Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Suddenly thinking I might sell up and go Helix LT in 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Using it just for fx? Don't bother, stick with what you have. Beyond removing cables I'm not sure what the advantage is...

Snapshots, routing, blending, expression control, free new pedals with each update.

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    This IS NOT aimed at anyone but just to warn you that there’s a lot of “I couldn’t get along without helix, just didn’t sound as good as my ___________ pedalboard through my _____ amp and is why i sent it back, total disappointment” opinions from guys that you later found out only tried one for ten minutes through headphones.

Helix is really easy to get going but having owned one for nearly two years now I still feel like I’m only learning it every time I turn it on
    I get what you are driving at but having bought two and sat down for many hours and even gigging one, they really dont get the juices going as much as either a real amp or my Axe-Fx . The Helix is amazing vfm and an absolute doddle to use but it’s a case of “ close but no cigar” as far as my ears are concerned
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I took a different direction. I started off with a Kemper Amp which I really liked, and then I added a Fractal FX8. You can mix 'n' match the effects from both units, and they work well together.

There is not much difference in the used price of a FX8 and a Helix LT, so I would check both of them out to see which is the better unit if you are only after a Multi-FX pedal.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    This IS NOT aimed at anyone but just to warn you that there’s a lot of “I couldn’t get along without helix, just didn’t sound as good as my ___________ pedalboard through my _____ amp and is why i sent it back, total disappointment” opinions from guys that you later found out only tried one for ten minutes through headphones.

Helix is really easy to get going but having owned one for nearly two years now I still feel like I’m only learning it every time I turn it on
    I get what you are driving at but having bought two and sat down for many hours and even gigging one, they really dont get the juices going as much as either a real amp or my Axe-Fx . The Helix is amazing vfm and an absolute doddle to use but it’s a case of “ close but no cigar” as far as my ears are concerned
    Yeah that’s fair enough. Everyone’s different.

for the record I’m happy with the FX, sure an all analog board would sound better but I’m happy.

im less happy with the selection of drive pedals although the ones that are there seem to be pretty good emulations. 

The modelling is good and some some models are better than others but if push came to shove I still prefer S-Gear

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Freebird said:
    I took a different direction. I started off with a Kemper Amp which I really liked, and then I added a Fractal FX8. You can mix 'n' match the effects from both units, and they work well together.

There is not much difference in the used price of a FX8 and a Helix LT, so I would check both of them out to see which is the better unit if you are only after a Multi-FX pedal.
    Cheers @Freebird - I did think about that, having seen at least a couple of FX8's on sale here in the past, and I'm sure they're superb things. In the end though, even if I don't use the amp and cab modelling for a while, I decided I wanted to have it there - I think it will be useful at some point. Anyhow, as per post on the previous page, my Helix LT is ordered (Dawsons) and I just have to wait 'til Tuesday for the lovely thing to arrive. Wondering if I have any chance of sneaking it in the house unnoticed, probably not... :D
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Almost 2 years ago I bought a Helix primarily for recording, Within a month I sold all my amps and most of my effects and use the Helix direct for live work as well.  For smallish gigs it's not only a load less hassle than my old rig it really does sound better too.
    John_A said:
    Almost 2 years ago I bought a Helix primarily for recording, Within a month I sold all my amps and most of my effects and use the Helix direct for live work as well.  For smallish gigs it's not only a load less hassle than my old rig it really does sound better too.
    Good to hear about, cheers @John_A ; - mine will arrive some time tomorrow, so not long to wait now. I'll have to start researching FRFR monitors I think, I do see myself using one with Helix for most of my gigs.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    edited January 2018
    I'm tempted for one to use at home. Such a faff to get all boards, amps etc out.. might encourage me to play more too
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Megii said:
    Freebird said:

Cheers @Freebird - I did think about that, having seen at least a couple of FX8's on sale here in the past, and I'm sure they're superb things. In the end though, even if I don't use the amp and cab modelling for a while, I decided I wanted to have it there - I think it will be useful at some point. Anyhow, as per post on the previous page, my Helix LT is ordered (Dawsons) and I just have to wait 'til Tuesday for the lovely thing to arrive. Wondering if I have any chance of sneaking it in the house unnoticed, probably not... D
    I probably would have got a Helix if I didn't get the Kemper first but as things turned out it made sense to get the FX8, as I was only looking for some added variation in the effects department. In saying that, I do have access to Helix Native, so I'm very lucky in the digital space I also use VST fx such as Soundtoys, Valhalla and Eventide, so I'm well down the digital path now.

Good luck with you new purchase, let us know how it works out for you. The secret is learning how to get the best out of all this new technology, and I'm very much still finding my way
    edited January 2018
    MrSwanson said:
    I'm tempted for one to use at home. Such a faff to get all boards, amps etc out.. might encourage me to play more too
    Go on go on @MrSwanson you know it makes sense... :D 

Freebird said: Megii said: Freebird said: I took a different direction. I started off with a Kemper Amp which I really liked, and then I added a Fractal FX8. You can mix 'n' match the effects from both units, and they work well together.

There is not much difference in the used price of a FX8 and a Helix LT, so I would check both of them out to see which is the better unit if you are only after a Multi-FX pedal. Cheers @Freebird - I did think about that, having seen at least a couple of FX8's on sale here in the past, and I'm sure they're superb things. In the end though, even if I don't use the amp and cab modelling for a while, I decided I wanted to have it there - I think it will be useful at some point. Anyhow, as per post on the previous page, my Helix LT is ordered (Dawsons) and I just have to wait 'til Tuesday for the lovely thing to arrive. Wondering if I have any chance of sneaking it in the house unnoticed, probably not... D I probably would have got a Helix if I didn't get the Kemper first but as things turned out it made sense to get the FX8, as I was only looking for some added variation in the effects department. In saying that, I do have access to Helix Native, so I'm very lucky in the digital space I also use VST fx such as Soundtoys, Valhalla and Eventide, so I'm well down the digital path now.

Good luck with you new purchase, let us know how it works out for you. The secret is learning how to get the best out of all this new technology, and I'm very much still finding my way

Thanks @Freebird, I'm sure Kemper plus FX8 must be an amazing setup - Helix makes sense for me on financial grounds as much as anything. Do appreciate the good luck, as someone very new to this whole digital modelling world - I will be on a learning curve for sure, and will indeed report back on how things are going, good or bad (hopefully good!).
    edited January 2018
    MrSwanson said:
    Yeah, definitely. I've always got my Kemper toaster nearby, and it's usually connected to my laptop which I use as a multi-track recorder. I also got some Sennheiser HD600 headphones which are magical when you need to keep the volume down.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Megii said:
    John_A said:
    Good to hear about, cheers @John_A ; - mine will arrive some time tomorrow, so not long to wait now. I'll have to start researching FRFR monitors I think, I do see myself using one with Helix for most of my gigs.
    I have a dxr10 and a little Db 8" monitor, the Db makes it to most gigs just because it's smaller and lighter, the dxr sounds the business though
  • MrSwanson said:
    Or just leave your stuff out?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    FWIW....I went Helix lt and didn't like the programming etc. 
    Went back to pedals...
    Great kit though.
    John_A said:
    Megii said:
    John_A said:
    I have a dxr10 and a little Db 8" monitor, the Db makes it to most gigs just because it's smaller and lighter, the dxr sounds the business though
    I've heard the dxr10 is excellent. Hadn't come across the Db ones so useful to know about, cheers @John_A. I was looking at the Alto TS210 or maybe the 212 would be better if I also want to use Helix for bass. But I'm getting way ahead of myself... :D 

JonHosker said:
    FWIW....I went Helix lt and didn't like the programming etc. 
    Went back to pedals...
    Great kit though.
    No worries and fair enouugh - hope I get on with the programming better than on the MS-3, wasn't too keen on that.
    Could be delivered any time today anyhow (DPD) - this is happening, apparently...
  • stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    I picked one up yesterday. I only had 1/2 hour thru headphones on it, sounds great to me. I then had another hour or so updating and the messing with routing, snapshots etc. Im looking forward to digging in and getting a lot out of it. Im going to be using it thru thr fx return in my amp for now. Before deciding to buy an frfr speaker or studio monitors as i dont play out anymore. Good luck with it!!
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    MrSwanson said:
    Or just leave your stuff out?
    Not an option I'm afraid :(
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    edited January 2018
    I have used a helix for 6 months now and i have done 20 gigs with it. For gigs i use it with my amp in 4 cable method but i do have a couple of patches set up that i can use direct to pa if the amp fails. This has allowed me to sell my spare valve amp. I like playing about with fx and the helix is so easy to use. That said 90% of my helix playing is in the house with laptop connected playing along to tracks on Spotify and learning new songs. I found it easy enough to get some good sounds but i did buy the Michael Britt preset and ir bundle that took it to the next level. It did take me a few gigs and a few hours in the house to get it dialled in but its worth it. My pedal board is staying because i don't need to sell it but my mate uses it more than me
    steveb said:
    I picked one up yesterday. I only had 1/2 hour thru headphones on it, sounds great to me. I then had another hour or so updating and the messing with routing, snapshots etc. Im looking forward to digging in and getting a lot out of it. Im going to be using it thru thr fx return in my amp for now. Before deciding to buy an frfr speaker or studio monitors as i dont play out anymore. Good luck with it!!
    Thanks, and good to hear it's working for you @steveb - I think I could probably do most of my gigs just on one patch with the snapshots, but will see anyhow.

sw67 said:
    I have used a helix for 6 months now and i have done 20 gigs with it. For gigs i use it with my amp in 4 cable method but i do have a couple of patches set up that i can use direct to pa if the amp fails. This has allowed me to sell my spare valve amp. I like playing about with fx and the helix is so easy to use. That said 90% of my helix playing is in the house with laptop connected playing along to tracks on Spotify and learning new songs. I found it easy enough to get some good sounds but i did buy the Michael Britt preset and ir bundle that took it to the next level. It did take me a few gigs and a few hours in the house to get it dialled in but its worth it. My pedal board is staying because i don't need to sell it but my mate uses it more than me
    Cheers @sw67 all good info for me. Mine should arrive in about 30 minutes. Not looking good for sneaking it in the house, but that was always a long shot. :D