Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

U2 at the BBC

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    Achtung Baby is my fave as well although The Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree are blinding bits of work too. As a Live band they have always been the best stadium band  in the world 
    Guitar wise The Edge is as important as VH and Hendrix, he inspired me and thousands of others to play the guitar in a different way, harmonically and rhythm wise  to what was being done before .... nowadays you hear his influence and style in modern country records and other genes as well as countless rock and pop songs. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    impmann said:

I loved Achtung Baby and I think I was the only person to like Zooropa.
    Not at all, it's one of my favourites. I also really like Pop which is similarly often dismissed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    impmann said:

I loved Achtung Baby and I think I was the only person to like Zooropa.
    Not at all, it's one of my favourites. I also really like Pop which is similarly often dismissed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Zooropa is fantastic. Not in the same way that Achtung Baby is fantastic, but it’s a damn good record with some gems on it (Daddy’s gonna pay and Dirty Day in particular)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been feeling non-plussed for quite a few albums...Songs of Experience is a proper upturn!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Not arsed. I saw a preview where Cat Deeley called them "the biggest rock band on the planet."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited December 2017
    I also really like Pop which is similarly often dismissed.
    Have a wiz........very underrated album. Straight out of the German techno movement.... :)

Not sure on the 'Coldplay' comparisons - but there is little to deem a highlight on the last two albums. How to dismantle an atomic bomb was a cracker.  

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Bit too much of Cat Deely (if that is possible) and not enough tunes.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • My Problem's not with U2, well bono can be a bit of a self righteous preacher sometimes but with the BBC.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
    Watching it now.Agreed,to much Cat Deeley but With Or Without You a definite Goosebump moment.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    impmann said:

I loved Achtung Baby and I think I was the only person to like Zooropa. However, this latest album (as with previous one) just seems to be more of the same of the mid-paced, disposable pop. I agree that they have evolved massively since the early albums but the last few have been dire, IMHO. Edge is still brilliant and I *TOTALLY* agree about Bono vs Ego, he's a great front man and yes he's still trying to find sunlight in the depths of his arsehole but he commands a crowd like few others.
    He's found it, that's what the sunglasses are for.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    edited December 2017
    I just watched U2 at the BBC on iPlayer and I was expecting to be disappointed and frustrated but I thought they were bloody good. Bono looked and sounded nervous as hell in the interview sections with Cat Deeley, not half as pompous as I expected.

The band sounded good and the orchestra and choir really embellished the songs well. The sound was well mixed and while Edge is probably using his Axe-FX direct to desk, and while there's not the force and power of old, he sounded good. I think I saw his 3 or 4 Axe-FX lit up towards the side and the Fender Deluxe, so maybe he is amped up, I dunno.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    edited December 2017

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806
    Jalapeno said:
    Bit too much of Cat Deely (if that is possible) and not enough tunes.
    No, that's not possible.
  • Just finished watching it. I really enjoyed it, the new songs sat quite well with the old and those versions of the older material were spot on. I think Larry was one of the highlights for me, some tasty stuff there compared to what he usually plays.

The interviews were alright too, especially the one that cut to Brazil. You get a sense of the scale of production that goes into those shows. There must have been at least 30-35 guitars in those racks too!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Sassafras said:
    He's found it, that's what the sunglasses are for.
    I thought he still hadn't found what he was looking for...?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11872
    ICBM said:

ToneControl said:

what band of 60 year olds doesn't stop evolving?
    Robert Plant is a lot older than that, and he’s still musically evolving...
    ah, I said band
    A solo artist can bring in different sounds, textures and generations,
    An existing band are who they are
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14165
    tFB Trader
    I just watched U2 at the BBC on iPlayer and I was expecting to be disappointed and frustrated but I thought they were bloody good. Bono looked and sounded nervous as hell in the interview sections with Cat Deeley, not half as pompous as I expected.

The band sounded good and the orchestra and choir really embellished the songs well. The sound was well mixed and while Edge is probably using his Axe-FX direct to desk, and while there's not the force and power of old, he sounded good. I think I saw his 3 or 4 Axe-FX lit up towards the side and the Fender Deluxe, so maybe he is amped up, I dunno.
    pretty much agree with that - watched it last night, in part after reading FB comments - enjoyed it

I've heard there is another update to follow, with more numbers that they didn't show this time round but will run shortly - someone said over Christmas - so update me if you know more than that
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Zoolooter said:
    ICBM said:
    It’s become fashionable to knock them recently which I don’t really understand. Bono has a big ego? Good! That’s what a lead singer should be like! They don’t sound like how they did 40 years ago? Good! That’s the sound of a band evolving and playing what they want to play. I think they’re great!
    My problem is that they now sound like they did 13 years ago. They really haven't evolved over the last three or four albums, but just turned out the same sort of stuff with ever-decreasing inspiration - I haven't got the new one yet but it sounds like more of the same from the couple of tracks that have been on the radio.

I think they're great too, but I have to admit I am beginning to lose interest, at least in their new material.

I don't mind Bono's ego too much either, even though he can be a bit too pompous and self-righteous sometimes.
    I totally agree. Over the last four albums, apart from one or two songs there is nothing dynamic, urgent or inventive about them. Particularly the last two, very bland, very Coldplay. I'm a massive fan up to Pop. Just got to appreciate that they gave us Achtung Baby, one of the most groundbreaking and brilliantly albums IMO. 

Not a U2 fan at all but Achtung Baby is still one of the best albums in the world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom