Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ever had what you consider to be a life changing experience?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
Good or bad.

I had a bad experience as a child that I am pretty sure affected me. We had an external brick garage with my dads car in. I was about 5 and I got in the garage and got in the unlocked car. The door shut and I couldn't get out. I remember overwhelming panic thinking that I was trapped and screamed the place down, thinking I wouldn't get heard. In my mind I was thinking that I would suffocate. Parents showed up pretty quick, but all my subsequent life I have suffered badly in any situation where I feel trapped in, so I never go in lifts, never go in a car back seat if there are no back doors, don't like anywhere that I'm locked in. In places I don't know I look for escape routes. 

I was reminded today. 2 weeks ago I had to get from work (N London) to Waterloo, south of the river. On the tube coming home it was packed and I was real close to having a panic attack. I had to go down there again today, but after work I walked from Waterloo all the way up to Camden (an hours fast walking) just to avoid packed trains.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was struck by lightning when I was about 8.  The pyjamas I was wearing disappeared in a puff of smoke and my arm was a lovely carbon black colour.  There's a little bit of me that always thinks I cheated Mr Reaper that night.
    0reaction image LOL 32reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    been a fat boy most of my adult life...
    lost 5 1/2 stone and the belly is about 15" smaller
    unbelievably life changing in so many more ways than I ever expected
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I got married. Never thought it would happen, and it changed my life for the better.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    edited December 2017
    not a single point in time kinda thing but yeah, a period of time that made me assess what I was doing. Mrs F had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer then while she was recovering from the treatment, my father had a massive and fatal heart attack a few weeks after his 70th birthday. Up till that point I'd been kinda in cruise control, I was pretty comfortable, pretty OK paid (more than I would generally spend) and work was easy if not exactly exciting or fulfilling. My summer of hell made me determined that I was gonna get something positive out of the whole horrid experience. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    Had kids.

That really does change things!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    Brain tumour followed by brain surgery. That certainly made me rethink things! 
    0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    Discovering The Fretboard.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    Realising my son has autism and wasn't just slow developing or anything.  My wife fell apart on the spot and still recalls to people this day how cool I was with it.  Didn't realise the fricking implications!  Nothing has ever changed my life like it, both for good and bad.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited December 2017
    Nothing as big and dramatic as you might be hoping for (I have not been hit by lightning) I suppose but every moderate to big decision in life can change it dramatically. A few I can think of, moving to Dublin (where I knew no one) on my own at 17. dropping out of a University course I hated and starting over again in the different field, moving to South Wales, Joining a rugby club in my mid 20's (this was hugely life changing, I got fit and grew so much confidence). Buying my first house on my own, meeting my now wife, moving city to be with her, having kids.

Something as small as stumbling upon and joining Thefretboard a couple of years back changed a lot. I was just messing on an acoustic in the corner of the living room then, had a Epiphone SG at the back of the shed that was in a state. Now I have multiple electrics and a bass and have been really enthused about playing (albeit at home) ever since.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Seeing my Nan eat a sarnie without her teeth in.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Wife of 26 years developing Stage 4 Renal Cancer, that puts things into perspective.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Had kids, 

Pretty boring answer but it changed a lot for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    edited December 2017
    Got called up for jury service in 2004  (again, I’d already done it three times). This time was at the Old Bailey though. It was a terrorism case against a bunch of Algerians who were living in the Finsbury Park area of North London. The case lasted 7 months. It totally changed my opinions on politics, immigration and how much truth the government actually tell us. I co-wrote a book about the case afterwards and met a lot of amazing people via the process. 

Details here for anyone interested.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_Green_ricin_plot

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Catching an unwanted glimpse of my nans vadge when I was 15. Looked like a ripped tennis ball.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've had many life changers but by far the most extreme was having a son.
    Changed me from an irresponsible, selfish, pleasure seeker to the wonderful human being I've become.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

Yes. The last year. 

My mother in law Sue was diagnosed 29th March with a brain tumour, and passed away 15th October. She was only 67.

It has been scary seeing a compassionate, fit and intelligent woman deteriorate in a relatively short amount of time, and with no warning. Due to the position of the tumour it mainly affected her personality and mobility. This meant that by the time we knew what was happening, she wasn't the person she used to be. We were mourning for the person she was, before she  passed away. Then she actually did pass, and even though prepared, it's obviously been incredibly painful.

My wife was her main carer. My wife's dad died when she was in her late teens so her mum brought her up alone. They were incredibly close, and it's totally destroyed her. Trying to console my Mrs and keep her head above water has been hard. After a while there isn't really anything else left to say. No words can resolve the situation anyway.

My kids are 4 and 7. Both were looked after by my mum in law prior to starting nursery / school. She started them off learning the alphabet / counting and reading. They were very close, and it's been hard to watch them witness what has happened. Trying to explain this sort of thing is horrible and pretty impossible.

Trying to support my wife, and the kids has been hard at times. Seeing what they've gone through has been upsetting. In some ways I feel lucky though as it's just confirmed what an amazing woman my wife is, and how resilient and brilliant my kids are. I'm very proud of them all.

We never thought last Christmas would be our last with Sue, and we've learned not to take time or people for granted. It's easy to slip back into old ways but determined not to. Now is about trying to make sure life is lived to the fullest extent possible. I feel I've grown up loads and changed a lot. Hopefully for the better. The experience has brought me and my wife closer together.

It's hard, but important to make some positive changes, learning from what has happened. It's been a horrific experience that I hope never affects us again. It has been life changing. Everything is still very raw at the moment, but as time goes on things should get easier.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Slipping into madness and being diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic was life changing for me, thankfully after trialling different drugs I'm finally on medication that has brought some form of sanity. I still have episodes but nowhere near as severe as they used to be.

On a lighter note and as cliched as it sounds being introduced to the music of Led Zeppelin changed my life too. My mate got me stoned and said listen to this, he played No quarter and it blew me away, something inside me changed that day.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • July 6th this year, wife diagnosed with cancer. Has changed everything.
    0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 2015, I found out I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLL) - it's incurable and may well see me off at some point in the future. I had successful chemotherapy in 2016 which means I'm probably going to do OK for a few years yet, but I will need treatment again at some point. It may work, it may not - treatment second time around is unpredictable. Askme in 5-10 years time! 

No earth-shattering conclusion that we haven't heard before. Pursue meaningful happiness today - as you don't know what will happen tomorrow. Build great memories with the ones you love so they have something to remember if you're the one who leaves first. 

Enjoy the journey and do no harm whilst you travel.
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom

• Enjoy the journey and do no harm whilst you travel.
    Like that...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom