Chris Froome now been caught?

What's Hot
rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
edited December 2017 in Off Topic
So now we have another drug issue with Team Sky.
Apparently Chris Froome gave a sample during the Veulta that showed he had twice the amount of salbutamol that was allowed.
I know he has an asthma issue but can this be legal.
Or will be a case of throwhat enough mud and some might stick!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    edited December 2017
    Won't help his SPOTY chances
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    rolls1392 said:
    Won't help his SPOTY chances
    I suspect this is probably the least of his concerns. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really hope this is cleared up and explainable. 
    Can't help but feel that all sport is in a mess. Look at the Fury incident too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Sky statement seems to be pretty robust - doctor supervision etc.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm very disappointed with the SKY team, I thought that they had a solid stance on drugs, but I get the impression now that they are pushing the limits of that which is 'technically' allowable, which is cheating in my book. Unless they can PROVE that Froome has always had a genuine asthma problem they are cheats. 

For my money, ALL sports need TOTAL TRANSPARENCY on drugs. Anyone signed anywhere should have an online database that anyone can access showing a) and condition that they claim to have and b) any drug that they are taking and when they are taking it and why. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    Yes, because we all know the doctors in sport are 100% trustworthy.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Jalapeno said:
    But makes Froome no longer the primary target
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    But makes Froome no longer the primary target
    This. Cynical ploy to get the doctor to take the rap. The whole team should be thrown out.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    I dare say many will read into it what they wish to - To have asthma and be able to achieve what he has done is remarkable - Paul Scholes was a big asthma sufferer as well - Such sporting greats should be there to set an example of what you can be achieved, with such a 'set back' - Yet equally without medication they could not achieve what they did at such a professional level

I dare say many of us have played some sport with a cold, or touch of flu and had some medication to get by on the day - does that make us a cheat ? - I think there is a difference between this and deliberate enhancing of a performance via appropriate drugs etc

I dare say that 20 days or so on a bike, without feeling 'low' one day is not possible and as such any 'pick me up'is required but it does appear to be a mess as to what is allowed and what isn't

I hope all is okay - The B Wiggins issue will always leave a question mark regardless of what he has achieved

I recall an interview with John McEnroe and Boris Becker and both mentioned they had never entered any tournament without carrying a small injury - it is how you handle it - But all will have had some 'tablet' or treatment to ease the pain - Playing devils advocate, but is this not enhancing the performance so as to cope on the day ?

Overall it looks like a can of worms - I do hope he is okay
  • axisus said:
    I'm very disappointed with the SKY team, I thought that they had a solid stance on drugs, but I get the impression now that they are pushing the limits of that which is 'technically' allowable, which is cheating in my book. 
    Every top team/athlete in every big-money professional sport will be pushing things to the limit of what is 'permissible'. Why wouldn't you take it to the very limit if it could improve your performance? You know all your rivals will be, so you'd be mad not to.

That's just the nature of professional sport, always has been and probably always will. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, when I see professional cyclists, I assume that they are all at it. But the sport itself is not something I find interesting, so it doesn't particularly matter to me.
  • I don't understand how an asthma sufferer can win an event like TdF or Vuelta. I don't know enough about the condition, but I cycle myself and breathing can be hard even though I don't suffer.
  • axisus said:
    I'm very disappointed with the SKY team, I thought that they had a solid stance on drugs, but I get the impression now that they are pushing the limits of that which is 'technically' allowable, which is cheating in my book. Unless they can PROVE that Froome has always had a genuine asthma problem they are cheats. 

For my money, ALL sports need TOTAL TRANSPARENCY on drugs. Anyone signed anywhere should have an online database that anyone can access showing a) and condition that they claim to have and b) any drug that they are taking and when they are taking it and why. 
    Froome said in 2014 that he'd had asthma since his teens. It's also been noted that you find a lot of asthma in other sports. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/dec/28/asthma-elite-athletes-study-swimmers-cyclist-eid

The notion of an online database that anyone can access: how exactly does that work with an individual's right to medical privacy? 

It's said often about the war on drugs that it failed. Prohibition failed with alcohol. Is that therefore feasible that a body can stamp out drug use? I doubt it and the lines are increasingly blurred. 

Pushing the boundaries is what all teams do, be it F1 teams against design regulations, footballers against the rules on the pitch, cricketers with sledging, and so on. 

• I don't understand how an asthma sufferer can win an event like TdF or Vuelta. I don't know enough about the condition, but I cycle myself and breathing can be hard even though I don't suffer.
    Maybe if you used an asthma inhaler it may help.
    When I used to do TT gasping for breath was a way of life!
    Would an asthma inhaler help a non asthma sufferer?
    Dunno never tried it
  • Is there a grey area around asthma diagnosis? If I struggle to breathe when cycling hard, maybe I can be prescribed an inhaler and fix that whilst also getting a little boost? That seems to me what is going on. I don't have a big problem with it, because it'd be too hard to implement the rules otherwise.

They should just let every cyclist use the same stuff, regardless of asthma or other conditions.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Holy fuck, I have asthma and I take Salbutamol. I need to take more then I’ll be a cycling hero!

But seriously, I cannot see how it can be “performance enhancing.” If I exceed the stated dose, it just gives me the shakes. Nothing more. 

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Is there a grey area around asthma diagnosis? If I struggle to breathe when cycling hard, maybe I can be prescribed an inhaler and fix that whilst also getting a little boost? That seems to me what is going on. I don't have a big problem with it, because it'd be too hard to implement the rules otherwise.

They should just let every cyclist use the same stuff, regardless of asthma or other conditions.
    If you struggle to breathe because you suffer from excercise induced asthma and this has been formally diagnosed then yes, you could be prescribed an inhaler. However if you are struggling for breath because of lack of fitness then no you couldn't. And the inhaler would make bugger all difference...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280

The notion of an online database that anyone can access: how exactly does that work with an individual's right to medical privacy? 

Indeed. It is an outrageous suggestion on one hand, but then it seems like a necessity to keep sport cleaner on the other. An acceptable cost for top level sport? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Salbutamol is a relieving agent. It is supposed to be taken when the patient's airways are already causing a restriction.

Salbutamol is not supposed to be taken as a preventative medicine.

Be seeing you.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    It's funny, when cycling cheats get stripped of their titles you'd expect all the second place guys to jump up and say "Hey, that title is rightfully mine!"

But no, just an eerie silence and a few lycra-clad buffoons shuffling their feet and staring at the floor.

Tells you all you need to know really.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom