The Worst Guitar Tone You Have Ever Heard?

What's Hot

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    ICBM said:
    Bellycaster said:

I think this is a much worse Eddy Grant tone and Solo.

[I Don't Wanna Dance]

I suppose the solo is ok enough, a bit cruel of me really, it is a god-awful tone though.
    I love both :). Although Do You Feel My Love is definitely better. Pure transistor fuzz goodness...

And yes, he was in The Equals.

@ICBM

Yes, DYFML tone is better, the tone on the riff ain't too bad, it kind of fits, but I really don't like the solo tones in either. Good that not everyone likes the same.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17587
    tFB Trader
    Well, what is theeeeee Guitar tone on a song, that makes your teeth fall out of their holdings.

This for me. 

I love the song too and they are a great group, but the choice of "Fuzz" tone on the Intro is not my fave.

"So what would have been better?" you ask.

I don't know, except, anything other than that.

Over to you.
    The fuzz tone in this is perfect in the context of the song. 

Spending the day on the stand at the guitar show taught me a lot about tone being in the fingers. 
    We were opposite the Palmer Amp stand and some of the people trying the amps made these awesome top end amps sound like a transistor practice amp from the 80's while others sounded awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Well, what is theeeeee Guitar tone on a song, that makes your teeth fall out of their holdings.

This for me. 

I love the song too and they are a great group, but the choice of "Fuzz" tone on the Intro is not my fave.

"So what would have been better?" you ask.

I don't know, except, anything other than that.

Over to you.
    The fuzz tone in this is perfect in the context of the song. 

Spending the day on the stand at the guitar show taught me a lot about tone being in the fingers. 
    We were opposite the Palmer Amp stand and some of the people trying the amps made these awesome top end amps sound like a transistor practice amp from the 80's while others sounded awesome.
    You managed to hear something??? :P I for one didn't know that Diezel amps don't come with a clean channel
    :P
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    tFB Trader
    DrJazzTap said:
    You managed to hear something??? :P I for one didn't know that Diezel amps don't come with a clean channel
    :P
    On this website people often lament that guitar gear is marketed to blues dentists and shredders. Having been to a guitar show I now know why :)

An alien landing would have thought "guitar" meant a competition to go "diddly diddly diddly diddly skreee!" as fast as possible. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    edited March 2014
    Bellycaster said:

@ICBM

Yes, DYFML tone is better, the tone on the riff ain't too bad, it kind of fits, but I really don't like the solo tones in either. Good that not everyone likes the same.

:)
    This is very true.

Some of the tones I detest the most are exactly the ones a lot of 'tone hounds' get so excited about - those smooth, refined 'liquid' ones so beloved of jazz-blues-rock players and the kind of people who obsess about them. I'm not sure they're actually the worst tones I've ever heard, but I still can't stand them. I'm really not a fan of that horrible thin 'chinky' Strat in-between tone either, it sets my teeth on edge almost as much as that ice-pick-in-the-ear Tele 'tone' I mentioned earlier ;).

Give me a nasty buzz-saw fuzz any day...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2014
    @ICBM You can't beat a raucous Tele bridge pickup when you throw some mid-gain distortion at it. Incredible.

When I'm playing my dad's Tele I tend to leave it on the bridge pickup, it sounds the best and Tele pickup switches are a pain.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    @ICBM You can't beat a raucous Tele bridge pickup when you throw some mid-gain distortion at it. Incredible.

When I'm playing my dad's Tele I tend to leave it on the bridge pickup, it sounds the best and Tele pickup switches are a pain.
    I love Telecasters, particularly the bridge pickup. Some of my favourite ever guitar sounds were done with them.

I just can't stand that hideous sound Roy Buchanan made with his, it makes my ears hurt. To be fair, it's only partly the tone - the rest is his playing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I wonder if I could get a Tele bridge pickup into a Strat... I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible.

Might not sound the same though, and it'd probably look shit. Maybe I should stick with the stacked singlecoil idea.
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    I wonder if I could get a Tele bridge pickup into a Strat... I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible.

Might not sound the same though, and it'd probably look shit. Maybe I should stick with the stacked singlecoil idea.
    Oil City can do you a strat with a baseplate. 

I think for the true sound you need the proper Tele bridge as well though. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Just listened to Roy Buchanan for the first time.

T'is a bit Shrill.

8-X
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Bucket said:

Seymour Duncan does one - the Twangbanger. Stupid name, but good pickup. It doesn't really sound like a Tele though, just like a more 'industrial' Strat - it lacks the Tele bridge, and the correct position of the Tele pickup (slightly further forward and more angled).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited March 2014
    Lots of people find Al di Meola's vastly-overdriven lead Les Paul sound repellant. Takes getting used to - I used to find it a bit over-bearing.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    tFB Trader
    I don't hear anything terrible about DiMeola's tone there. Not amazing, but not horrible. 

I can't help, but think he has a certain Garth Marenghi quality in his image.

Bucket said:

I've been planning the pickup side of things for a while.

I'm after a DiMarzio Injector for the bridge, the Paul Gilbert signature stacked single-coil. He's used them a lot on his recent material and they seem to sound fucking fantastic, plus I hate Strat bridge pickups anyway - I want something a little meatier which is still in the single-coil ballpark. Stacked seems to be the best option, and this is the one I'm GASsing for.

Neck and middle though, I think I will be going to Oil City. Any particular recommendations? I still want it to sound Stratlike, but a little more bite than a vintage-spec pickup would certainly be useful - if you don't know me by now, it'll need to cope with high gain.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    He's quite serious and dedicated, but a natural.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Sorry, I'm dragging things off topic.

Have some more shit tone.

Zakk is undoubtedly a fantastic player, and his early solos, on Ozzy's "No More Tears" and so on are truly incredible. But he's kind of turned into a caricature of himself over the last five or ten years... massively overdone solos, an over-saturated, processed-sounding tone, WAY too many pinch harmonics and TOO MUCH FUCKING FLANGER.
    edited March 2014 tFB Trader
    I'm guessing Stone Tones would be up your alley. 

Ash does a crazy hot tappable bridge called a Rock Splitter. 

The DiMarzio Injector does sound epic on Paul Gilbert's stuff, but don't forget it's in a set necked mohog guitar so it's not going to be sounding exactly the same in an alder bolt on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm guessing Stone Tones would be up your alley. 

Ash does a crazy hot tappable bridge called a Rock Splitter. 

The DiMarzio Injector does sound epic on Paul Gilbert's stuff, but don't forget it's in a set necked mohog guitar so it's not going to be sounding exactly the same in an alder bolt on.
    Fair enough - I think most of the Injector sounds I like from Paul are neck-position anyway. Really, I just want a hotter, fatter bridge pickup that's still single-coilesque and hopefully won't make the pickup volumes as unbalanced as a single-size humbucker might.
    tFB Trader
    A single sized humbucker doesn't have to overpower anything. 

I have a Lil59 in one of my Strats and it's pretty tame. The only problem is that they are ceramic and have very fine wire so they don't sound much like a PAF. 
    A single sized humbucker doesn't have to overpower anything. 

I have a Lil59 in one of my Strats and it's pretty tame. The only problem is that they are ceramic and have very fine wire so they don't sound much like a PAF. 
    My dad's Strat has a Little 59 and it's a lot louder than the other two pickups... I guess it can all be changed, it's just the impression I seem to have cultivated of them.