One of my bands songs will be used in a movie - what do I do!?

What's Hot
WeststarxWeststarx Frets: 6
edited December 2017 in Studio & Recording
Hi All,

One of my bands songs has been picked up by a movie director that is working on a movie over in LA which is set to be released next year. Quite shocked it is happening and we have absolutely no idea what we are supposed to do/say or what we need to make sure happens as none of us have had anywhere near this sort of success before.

Has anyone else had their music used in a film or tv that can share some advice?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    You a member of the MU? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a song in a film once. A Philip Pullman adaptation, but it never got picked up for distribution. 

When you say "a movie director in LA", is it 2 guys with an iphone and no money, or is it a studio who should be paying you...?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    Get registered with PRS/MCPS now. It used to be free but there may be a joining fee now. With them you can register all your tracks and they will keep tabs on all the royalties owed. Do it today if you're anywhere near getting a deal like this. Then negotiate a fee with the company. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • antifash said:
    You a member of the MU? 
    No...joining is something I have always thought about but never done - is it time?

I had a song in a film once. A Philip Pullman adaptation, but it never got picked up for distribution. 

When you say "a movie director in LA", is it 2 guys with an iphone and no money, or is it a studio who should be paying you...?

No it's a studio that I believe should be paying us, but thats where we fall short because we dont know how the money side of it works - we are not really expecting to get anything at all but at the same time dont want to give anything away for free!
  • merlin said:
    Get registered with PRS/MCPS now. It used to be free but there may be a joining fee now. With them you can register all your tracks and they will keep tabs on all the royalties owed. Do it today if you're anywhere near getting a deal like this. Then negotiate a fee with the company.

Already with PRS and PPL but will do MCPS as well now - thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    How do you know this OP? Did the movie studio contact you? If so, did they ask to use the song?
  • AltoAlto Frets: 8
    Hi @Weststarx this area is called synchronisation. Essentially the company wanting to use your song need to license it from you. They need to license both ‘sides’. This means the rights to the song (publishing) and the master rights (the recording). Fees can vary hugely depending on what sort of film it is from a few hundred £ to thousands. They should be able to send you terms which should include fee per side (split 50/50 master/publishing), length of agreement and the territories you are licensing in amongst other things. Aside from the fee, there may be royalties generated as well. You can join the US collecting societies but at this stage it may be easiest to stick with PRS (publishing side) and PPL (masters) and making sure you tick the ‘collect my international royalties’ box. If in doubt do seek legal advice, MU or a firm. Hope this helps a bit and good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Read up about Madonna's use of Ray of Light - previously sold a few hundred copies on the folk circuit in the 1960s (if that) until Madge and William Orbit got hold of it - made the original writer a huge amount
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    The bad news is that it's The Room 2
  • I'll ask my son-in-law. His old band (The Blueskins) had a song used in the Dukes of Hazard movie. His solo stuff, he had used on urm BBC's Down on the Farm kids thing.
    Every few months he gets a cheque for a couple of grand.
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    How did the song get picked up in the first place?
  • JD50 said:
    How did the song get picked up in the first place?
    I'm not 100% sure - never really asked him... 

His original band The Blueskins had this as their big single:

Then when they split up, he signed as a solo singer/songwriter/guitarist with Candyrat Records

Without sounding bigheaded, his voice is like that live too. 

I've asked him how he got his music out there - just waiting for his reply. I imagine his record label sorted all the boring stuff - he's quite the chilled out kinda person to do it himself (even when I got him a contact in the BBC who wanted to promote his solo stuff - he never replied lol)
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.