SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Pentax K1000 or Canon AE1 - have EP Booster for possible trade deal

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
edited December 2017 in Misc £
Anyone got an unused Pentax K1000 of Canon AE1? Fancy getting back into old school analogue film photography but my old Eos 1000f is buggered. So looking for a decent one of these with a standard 50mm lens and working light meter. 

Edit - to make it more guitar related I have an EP Booster I could make part of some sort of trade deal :-)

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got a k-x bit I don't think that's what you're after? I've got a few k fit lenses sitting about though

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Legionreturns Looking for the old school Pentax K1000 manual film SLR. Are your K fit lenses suitable for the old style body? Don’t need anything fancy, just a general purpose 50mm Lens really. If you have one let me know as I could always source the camera body elsewhere. 
    Thanks for the reply!
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I'll have a look. I've got a few K1000s, but not sure they all work!
  • @antifash Cheers buddy
  • I think I have a spare K-1000 floating arouns, but don't have any spare lenses. Definately have an AE-1 might have a wide as well as a 50mm. Not interested in the so booster though.
  • Thanks @Shark_Eyes  It’s probably the K1000 I’d prefer if there is an option. 
    Not trading for the EP is not a problem - just put it out there in case people keen :-)

Cheers all - and if any of you helpful fellows locates your K1000s and they seem to be working, feel free to PM with prices. 
  • I've got an ae-1p that's in full working order, but has the squeak.

A cla would fix it but cost more than the camera is worth. Nice camera otherwise. 

If you want a great, old school film experience I'd look more at medium format slrs. Much better image quality, insane lenses, some have leaf shutters so you can sync up at 1/500th and they're generally better built. 
  • If you want a great, old school film experience I'd look more at medium format slrs. Much better image quality, insane lenses, some have leaf shutters so you can sync up at 1/500th and they're generally better built. 
    That’s interesting - think a 35mm SLR would be a bit more convenient day to day so I’d probably use it more, but I remember thinking the medium formats looked like they produced lovely images back in the day. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    If you can’t find an AE-1, might I recommend the AV-1? Aperture Priority is arguably much more useful. 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• mattdavis said:
    If you want a great, old school film experience I'd look more at medium format slrs. Much better image quality, insane lenses, some have leaf shutters so you can sync up at 1/500th and they're generally better built. 
    That’s interesting - think a 35mm SLR would be a bit more convenient day to day so I’d probably use it more, but I remember thinking the medium formats looked like they produced lovely images back in the day. 

To be honest, with cost of film being what it is (ie very expensive to develop - even if you go for pound land colour film, which isn't bad at all) I feel that medium format and larger format films are the way to go - a twin lens reflex is portable, great looking and again will give a wonderful leaf shutter with minor natural vignette and the potential for much higher flash sync speeds if it has a socket. 

The mamiya rz67 is the best camera I've owned - sadly sold now, but you can get the wonderful 250mm f/4 lens for portraits for less than £200 these days - a lens that, back in the day, would have been a couple of grand. It's a big camera though - and the mirror slap is a sound to behold! Twin lens reflex is more suited for street. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, don't expect much colour slide film to be available in the next few years - I think true black and white negative is probably going to be more successful. 

That's fine though - lots of wonderful, more affordable b+w out there, and home development is easy. You could then either scan the negs or get a darkroom set up for printing. 

• To be honest, with cost of film being what it is (ie very expensive to develop - even if you go for pound land colour film, which isn't bad at all) I feel that medium format and larger format films are the way to go - 
    You’re not kidding! I found a battery in Maplins for my old Canon Eos 1000f (my school art camera) -that was £9 - then popped to Jessops (which is now 10% of the size it used to be!) and bought a 36 exp roll of Ilford HP5 that cost £7.99! I can’t have spent that much when I was at school - I guess price of film has gone up a lot as presumably it’s being produced in smaller volumes and so they need a bigger margin. 

Anyway - the old Eos still seems to work fine (nothing developed yet kind you) so might give that a go. Do you have any idea whether the image quality with the 1000f using the standard 50mm EF mark 2 f1.7 lens will be better/similar/worse to something like and AE1 or a Pentax MX with their standard 50mm lenses?
  • mattdavis said:

To be honest, with cost of film being what it is (ie very expensive to develop - even if you go for pound land colour film, which isn't bad at all) I feel that medium format and larger format films are the way to go - 
    You’re not kidding! I found a battery in Maplins for my old Canon Eos 1000f (my school art camera) -that was £9 - then popped to Jessops (which is now 10% of the size it used to be!) and bought a 36 exp roll of Ilford HP5 that cost £7.99! I can’t have spent that much when I was at school - I guess price of film has gone up a lot as presumably it’s being produced in smaller volumes and so they need a bigger margin. 

Anyway - the old Eos still seems to work fine (nothing developed yet kind you) so might give that a go. Do you have any idea whether the image quality with the 1000f using the standard 50mm EF mark 2 f1.7 lens will be better/similar/worse to something like and AE1 or a Pentax MX with their standard 50mm lenses?

Basically the same - 50mm 1.8 lenses are all much of a muchness in design. Some very modern ones, like the sigma art 1.4 or Sony Zeiss 55mm are designed for ultra high resolution, but a 50mm 1.8 is a sharp, cheap lens that makes great photos :) 

If you're shooting silver halide film, like Ilford hp5, get your own developing tank. It's cheap and easy to develop film, once you've got the knack of a dark bag and the film reel. 

Then it's just about printing or scanning - there are some good scanners available now. 

I love film photography, especially for black and white - development in rodinal with a high speed film just makes a wonderful, contrasty, grainy look. But it's time consuming compared to digital, and I don't have access to a scanner here :(