How important is confidence with Guitar playing? What does everyone do to improve?

What's Hot
edited December 2017 in Technique
Hi all,

I've always thought an overlooked aspect of a Guitarists ability is confidence (as I guess it is in many things in life)

I want to discuss the overlooked importance of confidence whilst playing the guitar. Can playing the Guitar be ever considered like a sport where there is a need to perform on the spot - every time?

How can a player improve confidence? What do you all think?

Cheers,

I made a vlog discussing this

[admin edit - YT link removed ]
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Ummmm...are you asking or telling?
  • hey @antifash definitely not telling - I just want to get people to discuss it and tell me what they think. 

What do you think? For instance what is it more desirable to be? an amazing bedroom Guitarist who crumbles at a gig, or an above average Guitarist who plays well at every gig?

Cheers
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    hey @antifash definitely not telling - I just want to get people to discuss it and tell me what they think. 

What do you think? For instance what is it more desirable to be? an amazing bedroom Guitarist who crumbles at a gig, or an above average Guitarist who plays well at every gig?

Cheers
    I know what I'd rather be......
  • I think its an important aspect to develop confidence, you have to perform and do it regularly. Before I played properly the thought of performing in front of others terrified me and I was very shy and didn't have much confidence in my playing or my myself.

12 years playing in touring rock bands later and now a private tutor it doesn't occur to me I'm playing in front of someone else and I actually find it more weird there's no one to perform to than there is. You just get used to forgetting the fact they're watching you and get into the mindset they want you to play well and not pick up on every mistake you make.

Filming yourself is also another way, however weird it sounds. Trying to get it in one take is a challenge, when you watch it back then you will discover tiny mistakes.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2017
    ... [deleted a load of stuff].
    Jim, it's an interesting subject.

• Hey dude, welcome to the forum.  Why not take a look around, get involved, and tell people openly that you're starting a guitar vlog and would be interested in people's thoughts, how do your videos come across, are they useful, interesting, etc. Forgive me for saying but your posts have come across as if you are only pretending to be interested in starting a discussion on here, simply in order to drive traffic to your channel.  I think that's why the admins have edited the post above. (Nothing gets past them, ever.)

People on here are a lovely bunch, and would readily give you help and feedback, I'm sure, if approached in the right way.  Just be open with people. 

P.s. We also have some wonderful classifieds, for when you get bored of that PRS! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom