NECK BLANK GUITAR MAPLE 5/4 QTR SAWN
FINGERBOARD ROSEWOOD USE 96658
SORT FOR DARK R/W FINGERBOARD YES SORT
TRUSS ROD 60'S
HEAD STYLE SMALL
NECK HEAD THICKNESS 0.575"
NECK SCOOP 60
DOT SPACING WIDE
FACE DOT MICARTA WHITE .250
SIDE DOT MICARTA WHITE 3/32"
FRET WIRE VINTAGE GUITAR UPGRADE
NUMBER OF FRETS 21
FINGERBOARD RADIUS 7.25" RADIUS
NECK NUT WIDTH 1.650"
NECK THICKNESS AT 1ST FRET .810"
NECK THICKNESS AT 12TH FRET .950"
NECK BUTT WIDTH 2.200"
NUT BONE (GTR & J-BASS)
NUMBER OF BOLTS 4 BOLT
STANDARD OR CUSTOM PICKGUARD CUSTOM
LIKE STANDARD PGA 60 STRAT REL
PICKUP NECK POSITION STRAT FAT 50'S NK REL
PICKUP MID POSITION STRAT FAT 50'S MID REL
PICKUP BRIDGE POSITION STRAT FAT 50'S BRG REL
PICKGUARD CUSTOM PICK GUARD MATERIAL
PICKGUARD MATERIAL PGMATL P/B/P NITRO
ACTIVE ELECTRONICS OPTIONS .
PICKGUARD SHAPE 60 STRAT
PICKUP SELECTOR SWITCH SWITCH 5-WAY LEVER CRL
SELECTOR SWITCH TIP WHITE REL
KNOB TONE COFFEE WHITE REL
KNOB VOLUME COFFEE WHITE REL
POTS 250K 10% TAPER SPILT

Extremely well playing instrument, soft to play and resonant, and allow me to say: stunning look.
Best Stratocaster I've ever had, period.

3950£

SOLD

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GauGau Frets: 43
    Up!
    Cmon this is a superb Strat, really top notch!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Up!
    Up!
    Up! Cmon guys let's talk about it if interested!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Looks lovely, but I suspect there might be two challenges that might be putting folk off ...shipping from Italy and the price.   :/
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2857
    edited December 2017
    Lovely Strat.

I sold a heavy relic Masterbuilt tele very recently, and for what it's worth it went for around a grand lower. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9283
    edited December 2017
    It’s bad form to comment on price on a seller’s thread. 
    Fwiw, I don’t think it’s badly priced. A new Masterbuilt these days would set you back close to 6k and that’s very stunning

Its more likely that the market at this time of year is a struggle and the vintage radius will put some people off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hi Guys, don't worry it's ok for me to share your thoughts also about price. I take every opinion gladly. May be UK market is going in a different way, here "good" masterbuilts (with good i mean the beautiful ones and with the right name on it) has gone really high. Smith is just the 2nd sought after name, Cruz of course being the first.
    However, feel free to make offers. I also have no big hurry (as you may have noticed from the amp thread and because i barely put this on sale on a couple forums).

I know vintage radius and frets may scare some one, i personally prefer them but it's just personal taste i guess.  On the other side, it's just a superb instrument. Would never have put it on sale if i was still playing. 

I got my last 2 guitars from UK (one on this very forum) and shipping costed me around 40£.
    Cheers
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    chris78 said:
    Fwiw, I don’t think it’s badly priced. A new Masterbuilt these days would set you back close to 6k and that’s very stunning

Its more likely that the market at this time of year is a struggle and the vintage radius will put some people off
    I not sure voxman's suggesting it's poor value, 4k ain't pocket money. GLWTS. Lovely guitar
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    gordiji said:8
    chris78 said:

I not sure voxman's suggesting it's poor value, 4k ain't pocket money. GLWTS. Lovely guitar
    Absolutely...bit puzzled by @chris78 post to be honest ...and as you rightly say not suggesting it's a bad price at all just that it's a lot of money. Not too many folk have £4k to spend on a guitar regardless of how lovely it might be. The reason I suggested being sent from Italy might put folk off is that at £4k I suspect most folk would want to play it first and pick it up in person to avoid risk of damage on postage route. Difficult for us Brits to do that when the guitar is in Italy.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I own a Jason Smith MB Strat, and its THE best Strat Ive ever owned...and played...

To the seller, I must admit I thought that the price is a bit 'strong' if Im being honest... and you asked for advice :)

Have a look at Coda Music site, as they often have used MB in stock.

GLWTS as it is a magnificent guitar :)

• @Wazmeister ;

You shouldn't have mentioned Coda, I had a look and might have to grab this and blame you to the other half.... 

https://www.coda-music.com/electric-guitars/custom-shop/masterbuilt/fender-custom-shop-dennis-galuzka-masterbuilt-50s-strat-relic-the-passion-secondhand.html
  • @Wazmeister ;

You shouldn't have mentioned Coda, I had a look and might have to grab this and blame you to the other half.... 

https://www.coda-music.com/electric-guitars/custom-shop/masterbuilt/fender-custom-shop-dennis-galuzka-masterbuilt-50s-strat-relic-the-passion-secondhand.html
    Happy to take the blame ! 

Ill just tell her (the same as I do to my lovely wife)... "its good value for £500". :)
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I had the chance to play a masterbuilt the other day and to my satisfaction my 3 hand built strats compare well. Lovely necks. 
    My only criticism against those I’ve seen online is how heavy the relics are. This one, however, is beautiful. 
    As for pricing, I’ve long noticed the difference between the uk and Italy and I dare say reflective of the cultural differences: the Italian market is a collector’s; the uk is a player’s. Go to any vintage market in Italy and the uk and you’ll see it proven. It means the correct current value (what people are prepared to pay) takes a while to reach whereas the uk is much more dynamic.
    by the way, should any strat enthusiasts ever want to see the largest collection of vintage strats in europe, you should visit Italy and Flavio camorani’s website. Every so often he does a free exhibition and it’s head spinning. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    http://www.flaviocamorani.it/schede.php

The book is an excellent resource. 
    Thanks for your comments, some i agree and some i completely do not. 

Offers on Coda are quite OT here I'd say, while price evaluations are subject to many factors: a masterbuilt itself does not make the price: NOS or aged, name of the maker, color, model, all of these and more can make a masterbuilt go for 2.5k or 7k. I don't think it's a matter of collecting or playing, I bought this to play it and stayed with me until now. I also had aside this, several other masterbuilts (Teles and Strats) and can confirm what i just said. 

Regarding the possibility to play it, it just goes the same with every international purchase, can't so nothing to solve this. 

Luckily I'm just selling stuff for not using it, I'm not in a rush then to sell it quickly. 

Cheers,
    Lorenzo
    Hi Lorenzo, Perhaps a little off topic but how do you feel about the Italian market? I've always felt the UK market has a more 'used approach' (i've used it so you can have it for a price that reflects usage) whereas the Italian market has a more 'discounted' approach.
    Of course I'm generalising. My experience with vintage/antique markets in Italy heavily contrasts with the more charity shop/market approach in the uk (especially annoying since most market sellers do not pay taxes claiming they're just cleaning out their old stuff when the truth is they regularly attend every market and treat it as an income, effectively buying up all the cheap stuff from genuine clean-outs and selling it on at antique/vintage prices, effectively pushing out the tax paying sellers who just can't compete or make a profit at the end of the day (I heard this from a genuine market seller who I buy posters and LPs from)); I can't help but feel this is somewhat true with music gear too. In some cases I've bought at a good price in Italy or comparable to the uk but on the whole I buy most my gear from the uk and that's with shipping on top. Vintage amps especially.

• It's probably down to Brexit ...
    Bump
  • I own a Jason Smith MB Strat, and its THE best Strat Ive ever owned...and played...

To the seller, I must admit I thought that the price is a bit 'strong' if Im being honest... and you asked for advice :)

Have a look at Coda Music site, as they often have used MB in stock.

GLWTS as it is a magnificent guitar :)

I have two and would echo @Wazmeister's ;view. Both mine are superior guitars to my genuine 62. 
    Irrespective of price, this is the way a great Strat is supposed to feel/play/sound