Drunk + PA Speaker = Disaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Fez said:
    I bought a bass bin for the PA last year and it's so much better than a tripod it's pretty much worth the truck n' hump. I have considered making a dummy one to negate the need for tripods altogether.
    we have bass bins on our PA...this then presents the problem of people using them as a drinks table and at the end of the night they are full of empty and half empty glasses... we are thinking of making some cone shaped devices to fit around the poles to discourage this...I'm not sure if they've been invented yet but it may be a dragons den moment...lol

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skaguitar said:

we have bass bins on our PA...this then presents the problem of people using them as a drinks table and at the end of the night they are full of empty and half empty glasses... we are thinking of making some cone shaped devices to fit around the poles to discourage this...I'm not sure if they've been invented yet but it may be a dragons den moment...lol

@skaguitar I have had this thought too! Haven't done anything about it though. When I randomly come across the right kind of plastic or whatever, I will have a go at it. I play acoustic so hitting transgressors with a telecaster is not possible (unless I bring the telecaster specially).
    My band: Hedge Gods
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • @bluechargeboy ; I think something along the lines of the kind of things they put round dogs and cats necks when they have an op... something that just velcroes together..?. we could offer the dragons 10% of the business for a £100,000 investment then go and blow the lot on guitars and amps...lol

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 3226
    Our bins are modded, basically we have put false sloping tops on the standard Mackie bins. If a punter puts a glass on the bins it fall off and they loose their drink. Not the best pic but you can see one bin here with the paint chipping off the false top triangle piece 

The bit which sits on the pole is also home made and contains 3 Halogen spots and 4 mains sockets 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969 said:
    Our bins are modded, basically we have put false sloping tops on the standard Mackie bins. If a punter puts a glass on the bins it fall off and they loose their drink. Not the best pic but you can see one bin here with the paint chipping off the false top triangle piece 

The bit which sits on the pole is also home made and contains 3 Halogen spots and 4 mains sockets 
    you beat us to it..!.. on a serious note that is the sort of thing I meant but a cone going all the way round.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 27563
    Fez said:
    I bought a bass bin for the PA last year and it's so much better than a tripod it's pretty much worth the truck n' hump. I have considered making a dummy one to negate the need for tripods altogether.
    Just buy a Wharfedale. They have an automatic dummy mode after the warranty runs out.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • @Danny1969 is that a side fill monitor clamped to the pole for the top?
    My band: Hedge Gods
    Danny1969 said:

That really shows the experience of true professionals :).

Also cool to see the sophisticated wheeled keyboard stand ;).

I bet no-one argues with your bass player either - he's huge! The bass looks smaller on him than the Strat does on the other guitarist...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 50
    edited January 2
    Iv had a pissed up punter fall over the monitor in front of me at a small pub gig. Crashed passed me and knocked my guitar stand over, scraping my mint condition (at the time) Gibson SG Standard down a rough brick wall, gouging the top and taking lumps of wood out, (surprisingly for a Gibbo the neck survived). I also had some woman lean over a side barrier at an out door gig, pick up the same SG from the stand, walk off back into the crowd pretending to play it. She got a bit upset when I stopped playing and had a right go at her in front of everyone. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 80

Slightly different stance on the drunken loon crashing into things

Did a gig last weekend and a huge bloke spent the entire 3 hour set (including our break) hugging the main PA speaker. Asked him to move numerous times but got this blank stare back and the pub bouncers wouldn't do a bloody thing.

His head must have been in pieces as it's a loud gig with vocals and guitar coming through the main speakers (slightly muffled on one side!!)

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1238
    David5150 said:

Did a gig last weekend and a huge bloke spent the entire 3 hour set (including our break) hugging the main PA speaker.

Sad. Sounds like someone should administer a little Telecaster Therapy...
    Ravenous said:
    David5150 said:

Did a gig last weekend and a huge bloke spent the entire 3 hour set (including our break) hugging the main PA speaker.
    You mean hitting him over the head with it, or simply playing one at full volume through that side of the PA?

:)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 1739
    That looked sooo cramped...I was getting claustrophobic just watching that!   :o
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 80
    Ravenous said:
    David5150 said:

Tried jabbing at the man mountain muffling my beautiful PA system with my trusty Ibanez but the bugger wouldn't shift!!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1238
    David5150 said:
    Ravenous said:
    Tried jabbing at the man mountain muffling my beautiful PA system with my trusty Ibanez but the bugger wouldn't shift!!
    Yeah I was thinking more like the Keef Richards telecaster technique. (An Ibanez would do just as well, though with a Japanese accent.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter