The Worst Guitar Tone You Have Ever Heard?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
Well, what is theeeeee Guitar tone on a song, that makes your teeth fall out of their holdings.

This for me. 

I love the song too and they are a great group, but the choice of "Fuzz" tone on the Intro is not my fave.

"So what would have been better?" you ask.

I don't know, except, anything other than that.

Over to you.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Roy Buchanan.

Like a combination of nails on a blackboard and what I imagine a pig being electrocuted would sound like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    ICBM said:
    Roy Buchanan.

Like a combination of nails on a blackboard and what I imagine a pig being electrocuted would sound like.
    I'll see if I can handle Roy to rid myself of the "Flatulent Hippo" tone from my example.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    @ICBM - first John Martyn and Richard Thompson, now Roy Buchanan.... Let me chuck a controversial (but correct) suggestion in; Neil Young!
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

Jimmy Page on most of Physical Grafitti.

Too many Class As de-spoiling his listening ear imho.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Anything by Henry Kaiser... :-S
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Most 80's hair metal lead guitarists.  Too much treble AND thin distortion, yuck.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    All that laughable "post-rock" (even the name is laughable, but I can't be bothered) nonsense.

I only like music.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    @ICBM - first John Martyn and Richard Thompson, now Roy Buchanan.... Let me chuck a controversial (but correct) suggestion in; Neil Young!
    lol

Neil Young has one of the best guitar tones ever - truly epic. Roy Buchanan just sets my teeth on edge.

It's interesting that *in some ways* they aren't too far apart though… as Chrissy Hynde said, "it's a thin line, between love and hate".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The first Clash album. Doesn't matter though, still great.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2014
    Lixarto said:
    All that laughable "post-rock" (even the name is laughable, but I can't be bothered) nonsense.

I only like music.
    I don't know what you mean. Examples?

As for me, I think the lead sound in this is pretty horrible. See the solo 2 minutes in - really harsh and processed, sounds like a rubbish practice amp. Good playing and nice song though (one my dad played in the car a lot when I was small):

Jimmy Page's lead sound (except on Whole Lotta Love, Stairway and Black Dog) was almost uniformly shite.

Randy Rhoads's sound on Blizzard of Ozz is pretty shrill and grating too, really quite unpleasant. Shame, because the playing is magnificent (as if that needed confirmation). Jason Becker's incredible track "Altitudes" has some masterful playing too, but the tone is rather nasty. Very fizzy and shrill... unusual because I like Jason's sound on most of the other stuff I've heard from him.

That playing though, Jesus... it's such a shame he lost that ability - he was one of the very best, if not THE best shredder from that scene in the 80s - but the way he's been dealing with it is fantastic. A truly inspiring and amazing man.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Eddie Grant's "Do you feel my love" - ok, the fuzz guitar sort of fits the cheesiness of the song, but ooh, I no likey the tone, especially the solo!

Much has been said about the actual solo here, but I really don't like the tone from the great Jeff beck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Bucket said: I don't know what you mean. Examples?
    I am, thankfully, not an expert in these matters. Isis seem to sum it up though. Sludgy, ill-defined nonsense.

But I mean the "music" as much as they actual guitar sound. Just fucking terrible.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2014
    I think they have a fantastic sound, and I really enjoy their "music". Why the quotation marks?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Jimmy Page had some great tones but on PG the intro and rhythm track for Sick Again sounds like his amp was miked up in the outside bog.

As for my least fave tone JP again springs to mind on Hot Dog. Fucking awful song with cod country Tele tones.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Sympathy for the devil guitar solo, ouch.

Reeling in the years, love the song and the playing but the tone is pretty awful.

Anything by black sabbath.

Anything involving Phil Collen.

Alan Holdsworth.

Echo thoughts on Roy Buchanan.

I could go on.

And whoever mentioned Neil Young is mental.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    edited March 2014
    Allan Holdsworth tut tut :P

I didnt like his weird delay infused lead sound from the 80's that was a bit meh for me. But everybody is different :)

For me though, its the opening solo of this song. I grew up on Metallica but even when i was a whipper snapper I never liked this solo. I'm not sure if it's the horrendous lack of musical vibrato or the shocking pentatonic note choice.....but yes this one 

%-(
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    edited March 2014
    Cor Blimey, there are some classic acts and tones that some of you don't like, it's your right to your opinions though.

I think this is a much worse Eddy Grant tone and Solo.

:-D

I suppose the solo is ok enough, a bit cruel of me really, it is a god-awful tone though. I do like a bit of Eddy Grant, he can write songs at least and I think he was in The Equals in the 60's if IIRC.

I do like the Jeff Beck tone though.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Neil Innes, surely? (1'08")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcZ4s9cvpw
    Bellycaster said:

I think this is a much worse Eddy Grant tone and Solo.

[I Don't Wanna Dance]

I suppose the solo is ok enough, a bit cruel of me really, it is a god-awful tone though.
    I love both :). Although Do You Feel My Love is definitely better. Pure transistor fuzz goodness...

And yes, he was in The Equals.

@steamabacus

That's very trippy and check those big Sound City stacks.

Another tone I find it hard to listen to is this, I've never liked the solo either, though some quote it as one of there faves. at 1:59

Not a dig on his talent, it's just taste.

Horrid.