Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Official 'Budget gear that impresses you 2017' Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited December 2017
    Yongnuo yn680 speedlights. 
    You have my interest piqued! I'm sick of lugging our big bowens flash around just to take a simple portrait when I'm not in the studio. Our old canon flashgun is awful - takes forever to recharge! Will definitely check this out in the new year! 

The £50 reflectors with holder and stand have been a godsend for me on solo shoots, no more hanging up a reflector disc on a light stand and hoping it stays in place :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Jet City JC20HV single channel vintage voiced head, epic value.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    edited December 2017
    munckee said:
    Not a guitar but a Joyo American Sound pedal.  Most people use it for an amp simulator into a PA but for a bit of drive and a nice alnico sound and some EQing in front of a 5w champ, its a brilliant pedal for £34.
    Gotta support that (sure I paid more from Thomann) but this has been used regularly as my only effect into amp, or straight into the desk on small gigs for the past year. The range of sounds is impressive.  Extremely useful, extremely pleasantly surprised
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/104342/

One of these , albeit with cream coloured soap bars 

ok, picked up just over a year ago for £90 in untouched / unused condition, intended to be used as a backup for rough pub gigs , but am amazingly impresssed with it 
    god knows who made the P90s and how good they are compared to others, but it fits nice,y between my strat single coils and humbucker guitars.
    really quite raunchy
    i hate the headstock though
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Boss Katana 100 1x12. Stunning.
    I've heard they cure cancer too...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Picked up a lightly used Digitech Rp360xp from Gumtree a couple of months back. They retail at about £150+ new, I got mine for £50 delivered! 

It's got tons of effects and amp models (some admittedly better than others!), an expression pedal, about 50 built-in drum backing tracks, and a looper. As a casual home practising tool, it really can't be faulted for what I paid for it! 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Screwfix own-brand Workmate knockoff workbench. £25. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • my epiphone es 339 off ebay for £171, my gig guitar of choice for the last 5 gigs.   and of course my boss katana 100 my gig amp of choice for the last  25 or more gigs.   and a boss tu3 tuner i bought new (very unusual for me) has saved much aggravation and tuning woes at gigs
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Chinese Tokai love rock bought for £200 on Gumtree and Katana50
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    £11.61 worth of mega push for your drives and then some!

http://files.effectsdatabase.com/gear/pics/kokko-mini_fbs2_001.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've heard they cure cancer too...

Damn it! If I had known that I'd have got Mrs Fred one. It would have saved all that dicking around with Chemotherapy. 

Incidently, I've enjoyed plonking around on a Yamaha apx-5a I got a fortnight ago from eBay. Ok it's not exactly a Martin and it had a few little dents but for the princely sum of £13 it seems like a perfectly useable instrument. Good bit of bargain hunting that was.
  • I had to replace my Boss SD-1 this year. Still one of the best budget drive pedals around and it’ll still only set you back around £50! 

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  • TTBZ said:
    Yongnuo yn680 speedlights. 
    You have my interest piqued! I'm sick of lugging our big bowens flash around just to take a simple portrait when I'm not in the studio. Our old canon flashgun is awful - takes forever to recharge! Will definitely check this out in the new year! 

The £50 reflectors with holder and stand have been a godsend for me on solo shoots, no more hanging up a reflector disc on a light stand and hoping it stays in place :)

If you've the budget, look at the godox ad200. It's sort of a speedlight format, but off camera only, has high speed sync and each one is roughly the same power as three ganged speedlights. 

Up close in an umbrella you can just about match sun - good for fill, not so much making it look like evening. There is also a new gadget to gang two up on one mount for a 400w/s flash that can just about overpower later afternoon sun. Nice. And cheaper than most portable studio heads... 

I really want a couple, as they look amazing and work with s-mount kit. The Yongnuo yn680 is decent though - I don't often use TTL but when I do, it's very accurate with exposure even in pretty dark conditions. 
  • £450 is "budget"?
    These things are relative, I think.

With that in mind, I'm going to nominate the Helix LT. Currently £687, which is still a big wedge of cash but probably a small fraction of the cost of the pedalboards it'd replace and about half the price of the equivalent units from Kemper, Fractal et al.

Obviously, pretty much any Jet City amp qualifies.

Finally...the Joyo Quattro. Just shy of £50 for a fantastic-sounding delay (and the analogue mode knocked spots off my Eventide Time Factor), proper solid metal casing and it even has trails when you bypass it! Even the Flashback Mini doesn't do that.
    <space for hire>
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I’d like to nominate my LP 1959 burst - skinner. It sounds great, I use it most nights and it was the cheapest of my 6 bursts and considerably cheaper than my 1958 Flying V. 

Anyhow merry christmas 

yours
    Joe Bonamassa 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Zoom MS-70 CDR - a tuner and most effects done really well, especially and obviously, the chorus, delay and reverb but the pitch stuff is good. The recent, free firmware update just adds more goodness.

New or used, a bargain.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887

Kebabkid said:
    Zoom MS-70 CDR - a tuner and most effects done really well, especially and obviously, the chorus, delay and reverb but the pitch stuff is good. The recent, free firmware update just adds more goodness.

New or used, a bargain.
    Cos, Steve Mac from Aussie Floyd is using that exclusively for all of the Dark Side Vibe tones and he raves about it!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Not owned but a friend brought his one over and I was very impressed with the Joyo DC-30w amp.

Decent sounds, fx weren't bad and plenty of oomph and bottom end. I believe they're just over a £100 new and whilst it hasn't got the FX versatility of a Katana, I think it holds up well against it on the modelled sounds.
    Not owned but a friend brought his one over and I was very impressed with the Joyo DC-30w amp.

Decent sounds, fx weren't bad and plenty of oomph and bottom end. I believe they're just over a £100 new and whilst it hasn't got the FX versatility of a Katana, I think it holds up well against it on the modelled sounds.
  • Kebabkid said:

It seems like it has a good slapback echo Cos.

=) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom