Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone bought from Gas Station Guitars

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
edited December 2017 in Guitar
I stumbled onto this second hand dealer and they look to have some really nice bits - particularly some Japanese Gibson and Fender types. The prices look keen too - has anyone dealt with them before?

https://www.gasstationguitars.com/vintage-japanese-guitars
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No.... But I just had a gtgasm. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He relocated from Australia over the last year or so. They get great looking Japanese guitars in regularly but are massively over priced in my opinion 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yeah i'm lusting after that one too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    He relocated from Australia over the last year or so. They get great looking Japanese guitars in regularly but are massively over priced in my opinion 
    Oh really? I thought they seem reasonable!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Am in the process of buying something from them at the moment and so far no issues at all. Very helpful and I've found very quick to reply to emails and the owner seems like a good guy. One thing I have noticed is that one or two of their guitars are priced slightly lower on Reverb than on their site at the moment so might be worth checking their page on Reverb as well if you've got something in mind :)
  • Run of the mill used Japanese Offsets with an asking price of £1300? Let me have a think about that.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Was this the store that was trying to pass off a ghastly greenburst refin jazzmaster as a factory special?

• IMHO - often massively overpriced...like MASSIVELY overpriced.

Also, I'm fairly certain they sell on eBay under a range of ID's, which always inspires confidence.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • £5k for a bog standard 2013 R9??!!  :o
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Way overpriced. You can get AVRI jazzmasters for less than he lists Japanese JMs. 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Agree. They have a coupl of Fadeds that I would love, but seem to be £400-£500 too heavy...
  • ellwood said:
    Agree. They have a coupl of Fadeds that I would love, but seem to be £400-£500 too heavy...
    More than that mate, I’d say closer to £700 too much based on the current secondhand market.

Mind you, some of his early 80s Grecos only seem a couple of hundred off. Guess he is a business after all and needs to earn a few quid.
    Phew - glad I checked. I was ready to go on at least one guitar. Maybe it's worth an email anyway...if you don't ask you don't get and all that. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    The thing that gets to me about these guys is that anyone else who has a Japanese Fender to sell is going to see all these and think that's the kind of price they can expect to get.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited December 2017
    prlgmnr said:
    The thing that gets to me about these guys is that anyone else who has a Japanese Fender to sell is going to see all these and think that's the kind of price they can expect to get.
    Happens frequently with Yamaha SGs...

*cough*Joey*cough*Moorewood*cough*

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    prlgmnr said:

You should get some cough mixture for that.. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    prlgmnr said:

You should get some cough mixture for that.. 
    Never mind the cough, he needs to take something for chronic GAS.
  • Nice guitars, some nice photos, ridiculous prices. Much better deals on here (and everywhere else).
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Are the Greco etc. Les Pauls really that overpriced? Have seen a couple of great deals on here but otherwise seems about the same as I'm seeing on ebay / Reverb etc. Anywhere else worth checking?
  • johnl said:
    Are the Greco etc. Les Pauls really that overpriced? Have seen a couple of great deals on here but otherwise seems about the same as I'm seeing on ebay / Reverb etc. Anywhere else worth checking?
    What you have to ask yourself is how many of those guitars on eBay are selling?

I’d say some of the prices (not all) are unrealistic for secondhand guitars, there is also an over-liberal use of ‘lawsuit’ in the descriptions of some of these japanese lesters, that sets alarm bells off, as it factually inaccurate and intentionally misleading.