ageing a scratchplate

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• well, having discovered some fine wet n dry, I beavered away resulting in an unexpected finish before discovering there was a protective film. Having surmounted that problem, I have tried tea for 48 hours and now purchased some colron! Really like the way Wez has got that additional dirt around the nut on the jack socket. That's awesome 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Make sure you have some white spirit too.  I garantee you will either buff it all off too soon, or leave it too long and not buff enough on the first go.  

It might take a few attempts to get the look where you want it.  
  • Tadaah  .... pretty durn close if i say so myself 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658

there you go..  
  • Not that pic posting again! I swear it was there when I did preview!
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 505
    edited December 2017
    just testing 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    still nothing...
    I’m going to do my scratchplate. A light sanding followed by 2 days of tea and coffee, then some boot polish for dirt. 
    5 days of coffee/tea did little to the mint green scratchplate or pots, although a nice cream to the pickups and selector.
    Next is boot polish.
    May I also add that I sanded down the edges on all the pickups from the modern angular edge to the soft vintage edge.
    A turquoise crayon to the numbers and letters on the pots should be good. My mate did it on my other strat and it looks very effective.
    BTW, when I took off the original 8 hole single ply cream pickguard, I discovered that its original colour was white! I took a look at a photo when I first bought it from my mate and it was indeed white. It seems that the treatment effect needed a few years in sunlight or perhaps that particular plastic doesn't stand up well to sunlight (not that it was ever in direct sunlight).