Session Playing

What's Hot
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong category but not sure where to post. At last nights gig I was asked by an accomplished musician if I was a session player which was a lovely compliment but sadly I’m not. I was just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get into that line of work? Cheers, Steve. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    There’s no set route (that I’m aware of), but aligning yourself with a producer who has their own studio is a good start. People will often come in and need a band behind them or some guitar parts. And then your reputation bulds. Is the idea!
  • Thanks @AlexC, any ideas the best route for searching for a producer? I’m a complete novice in this department! 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Its not who you know , its who you blow ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    do a short video, get onto social media and search out all the producers etc, follow them and post your material, join forums like Produce like a Pro, post your material there, the guys are always look for contributors to songs.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Sound advice from @AlexC and @spark240. Session work for guitarists can be very competitive because there are so many excellent players around. It sometimes helps to be able to offer an additional instrument or two, particularly if it's something less commonly played than guitar. I had doors opened because I could play Dobro to pro standard and at that time not too many could in Britain. From there it's easier to gain guitar work once you are known.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    west said:
    It's not who you know , it's who you blow.
    Crude but, essentially, true.

Personal contacts. Networking. If people organising sessions get to know you and like what you can do, they will hire you whenever what you can do is what they want.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    My mate who's a session player says contacts can get on one-off gigs etc. but to get repeat work its actually more about whether people want to spend time with you. i.e. make genuine friendships and don't be a cocky dick - nice guys do well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    BBBlues said:
    My mate who's a session player says contacts can get on one-off gigs etc. but to get repeat work its actually more about whether people want to spend time with you. i.e. make genuine friendships and don't be a cocky dick - nice guys do well
    yes.... totally...
    plus... being reliable, on time, all your gear works, well rehearsed.. totally together, knowing what you are doing..

and to really make it as a session player.. you need a fairy godmother...
    that special well connected mate that knows the right person at the right time that enables a door to open for you that is pretty much closed to the general public..
    once that door is open, it's then down to you to make the most of that opportunity..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I found getting studio session work easy, the hard part was building a studio from scratch and getting the punters in while going bankrupt in the process :)

It really is all about building up contacts, in five years of running that studio I met so many people in the music game it would have been pretty hard not to have been asked to do something at some point. I played keys, bass and guitar on various things from shitty cover stuff to a lot of original rap music and P&W.  I haven't done a recording session since ditching the studio but I'm still working live with some of those people now. You make contacts who become friends and hopefully over the years you keep them. It helps if you get out and see other muso's ... that can be hard when you have a family because even though you might be giging 3 nights a week yourself you still have to get out there and see other bands \ gigs \ jams \ charity do's otherwise you become singular and off the map and then you never get any work. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the advice and help! I’ll try the suggestions made and see how I get on. Cheers!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    It probably doesn't have to be said but I'll say it - to do session work you need to be able to sight-read sheet music to an impeccable standard as well. You may book sessions where you're not told in advance what you're doing and they will throw some music down in front of you and start recording. Good luck!
  • I actually know a guy that does session work and he can’t read a note!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I can't read music either, well I can but not fast enough to sight read. I never saw any guitarist real music in the studio but we did use a lot of Nashville charts which is basically just writing music as intervals. 
    Having the ability to sight read is a wonderful skill though and it's something I keep going back to to try a move a little further forward. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I actually know a guy that does session work and he can’t read a note!
    Tim Pierce, one of the most prolific session guitarists out there, doesn't read music.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I actually know a guy that does session work and he can’t read a note!
    me too...
    however, the session player I know that reads really well [and needs it] plays in a orchestra that does musicals etc..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • I think it would definitely open more doors to sight read.