I didn't know it was a cover

What's Hot
24

Comments

  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 4944
    edited December 2017
    AlexC said:
    Nothin Compares 2 U springs to mind. 
    I could be wrong - but I think Sinead released her version before the Prince version was released. Bit like Manic Monday - which he gave to the The Bangles - not sure if he ever released a version of that.
    Prince had a short lived funk band called The Family. "Nothin Compares 2 U" was recorded by them as an album track, then he gave it to Sinead O'Connor. He later recorded a solo version. 

    This is the original one:



    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30242
    prowla said:

    "Since You've Been Gone" was written by Russ Ballard, of Argent
    South African girl group Clout also covered it before Rainbow.


    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 4767
    I knew Kula Shaker’s version of Hush was a cover, but didn’t realise until recently that Deep Purple hadn’t written the original. It’s by Billy Joe Royal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 3691
    edited December 2017
    The Sky is Crying - I’d always assumed that the SRV version was the original since, in  the words of the X Factor judges, he certainly ‘owns it’ or ‘makes it his own’. 

    It was originally by Elmore James...

    https://youtu.be/kFn538A_yBA

    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • prowla said:
    I Love Rock 'n' Roll was originally by Arrows.



    "Since You've Been Gone" was written by Russ Ballard, of Argent, who also wrote "God gave Rock And Roll To You" and who sang "Hold Your Head Up" (though he didn't write that one).

    Russ was pretty prolific 
    Since You've been Gone/I Surrender
    New York Groove / God Gave Rock and Roll to you 
    So You Win again (Hot Chocolate)
    Much of Roger Daltrey's solo stuff

    and many more 

    Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of Earvana nuts, BKP, Oil City And Monty's pickups. Sperzel, Tonepros, Gotoh and Graphtech too!
    Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Step On by The Happy Mondays.. I was gobsmacked I tell thee.



    I didn't either, good cover though.

    Same era, but for years I thought The Soup Dragons "I'm Free" was theirs, until I discovered the Stones original.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • prowla said:
    I Love Rock 'n' Roll was originally by Arrows.



    "Since You've Been Gone" was written by Russ Ballard, of Argent, who also wrote "God gave Rock And Roll To You" and who sang "Hold Your Head Up" (though he didn't write that one).

    Russ was pretty prolific 
    Since You've been Gone/I Surrender
    New York Groove / God Gave Rock and Roll to you 
    So You Win again (Hot Chocolate)
    Much of Roger Daltrey's solo stuff

    and many more 

    Don't forget "Atmosphere" (I love a party with a happy atmosphere). ;)

    R.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • prowla said:
    I Love Rock 'n' Roll was originally by Arrows.



    "Since You've Been Gone" was written by Russ Ballard, of Argent, who also wrote "God gave Rock And Roll To You" and who sang "Hold Your Head Up" (though he didn't write that one).

    Russ was pretty prolific 
    Since You've been Gone/I Surrender
    New York Groove / God Gave Rock and Roll to you 
    So You Win again (Hot Chocolate)
    Much of Roger Daltrey's solo stuff

    and many more 

    Don't forget "Atmosphere" (I love a party with a happy atmosphere). ;)

    R.

    Yeah, Russ Abbott ruined that Joy Division song for me.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 3244
    Step On by The Happy Mondays.. I was gobsmacked I tell thee.



    I didn't either, good cover though.

    John Kongos was massive for about 5 minutes in 1971/72, I remain a big fan.  This album is chock full of superb tunes ....



    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

    Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Louie Louie - The Kingsmen, originally by Richard Berry. I think the guy who used to DJ The Catfish in Brighton had both versions on vinyl. He got understandably irate when we lurched and stumbled over to his decks when out on a mate's stag do.

    I Don't Wanna Talk About It - Rod Stewart. The original by Crazy Horse is so much better.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000 said: up
    The Sky is Crying - I’d always assumed that the SRV version was the original since, in  the words of the X Factor judges, he certainly ‘owns it’ or ‘makes it his own’. 

    It was originally by Elmore James...

    https://youtu.be/kFn538A_yBA

    Albert King reworked Sky, without relistening I'm not sure but I think Stevie's owed more to that.

    Elmore's songs tended to be based on popular blues themes so how much original thought was ever in his version I don't know. 

