Guitar quarterly....?

What's Hot
What did happen to this?...I got book No1  then all gone quiet.....I saw a thread a while back but nothing more.

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    There’s another thread on here I’ve just posted to.

In that thread @JookyChap said before Christmas. Nobody knows which year.

It’s turning into a pantomime farce where someone will claim it’s behind you.

Lesson learned about handing over sums of money to people who promise the earth and then feck off with the proceeds.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    Can I just say there is NO FUCKING WAY that jooky would have run off with any money, he is the most generous person that’s ever been in here, now wash your mouth out.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Can I just say there is NO FUCKING WAY that jooky would have run off with any money, he is the most generous person that’s ever been in here, now wash your mouth out.
    I'd agree with this.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Appreciate there might be a problem, but surely that should be communicated to the subscribers, we have after all, paid for something that hasn’t been delivered?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Sassafras said:
    I'd agree with this.
    I'd  agree with you agreeing with that.

spark240 said:
    Appreciate there might be a problem, but surely that should be communicated to the subscribers, we have after all, paid for something that hasn’t been delivered?
    But this is also true.
    :(

Jooky's last comment on the situation was;
    JookyChap said:
    Hi Chaps

Well, I totally ballsed this up didn't I?

I'm not quite sure where to start but to say sorry for the silence. It has been a bit of a ropey blakc-of-dog kind of time, but no excuses, I should have let people know what was happening with the magazine and instead I kept digging, which was pretty dumb.

I know how weak this probably sounds but as I've said to a few people direct we have had all manner of printer problems. I've  lost track how many times we've gone around the loop of finding someone new and then they haven't worked out. It was bad enough before the first issue and I didn't think it could be worse after that, but there we are.

As for where we are now. I'm pleased/relieved/somewhat stunned to be able to say that we have finally got it sorted and that the second issue will be with people before Xmas. Really, in 3D and everything. Which is a relief as a twice a year quarterly is a bad enough joke, an annual would have been proper shonky.

From there issue 3 is already done and will be out end of February/start of March, and the fourth April/May. So at least we'll get the 4 issues in within the year from the first if not all in 2017 as planned. 

Does that make it better? Nope, I feel a proper dickhead to be totally honest, and I feel I've let a lot of chaps on here that I consider mates down. So sorry, but it will be sorted now, and if you'll still have me, I'll be knocking around again now if that is OK?

(my emphasis in the above quote)

But he's not been seen here since Nov 29, which I guess means that things have not gone entirely to plan, re-plan, re-re-plan, or ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • How much are people paying for this book?  
    TTony said:
    Sassafras said:
    I'd agree with this.

spark240 said:
    But this is also true.

JookyChap said:
    Hi Chaps

I'm not quite sure where to start but to say sorry for the silence. It has been a bit of a ropey blakc-of-dog kind of time, but no excuses, I should have let people know what was happening with the magazine and instead I kept digging, which was pretty dumb.

I know how weak this probably sounds but as I've said to a few people direct we have had all manner of printer problems. I've  lost track how many times we've gone around the loop of finding someone new and then they haven't worked out. It was bad enough before the first issue and I didn't think it could be worse after that, but there we are.

As for where we are now. I'm pleased/relieved/somewhat stunned to be able to say that we have finally got it sorted and that the second issue will be with people before Xmas. Really, in 3D and everything. Which is a relief as a twice a year quarterly is a bad enough joke, an annual would have been proper shonky.

From there issue 3 is already done and will be out end of February/start of March, and the fourth April/May. So at least we'll get the 4 issues in within the year from the first if not all in 2017 as planned. 

Does that make it better? Nope, I feel a proper dickhead to be totally honest, and I feel I've let a lot of chaps on here that I consider mates down. So sorry, but it will be sorted now, and if you'll still have me, I'll be knocking around again now if that is OK?

But he's not been seen here since Nov 29, which I guess means that things have not gone entirely to plan, re-plan, re-re-plan, or ...
    ... or he’s fecked off on his Christmas do without telling anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    fandango said:
    TTony said:
    Sassafras said:
    I'd agree with this.

spark240 said:
    But this is also true.

JookyChap said:
    Hi Chaps

... or he’s fecked off on his Christmas do without telling anyone?
    As has been pointed out by a number of members who know him personally, it's very unlikely this is the case. 

