Latency with Ableton and Focusrite 2i2

I've run the latency test and adjusted as recommended but there us still a little lag. 

I've put a bass line down and want to play parts over using the direct line. 

Is there a way of lining up what you're recording with the bass track afterwards? Or should I be able to get latency down to near zero.

Hope this makes sense I'm completely new to this! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Fuengi said:
    Is there a way of lining up what you're recording with the bass track afterwards? 
    Yes but this is not a desirable way to work.

Technical questions about your personal recording set-up are impossible to answer without more information about the equipment you happen to have.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've got the Focusrite Scarlett bundle and am recording guitar using the direct line in. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2017
    I don't have the same DAW and interface as you but I think the same general principles apply whatever is used.

What do you mean when you say you've run the latency test?

If set up correctly modern DAWs should automatically align the tracks allowing for the latency of the audio interface, particularly if you're using the ASIO setting. The DAW makes the compensation by using the latency reported by the interface. For example Reaper displays the input/output latency as two numbers in the top right hand corner. I expect Ableton will have some way of showing it.

You can check whether the DAW is making a correct adjustment for the interface latency by doing a so called 'Loopback Test', which you can Google how to do (be careful with the levels as you're, in effect, creating a feedback loop). The DAW should offer a method of making manual adjustments in the unlikely event that there are misalignments. I would expect that there's unlikely to be a problem in this area with a modern DAW and modern interface.

The real problem with latency is usually the feeling of a delay between what you play and what you hear, which occurs when you monitor through your DAW/computer, for example when using VST ampsims and effects. Then it's sometimes a battle between how low you can get the latency whilst avoiding pops and clicks because low latency places a higher demand on your computer. However, if you're having problems you could accept a higher latency and stick a mic on your amp (or use a speaker emulated output from an amp or fx unit) and not monitor what's being recorded through the DAW/computer. This is generally referred to a 'direct monitoring'. Your interface should offer a 'direct monitoring' option which sends the input directly to the monitors or headphones and not via the computer.

It's not a competition.
  • I'm trying to understand your question a little better to see if I can help. I'm no pro at this either, but I've made lots of mistakes and learned something from most of them.

Being able to measure a latency value doesn't necessarily mean it will affect your recording in any meaningful way. What value are you measuring? 

When you record a guitar part whilst listening to your bass part, can you actually hear the latency from your setup, or is it just that you can measure it? Are you using an amp sim in the DAW that you can hear when recording? When you say "using the direct line" do you mean you've turned off DAW monitoring of the guitar track so it doesn't go through the AD/DA process before you hear it in your headphones? 
    Oh Christ, this sounds incredibly complicated. 
    Think I might send back the Focusrite bundle and buy a tape recorder! 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Fuengi said:
    Don't do that! Plenty of folk use this interface with no problems so it should be possible to get it working smoothly! It would help if you tell us your computer specs. It should be possible to get  about 10ms latency from a USB interface which for most people is imperceptible - the equivalent of standing 10 feet away from a guitar amp.

My guess is that you need to select the correct driver in the Ableton audio preferences.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Fuengi said:
    Tape recorders require alignment too - albeit in a different way.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Fuengi said:
    Sorry, I'm forgetting my systems engineering background and jumped into solutionising without getting a clear definition of the requirement/problem.

Is the problem
    1) You're feeling/hearing a delay?
    2) What you record is out of sync with the backing?
    3) Both of the above?
    4) Something else?
    It's not a competition.
    Thanks chaps, I do appreciate it.

Much of the problem is to do with mobility - I'm currently on crutches post Achilles operation and my office / music room is at the top of the garden (12 steps, 2 slopes) away from the house. So the questions are a bit daunting as I can't nip up and check the answers quickly. 

Tomorrow morning when I get up there I'll make some notes and post the issues I'm struggling with. If you can help it would be great. 
    I had a look this morning and have sorted it. I managaed to get the latency down to 12ms which is imperceptable to me.

• Fuengi said:
    I had a look this morning and have sorted it. I managaed to get the latency down to 12ms which is imperceptable to me.

Excellent... 
    Thanks for all the notes, it helped me suss out what the issue was.

I'd set the latency down low - but had switched output settings to play through speakers and didn't notice it affected the settings.