    [Just looking at Wiki for the song which does suggest SRV based his on the King version ]
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 1218
    AlexC said:
    Nothin Compares 2 U springs to mind. 
    I could be wrong - but I think Sinead released her version before the Prince version was released. Bit like Manic Monday - which he gave to the The Bangles - not sure if he ever released a version of that.
    Prince had a short lived funk band called The Family. "Nothin Compares 2 U" was recorded by them as an album track, then he gave it to Sinead O'Connor. He later recorded a solo version. 

    This is the original one:



    Never knew or heard that before. thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeillNeill Frets: 372
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I only found out recently that Denis, Denis by Blondie was originally done by Randy and The Rainbows and was called Denise!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Neill said:
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 860
    Apache not the Shadows

    Elouise not the Dammed

    Money not the Beatles

    Tainted Love not Soft Cell

    Popcorn not Hot Butter



    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 817
    Neill said:
    I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know the Isley Brothers "Summer Breeze" was a cover, Seals & Crofts having written and recorded it originally.  
    I didn't know that. Don't think I've ever heard the original.
    I much prefer Seals and Crofts version.  When I was a teenager I didn't realise I'm Free wasn't by the Soup Dragons.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5113

    I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

    I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 12341
    dindude said:

    I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

    I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

    Rolf Harris?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5113
    dindude said:

    I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

    I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

    Rolf Harris?
    Erm, no. And thankfully neither was the family friend!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeillNeill Frets: 372
    dindude said:

    I remember being a lad (prob about 10 or 11 years old, a few years before I picked up a guitar) and came across a song called Stairway to Heaven and was amazed and obsessed with it, would listen to it over and over again on headphones. One evening a family friend asked what I was listening to and was amazed that it wasn't Led Zeppelin and then turned me onto the original version, which I had no idea about!

    I can't even recall who the version I was listening to was by, it was a fairly faithful recreation by a semi-famous band I recall, but just can't place it. Any ideas?

    Almost certainly that version by "Far Corporation". Apparently even the Zep liked it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 9855
    edited December 2017
    I rather like the Scissor Sisters Comfortably numb cover. It's certainly different!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hurt, by Johnny Cash. I know, that's an embarrassing one.

    That song that Gary Jules did for Donnie Darko. Turns out it was some crap 80's band called Tears for Fears who wrote it. Before my time.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Not In Love by Crystal Castles....

    https://youtu.be/pluMxKU74Uw

    Actually began life as... 

    https://youtu.be/dp4-hosv0Us


    This was news to me. Absolutely love the CC version. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Clashman said:
    I had Goodbye Jumbo and Bang by World Party and was gobsmacked when I found out
    they wrote She's the one ...

    I was quite a fan of World Party and Karl Wallinger back then (after his stint in the Waterboys). I remember Robbie getting a Brit (or somesuch award) for that song and thanking a whole load of people....except the guy who wrote it! 

    Still Karl did very well out of the royalty cheques, so I guess he's not that bitter.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 282
    boogieman said:
    I knew Kula Shaker’s version of Hush was a cover, but didn’t realise until recently that Deep Purple hadn’t written the original. It’s by Billy Joe Royal. 
    I only found that out it was a cover recenly, in fact whilst driving home from dinner with several tFB folk in Cambridge, during which the subjects of both (a) Deep Purple and (b) songs we didn't know were covers, both came up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5113
    aord43 said:
    boogieman said:
    I knew Kula Shaker’s version of Hush was a cover, but didn’t realise until recently that Deep Purple hadn’t written the original. It’s by Billy Joe Royal. 
    I only found that out it was a cover recenly, in fact whilst driving home from dinner with several tFB folk in Cambridge, during which the subjects of both (a) Deep Purple and (b) songs we didn't know were covers, both came up!
    And did you know that the song I highlighted above was the follow up single to Chris Rea's famous Christmas tune.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • simonsimon Frets: 41
    Not strictly a cover, but I Heard it Through the Grapevine was released by Gladys Knight and the Pips before Marvin Gaye's more famous version.
    Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and covered later by Amy Winehouse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 5427
    edited December 2017
    Singer in one of my bands introduces Hard to Handle as a Black Crowes song....and I Fought the Law as a Clash song....both wrong!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30242
    simon said:

    Valerie - recorded by the Zutons and murdered later by Amy Winehouse.
    Edited for accuracy.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.