Greta Van Fleet

What's Hot

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Here's a full concert thats just appeared on Youtube. The first 10 mins should be enough to convince most of you that these young lads have a future. Great performance in what looks like terrible weather conditions!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    there's a fine line between 'being influenced by' and copying
    although I adore Zep, this crosses the line for me way too much

it's not original enough
    no likey
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    The singer does need to work on his stage presence though, especially if they are starting to play these massive stages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    New album just appeared on Spotify....
  • New album just appeared on Spotify....
    Just listening to it right now. Not as immediately catchy as their first, but I reckon it will be a grower...

I like them by the way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Whilst good at what they do, there are so many bands doing the 68-73 type of rock thing better. Sweden is awash with bell bottom-sporting bands. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Tickets for their UK tour went on sale today. Got a couple for the Newcastle show. 
  • To be honest I was underwhelmed by the new album. 
    There is some good stuff.
    The bassist has some chops for sure - in fact I would go as far as to say the bassist is the standout on the album. I know, controversial, but if you crank it and try and hone in on the bass the things he does... Yah. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited October 2018

I think they are poor. I don't understand the point of this sort of thing. I'd prefer to listen to LZ.

In fact the more I listen, the more I can't quite believe how much of a LZ tribute act they are. The singer is blatantly aping Plant.

I read a review by The Quietus, which I thought was a bit savage, but tbh, they are bang on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I quite like them for a bit of fun, but I think bands need more than one influence.  And to be a great band one of your influences should be yourselves i.e. a slice of originality.

They are young however and we need bands like this so other kids pick up guitars again, so it can only be a good thing overall.
    But give them a bit of time and they may develop into something slightly less Zep centric.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Wow.  Harsh but fair.  Like Karren Brady (...?)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I do tend to agree that it's only their youth which makes them in any way remarkable, but it still seems harsh to me to criticise a Led Zeppelin-influenced band as being derivative. 

Maybe they should just list their influences as Jake Holmes, Spirit, Joan Baez and Willie Dixon, and let the lawyers pick the bones out of it. 

:)
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    edited October 2018
    I think if the issue was just musical influences it would be different. It's more about GVF being more like a Led Zeppelin cosplay.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Ha ha - ouch! Good writing.
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 775
    DannyP said:

Yeh, right up to the bit where he said "in actuality". FFS!
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I like them.  My autistic 10-year old has just listened to a bunch of their songs without starting to smash our sh*t up, so they pass the ultimate test.

He also likes "Only Friend" by The Temperance Movement, "I feel love" by Donna Summers, "Sail" by Awolnation, "Song for Sonny Liston" by Mark Knopfler, and the washing machine cycle on "Rinse".  That's pretty much it.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited October 2018
    If LZ were recording and touring I don't think GvF would be so popular, but LZ aren't.  There is demand for this style of hard rock that isn't poodle hairdo, latex widdly-woo driven.

I also the think that while the delivery is Plant-style, the singer's voice reminds me of Geddy Lee as much
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    They do nothing for me.   I expected to like them as I’ve been listening to and playing a lot of similar stuff.     They had a rig rundown on premier guitar earlier in the year and it all felt a bit formulaic to me.  
    I do think it’s great to see younger bands playing guitar and doing bluesy rock though so good luck them