The Worst Guitar Tone You Have Ever Heard?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    edited March 2014 tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    A single sized humbucker doesn't have to overpower anything. 

I have a Lil59 in one of my Strats and it's pretty tame. The only problem is that they are ceramic and have very fine wire so they don't sound much like a PAF. 
    My dad's Strat has a Little 59 and it's a lot louder than the other two pickups... I guess it can all be changed, it's just the impression I seem to have cultivated of them.
    I think it depends what you have around them. 

The strat I have with a Lil59 has a couple of Texas Locos in it and they are louder than it despite not being mega output.

There is also an advantage to an HSS strat with a hot bridge in that you get some different levels to work with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Never been a fan of Mike Stern's tone.  I wish he'd turn his bloody chorus pedal off and buy a decent valve amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited March 2014
    Lixarto said:
    Bucket said: I don't know what you mean. Examples?
    I am, thankfully, not an expert in these matters. Isis seem to sum it up though. Sludgy, ill-defined nonsense.

But I mean the "music" as much as they actual guitar sound. Just fucking terrible.
    @Lixarto bands like ISIS are Post Metal really and other than some parts (softish bits) are pretty different to a lot of post rock stuff. Like all genres over time bands get pretty generic and samey but if you go back to some of the early stuff that coined the genre then it get a bt more interesting.

This is what I consider to be post rock from back in the 90's (Listen to the whole track)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yomowCF5icY

Old Is Gold
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Seconded on the general yuckiness of Mike Stern's tone and every other jazzer from the 80s on who are over-reliant on chorussed sounds.

Chorus plus distortion I find a love-hate thing. Can anyone offer me an example to help me overcome this phobia?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    Jazzers  law of  "bass on 10 treble on 0"    I hate it even more than that EVH era  'uber delay scoop'
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I liked Roy Buchanan's sound. I never liked Neil Young's. For me, bad tone is the first 2 tracks on the live Runrig album (wheel in motion IIIRC), until the sound crew get him sorted.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    ICBM said:

Give me a nasty buzz-saw fuzz any day...
    Give that man a cigar etc
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    Metal. 

I have never heard a metal tone and thought wow I wish my guitar sounded like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Kerpunk;183023" said:
    Metal. 

I have never heard a metal tone and thought wow I wish my guitar sounded like that.
    Wisdom awarded!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    I'm guessing your awareness of metal is perhaps a little limited?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Try saying "worst guitar tone you have ever heard" without saying "Kirk Hammett".

DrJazzTap said:

For me though, its the opening solo of this song. I grew up on Metallica but even when i was a whipper snapper I never liked this solo. I'm not sure if it's the horrendous lack of musical vibrato or the shocking pentatonic note choice.....but yes this one 

%-(

Also, @Bucket is spot on re Zakk Wylde. I like his playing on No More Tears, I even like BLS, but Jesus he needs to learn subtlety and finesse....

One tone I detest, but not so much a particular player so much as a generic tone, is that 80's "clean electric with chorus and delay" a la the verses in Whitesnake Here I Go Again. Just....ewwww.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    One tone I detest, but not so much a particular player so much as a generic tone, is that 80's "clean electric with chorus and delay" a la the verses in Whitesnake Here I Go Again. Just....ewwww.

Actually I was wrong earlier. I must have blanked "Is This Love?" out of my mind, because in fact it contains both the worst clean and the worst distorted guitar sounds ever recorded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    The guitar tones on Here I Go Again are killer. I fear you mean the appalling cover version by John Kalodner's Poodles.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Reverend said:
    The guitar tones on Here I Go Again are killer. I fear you mean the appalling cover version by John Kalodner's Poodles.
    Well played, sir. Whitesnake up to 1984 have a great sound - bright, articulate humbuckers and That Hammond. Not to forget a bassist who could be clever and innovative without going "Look at me! I'm playing the bass all over this!"
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Some of FZ's tones were deliberately set up to be "blasphemous" (his word). I'd be hard-pressed to find a use for some of them. However I don't think I ever heard him using a sound that didn't fit his music.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Lixarto said:
    Reverend said:
    Well played, sir. Whitesnake up to 1984 have a great sound - bright, articulate humbuckers and That Hammond. Not to forget a bassist who could be clever and innovative without going "Look at me! I'm playing the bass all over this!"
    bert gives Zap a wisdom shock horror

:D

• OK, point taken, you pedantic lot! I meant, of course, the naff late 80's re-recording.

Or did I mean Is This Love? ...?

Ah anyway, bad Whitesnake has bad guitar tones on. I keep meaning to listen to the early stuff (Bernie Marsden, right?) but haven't got round to it yet.

edited March 2014
     I keep meaning to listen to the early stuff (Bernie Marsden, right?) but haven't got round to it yet.
    Moody/Marsden  =  sublime,   add Paice/Lord and you get damn near perfection
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    The Moody/ Marsden partnership is absolutely killer and they were a pretty soulful band.

Must say tjough I love John Sykes's tone from the 1987 era. Very...erm....'metallic'!
  • OK, so Moody/ Marsden era, what albums should I be looking at?