What links Dave Gilmour, Syd Barratt and the humble Telecaster/Esquire?

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
edited December 2017 in Music
It's another video. No apologies, but this one shows DG really working hard and digging in (alongside Rick Wright, Guy Pratt et al), and thoroughly enjoying himself in a fantastic rendition of Astronomy Domine. I’m sure he must be wondering what the lyrics “Lime and limpid green” and “Flicker flicker flicker blam pow! pow!” mean. And the whole band are all singing!! Barmy or what?

A lovely touch is Dave's choice of a Telecaster (or Esquire?), replicating Syd Barratt's Esquire guitar of choice.

Enjoy a modern rendition of one of Floyd's classic songs from the late 60's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1_scj2KkE

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Neat post - that was a blast!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Although it doesn’t really have much to do with the Floyd who conquered the world, I love Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and the Syd era; ahead of its time while being completely of its time. thanks for posting. Loved that.

• AlexC said:
    Although it doesn’t really have much to do with the Floyd who conquered the world, I love Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and the Syd era; ahead of its time while being completely of its time. thanks for posting. Loved that.

That's a beautiful summing up of it all. Can I steal it? 75% of the same people, but a totally different band to what they became. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Top drawer. Thanks for that.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Just noted again the look on David’s face at the very end that said “phew, did we just pull that off or what?!?!?!” Certainly took him out of his comfort zone.

I’d love him to try more of Syd’s stuff instead of the well worn.

Reminds me to go see him next time he tours. Especially as i kept missing out on tickets on previous years.

I make no apology to those who dont ‘get’ Floyd/Gilmour. I keep rediscovering odd gems that time forgot. Like this Astronomy Domine, that remind me they were at the forefront of experimenting and pushing boundaries of rock music. It makes the likes of AC-DC, Led Zep, and Clapton rather one dimensional, however successful these three became.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent not seen that before as said different to the band they became but in some ways not in my mind you can hear a thread running through most of the Floyd albums. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    And here's Davey and the boys doing it in the early days:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    fandango said:
    Just noted again the look on David’s face at the very end that said “phew, did we just pull that off or what?!?!?!” Certainly took him out of his comfort zone.
    Err....he's played it on every tour since 1994!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Gassage said:
    fandango said:
    Err....he's played it on every tour since 1994!
    So what? To me that face of his says to me he's working harder with that song (one he didn't pen), than for some of the many songs of his that fall within his normal comfort zone.

What's not to say he has to dig in and rise to the challenge every time he plays it? Makes it all the more special when he does nail it. However so. And that's what happens in the most famous music studio in the world at Abbey Road.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    A great quote from virtuoso guitarist John Etheridge; 

"I was in a pub when in walks Dave Gilmour saying I've just got the gig with the Floyd and I'm getting £325 a week!  
    I thought, enjoy it while you can because without Syd that band's going nowhere..."

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom