Your favourite chord ~ right now ?¿?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1111
    viz said:
    Nice post viz , just the sort of extras I was hoping for, and well explained as usual.
    ...  glad you found it useful / at the right level of detail etc. It’s not easy to judge that properly!
    @viz , having read many of your theory posts, I have to say that you have a nice style, which answers the immediate questions well, and goes on to fill out a lot of contextual details.

By it's very nature that often means a lot of information way beyond my level at that moment.  Kind of what I meant by "we can cherry pick what we need right now, and come back for the full banquet later"  But you always explain things clearly, and in a good progressive way, which means that by coming back a few times the ideas interweave and make sense, and the picture starts to come more into focus.  A great way to learn !

Theoretical knowledge, for me at least, underpins the ability to create and control the emotional reactions which are the very essence of what music is, IMHO.

This forum is a wonderful platform to enable that, so big thanks to you, and Clarky, and all, for your continuing guidance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The more I learn, the more I understand and know.  The irony is that the more I understand, the more the landscape in front of me widens with each iteration, and the more I realise I don't know and have still to learn.

This seems to be the same in every facet of life IMO.  Anyone who tells you they have reached the end of the journey, has misunderstood the question.  It keeps the hunger for life and for knowledge fresh and exciting. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 4458
    viz said:
    Nice post viz , just the sort of extras I was hoping for, and well explained as usual.
    ...  glad you found it useful / at the right level of detail etc. It’s not easy to judge that properly!
    @viz , having read many of your theory posts, I have to say that you have a nice style, which answers the immediate questions well, and goes on to fill out a lot of contextual details.

By it's very nature that often means a lot of information way beyond my level at that moment.  Kind of what I meant by "we can cherry pick what we need right now, and come back for the full banquet later"  But you always explain things clearly, and in a good progressive way, which means that by coming back a few times the ideas interweave and make sense, and the picture starts to come more into focus.  A great way to learn !

Theoretical knowledge, for me at least, underpins the ability to create and control the emotional reactions which are the very essence of what music is, IMHO.

This forum is a wonderful platform to enable that, so big thanks to you, and Clarky, and all, for your continuing guidance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The more I learn, the more I understand and know.  The irony is that the more I understand, the more the landscape in front of me widens with each iteration, and the more I realise I don't know and have still to learn.

This seems to be the same in every facet of life IMO.  Anyone who tells you they have reached the end of the journey, has misunderstood the question.  It keeps the hunger for life and for knowledge fresh and exciting. 
    Oh absolutely! I know very little really; after my grades stopped at 12 everything’s all just developed through reading and listening. But I know the unknown dwarfs the known! And I agree, the theory underpins and explains everything about the music and how and why it works, that’s why I love it so much. But for those for whom it doesn’t add anything, that’s fine too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 551
    I like the D minor shape with the minor 3rd on the D string like: 1323xx, which I think is also a maj6 shape when the E/D string is the root?

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 503
    Asus4 --> Em7
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2554
    edited January 21
    @viz very nice post on the augmented 6th chords..

the thing I like about the German 6th, is that enharmonically is sounds like a dominant 7th chord [even though the chord spelling is totally different]

a little example for folks so that they can hear this thing in action..
    note: purely to make this easy to get your head around, I'll describe the German 6th as it's enharmonic equivalent
    this will be [in terms of music theory] completely incorrect, but at least you'll be able to hear it

as viz pointed out, this family of chords are known as "augmented 6th chords"

ok so a German 6 sounds just like dominant 7 chord rooted on the minor 6th degree of a scale

try these:
    German 6th resolving to Em [which I love]
    C7 - Em / B - B7 - Em
    the C7 is enharmonically the same as the German 6th in E
    note that the following chord is Em in 2nd inversion [Em / B], this is an important part of how to handle an Aug6th chord..

and again but resolving to E major [which I also love, but not quite as much as when it resolves to a minor key]
    C7 - E / B - B7 - E

distant keys...
    key that are considered to be 'close' are those that share the most notes..
    for example.. C contains all natural notes, G is all natural with one #, F is all natural with one b
    these are all closely related cos they share 6 of the 7 notes available..
    changing key between them is easy cos they have a lot in common..
    distant keys have the least number of notes in common
    so... F and E are distant... all the notes are different.. changing key from F to E is tricky..
    the German 6th can come nicely to the rescue

in the key of F:
    I, IV, I, V7 [F, Bb, F, C7]
    the C7 chord is V7 of F.. but it also shares the same pitches as the German 6th in E..
    we can exploit this and decide that C7 is a 'pivot chord' [it belongs in F as V7 and also in E as a Germ6th]
    we then establish the key of E with a V7 -> I in E [B7 to E]
    we end up with this...

F - Bb - F - C7 - E/B - B7 - E

we started in the key of F, and nicely ended up in the key of E

ok so this is the stuff of Beethoven and Schubert..
    however, I have used this in rock songs on occasion and certainly in my movie trailer music
    with and without using it to change key..

without changing key I use it to sound powerful and dramatic [especially in my orchestral pieces]
    like this for example
    note: the C7 chord is actually a German 6th in Em, I'm just writing is as C7 so you know where to put your fingers..
    Em ' ' ' / Am ' ' ' / Em ' ' ' / C7 ' ' ' / Em/B ' ' ' / Bsus4 ' B7 ' / Em ' ' ' /

personally, I think it sounds absolutely beautiful..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter