Bought a wireless system....

What's Hot
after quite a bit of research and deciding not to spend over £200 I went for the smoothhound innovations system.

I'd narrowed it down to a line6 G30 and the smoothound but after seeing how flimsy some of the parts on the line 6 appeared to be and the fact the smoothound constantly searches for clear channels I went with that. The downside of the smoothound was the fact you had to buy a female to female connector to turn it into a backpack type as I didn't like the idea of the transmitter plugging directly into the guitar then using a sticky pad to stop it moving.... I could see the sticky wearing off after a while and then end up looking for solutions to that problem. The connector was only £1.99 so not too much of a problem.
If anyone is interested I can do a report on it once I've tried it but just wanted to know if anyone on here has had experience of the smoothound and any advice or any other things I need to be aware of..?

:)

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    They’re great units and there are a fair few users on here. Big thread about them here:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/44911/smooth-hound-innovations-classic-wireless-guitar-system#latest
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yep, one here.....no issues, we used them on 3 separate instruments at open mic, no problems.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited December 2017
    I have a Smoothound and really like it. However, you're right that the sticky pad is useless. I ended up with a small velcro dot on the unit and the same on the guitars. 
  • I use one, and with the connector so I have it on my belt, tried it with the sticky pad at first but it didn’t hold, and in my opinion it looks awful on a Strat. 

Much prefer having the unit on my belt and a short lead to the guitar. That’s worked great for me. 
  • cheers people...seems like I made a good decision then.. :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • I have a Smoothound. 

Quite difficult to at use at home as the wi if hub kills the signal. I also think my TU2 has more problems reading the signal than it does with a cable ( I haven’t done any A B testing on this but I think so). 

Every so so often I remember I’ve got a wireless and slowly spin around on the spot whilst playing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Smoothound. 

Quite difficult to at use at home as the wi if hub kills the signal. I also think my TU2 has more problems reading the signal than it does with a cable ( I haven’t done any A B testing on this but I think so). 

Every so so often I remember I’ve got a wireless and slowly spin around on the spot whilst playing. 
    ok... I haven't come across anyone saying that it affects their tuner reading signals...something to bear in mind .. I have a rehearsal on wednesday so will be testing it there before our final gig of the year.

I may even start moving around a bit more myself during gigs..!!
  • I have a TU-3 on my board and that works fine with the smooth hound. 
  • I have a TU-3 on my board and that works fine with the smooth hound. 
    ok...mine's a tu3 so fingers crossed it's fine...cheers
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The smoothhoid works and sounds great.     Also the customer support is the best I’ve come across - above and beyond.   

Im hoping the bring out a proper body pack version at some point though. 
  • I gig with one of two MIJ Fenders , the pad sticks to one and not the other so it's a weird thing. 

I can't find any evidence of anyone else having problems with tuners so I'll have a mess and see if it's something I've done or if my TU2 has digital dementia ( I wonder how old it is, I think it's the oldest and most used pedal I have). 

Soundwise I guess if I A B it with a cable I could imagine I could hear a difference but certainly nothing that leaps out. Certainly easy to use, people comment on it if I have it on the strat because then the green flashing light is on the front of the body. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I bought three transmitters and a receiver back in the summer. I swap guitars on stage so press to turn one off then as you sling the next strap over your shoulder press the next one on and off you go. Fastest change I've managed ever. No signal problems ever and I plug direct to the guitars. Strat, Tele and 335. Smooth hound gets my vote.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Mine has been brilliant when gigging. Never missed a beat. It's rock solid and totally reliable.

It can be a bit iffy at home as it does seem to get some interference from wifi - but actually more from Bluetooth I reckon.
  • I'm looking forward to getting this and trying it out...I'm also looking forward to a bit of freedom when playing.. not that we play the biggest venues but one of the main reasons is I'm fed up getting caught up in leads and being tied to not being able to move freely around when we play.

skaguitar said:
    I'm looking forward to getting this and trying it out...I'm also looking forward to a bit of freedom when playing.. not that we play the biggest venues but one of the main reasons is I'm fed up getting caught up in leads and being tied to not being able to move freely around when we play.

It's good when you are doing your Shadows Walk..
  • skaguitar said:
    I'm looking forward to getting this and trying it out...I'm also looking forward to a bit of freedom when playing.. not that we play the biggest venues but one of the main reasons is I'm fed up getting caught up in leads and being tied to not being able to move freely around when we play.

which I'm very good at....
    skaguitar said:
    skaguitar said:

Not an apache on me ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitar said:
    skaguitar said:

Not an apache on me ;)
    it's not something I squaw k about
  • skaguitar said:

Now you can run up and down the stage! Even dive into the crowd and shred while floating on the waves of your success. 
  • skaguitar said:

Now you can run up and down the stage! Even dive into the crowd and shred while floating on the waves of your success. 
    I'm going to run out into the crowd and everything...!!