Gotta be strong...

What's Hot
DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
edited December 2017 in Guitar
This will sound very strange to some of you however i have a three electric guitar policy which has undergone a little rotation over the past few years (i hate neglecting guitars). At present the line up is a PRS Mira, Fender AV65 Jaguar and a Japanese Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special.

Now i know for certain that the Mira and Jag are keepers, both are great players and have their niche with the bands i play in, however the Mustang whilst a lovely guitar is just not for me despite it's versatility.

So i have been thinking on what to pass it on for next year and by getting a slightly more expensive guitar using that as incentive to quit smoking

So far the options are:

Gibson ES 335 (perhaps a bit pricey in todays market but i could try for a secondhand burst)

I have loved the look and sound of 335s however it might make me look like a borrower given i am 175 cm tall.

Fender Strat (ideally black with tortie guard though i am sure i can go after market for that and a singlecoil bucker for the bridge)

This would be the brain making the decision however a) they are versatile b) perhaps by getting a strat i may overcome my strat hate born from possessing an awful strat copy when i first started out  :D

Gibson SG (Junior or Standard)

Horns, raucous... enough said... I did rather enjoy my SG Special i had a few years back but try as i might it was not all that impressive clean so could have been just a dud...

I am sure it would come down to cost in the end however if in my position what would you choose?

P.S. Really does not help that GAK are selling off SG Juniors on Fleabay atm! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• a 335... no contest :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you tried filtertrons in a nice Gretsch? What kind of music do you play?
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited December 2017
    SG Jr. Wonderful things. Completely different to what you already have too b
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Get a real guitar, a Telecaster.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sassafras said:
    Get a real guitar, and a Telecaster.
    FTFY
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    edited December 2017
    Have you tried filtertrons in a nice Gretsch? What kind of music do you play?
    I tried two Gretsch (ish) previously. Both a G5420T and the model before that (which had buckers). Both were nice to play however they felt too big (hence the 335 comment) and awkward to play when compared with my other guitars. Both bands have post punk leanings, though i also like to dabble with shoegaze (one day i might actually get round to recording something)...
    Sassafras said:
    Get a real guitar, a Telecaster.
    Had a tele... sold it the past year as it just was not drawing my attention, despite having a different vibe to my other guitars :(
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    175cm isn't that short. I consider myself to be tall and I'm less than 10cm over that. Get a 335.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Get an ES-339, and quit smoking before you get lung cancer like I did.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I’m probably gonna be in the minority here but I say get a Strat - they’re great guitars and hugely versatile. 
    We are all Chameleons...
    mbe said:
    Get an ES-339, and quit smoking before you get lung cancer like I did.
    That is the plan, well the second part anyway.
  • Hankering towards a Strat but not convinced? No brainier get a Music Man
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    339 or a Thin Line Tele
  • Hankering towards a Strat but not convinced? No brainier get a Music Man
    This. I love my '73 Strat. It's been part of my life since 1979. 90% of the time I play my '89 Silhouette. 
  • On ES335s... 175 is almost 6 foot. Noel Gallagher is 5'8" and has played 355-types his whole career. They look big on *everyone* except the 6'4"+ crowd. But some find them unwieldy (which is precisely why my #1 is a CS336, despite being 6')

Otherwise definitely try another SG if they interest you. They can be *great* played clean, but the stock pickups in the cheaper ones are usually very rock-oriented so not great clean.  

What I'd really recommend is getting yourself to a good guitar shop and trying all of these, and pick the one you don't want to put down. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    On ES335s... 175 is almost 6 foot. Noel Gallagher is 5'8" and has played 355-types his whole career. They look big on *everyone* except the 6'4"+ crowd. But some find them unwieldy (which is precisely why my #1 is a CS336, despite being 6')

Otherwise definitely try another SG if they interest you. They can be *great* played clean, but the stock pickups in the cheaper ones are usually very rock-oriented so not great clean.  

What I'd really recommend is getting yourself to a good guitar shop and trying all of these, and pick the one you don't want to put down. 
    Indeed! It will (for a change) be a plan of mine to visit an emporium at some point to try a few out to get a feel for how comfortable they are.
  • 335 too pricey... then you’ll be wanting my Taylor T3b. ;)