I've not followed the whole saga, but just from the post that Tony quoted, sounds like he's had a really fucking rough time of it with some mental health issues, which are no fucking joke, let me tell you. No, that's not an excuse (he says as much in his post), but lets hope that because he's not been heard from since 29th of November that he's actually OK, before we start pointing fingers about him running off with people's money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3901
    Jooky is an absolute diamond. Hope he's ok and equally hope you all get what you're owed.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    You know what..., I too hope everything is ok,...Im really not fussed about the money,...and if the whole thing has failed due to circumstance then so be it.  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    Seriously doubt he's doing anything untoward.
    On music radar I bought a bareknuckle tele pickup from him. Didn't fit it for months and months and when I did I found out it was broken. 
    I didn't say anything to him but I did mention it in a thread about bareknuckle, not mentioning him or that I got it on the forum.
    He worked out that I was referring to the one he sold me, contacted me in private and gave me a full refund even though I'm sure it was getting close to a year afterwards.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    The weekly emails (4:52) flutter into my inbox regularly, not that I always read them but it shows some effort to produce content is ongoing. it would be a good time over the Christmas hols to read the first edition (it sits waiting on my coffee table).
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7780

Having been in a slightly similar situation (the "fault" was my own, not other people letting me down) I can understand and sympathise with both sides in this.

As someone trying and failing to provide what was promised, it does begin to press down on you and if it involves someone on a forum you both visit regularly it's probably not long before the forum becomes a place to avoid, for fear of being asked questions you're struggling to answer.

Even if it does involve problems with a third party it becomes harder and harder to justify the delay, and in my case it became harder and harder to continue with the work as it became a huge source of anxiety.

I don't know Jooky personally, but enough folk here who do and who are prepared to vouch for him suggest that this will be sorted eventually - I wouldn't be surprised if it only lasts for as long as people have paid for as I'm sure for his own sanity it would be easier to walk away once everyone who has paid receives their product.

This why I no longer build guitars ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Paul_C said:

Having been in a slightly similar situation (the "fault" was my own, not other people letting me down) I can understand and sympathise with both sides in this.

As someone trying and failing to provide what was promised, it does begin to press down on you and if it involves someone on a forum you both visit regularly it's probably not long before the forum becomes a place to avoid, for fear of being asked questions you're struggling to answer.

Even if it does involve problems with a third party it becomes harder and harder to justify the delay, and in my case it became harder and harder to continue with the work as it became a huge source of anxiety.

I don't know Jooky personally, but enough folk here who do and who are prepared to vouch for him suggest that this will be sorted eventually - I wouldn't be surprised if it only lasts for as long as people have paid for as I'm sure for his own sanity it would be easier to walk away once everyone who has paid receives their product.

this is why I no longer build commissioned guitars ;)
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I don't know Jooky either, but lots of people I respect on here hold him in high regard so I've little doubt that its not a case of running off with the cash.

Having said that...  it's poor form that a quick email couldn't have been sent out. I didn't even see that post that Tony has quoted.

I hope he's ok and couldn't really care less about the Quarterly - if it arrives, it arrives - but I'll not be re-subscribing, I'm afraid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • How much are people paying for this book?  
    It was a long time ago so I may have forgotten but I think it was £40 for an annual subscription which promised 4 editions.  So £10 per book.   However like others I don't for one moment believe that Jooky has done anything untoward.  Something has gone seriously amis.  He will have been working his socks off to try to solve the situation, though a bit more communication never hurts.      That said, £40 isn't going to kill me, its not like he's run off with my life savings.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I hope it comes out eventually but it’s no bother. If it’s on hold for whatever reason that’s fine with me.

It would be good to get an update though, because it could be something we can help with.
    As others say, it's not solely about the money.

For me, it's as much about trust, making good on one's word, meeting and honouring self-made commitments and being accountable.

Yet JookyChap continues to issue the free (and rather good) 4:52am every week without fail, so we all know he's not done a runner. And we know he can meet a deadline. And have great material/ articles/ photos/ content to fill several Guitar Quarterlies several times over. 

There's obviously some challenges, so (other than chuck more money at the problem) what can we do to help? Is it an encouraging word from those in closer contact with him? Is it practical assistance he needs? Is it professional advice?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Paul_C said:

Working in the wedding business for 12/13 years I can certainly agree with this. Anxiety, stress... they take their toll over time so I really hope Mark is okay. 

And i agree with what has been said already.. it’s despicable that anyone would accuse him of taking the money and running.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Like others I really don't care about the money, or the book for that matter.
    The important thing is that all is well with Mark. The lack of communication just isn't like him at all.
    @JookyChap let us know how you're doing and Merry Christmas

J