Making an SG - neck joint?

What's Hot
So I'm thinking of tackling an SG as my first attempt at a fixed neck guitar. Has anyone seen/got a good plan drawing showing the neck joint in particular? I need to see the end shape of the neck and the cutout in the body. I found a good postscript pdf of everything at full size, which is a good start point, but it shows the neck attached, so I don't really get how the joint goes.

Also - Neck binding. Am I heading into a world of pain by attempting it? Any good tutorials out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    edited December 2017
    The sg neck tenon is full width (edit - or some are, not all), so it’s similar to the fender style of construction you are used to... it just needs to be longer and deeper.

binding isn’t too bad, but decide on the style you want.  

If if you want frets over the binding, binding is attached before fretting then you need a tang nipper to create the over hang on the fret.

It you want Gibson style binding you fret the board first and file the edges of board and fret square.  Then you glue on extra tall binding and shape the top edge to meet the board/fret 

which are you after?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    WezV said:
     It you want Gibson style binding you fret the board first and file the edges of board and fret square.  Then you glue on extra tall binding and shape the top edge to meet the board/fret 

which are you after?
    That one Sir.
    here is a 65 SG with full width tenon.  on second thoughts, it might not be the best approach on an SG as these are the ones that often snap... good on a Jnr, but too much wood is removed here

this is the narrow tenon version

but the important bit is the size of the heel at the back - gibson struggled to get this joint right  - personally i would go through neck (and did on the only SG I have made)
    https://solodallas.com/gibson-sg-vintage-heels-i-e-neck-joints

edited December 2017
    Ta @WezV ;;

Through neck? that sounds like a whole new ball game. How would that be on difficulty? My first thought was that it would be harder to do, but on reflection I think maybe not. 

How long a piece would you need for an SG?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I always thought a flying v joint would've been much better, that's how I'd probably build one and I'd possibly make the body slightly thicker
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    axisus said:
    Ta @WezV ;;

Through neck? that sounds like a whole new ball game. How would that be on difficulty? My first thought was that it would be harder to do, but on reflection I think maybe not. 

How long a piece would you need for an SG?
    I don’t find them too difficult.  I did one for my second full build and it turned out well.  Well enough that I did a lot more in  my first few years of building

how long is an SG?  
    WezV said:
    how long is an SG?  
    Yeah, I thought that after posting! I wasn't sure about the headstock, presumably a separate piece. About time I started planning properly ...
    You can do it all as one, no need for a separate headstock, but you can if you need to.

The thickness of the blank is important to get the head and body angles all done, needs to be about 2” thick as a minimum but draw it all out full size from the side profile.  
    here is the blank from the last one i did - I think it was 3x4" and that is the 4" wide face you can see here

Chunks of mahogany that size are not so easy to come by so i would usually recommend laminating from thinner planks, although that is not what I am doing on my next.  I am using CF rods instead to ensure stability.
    if you don;t have enough room on a balnk for the body angle, you can go for a reduced angle and a bit of a step between body and neck instead
    Thanks @Wezv great advice as always, useful picture.
    Just found these pix, nice looking joint