Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Passage of time that shocks you..

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    My little sister ... is now a Grandma!
    I misread that and thought this was a thread about accidents involving time travel.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Chalky said:
    Can you remember when pubs on a Friday night were packed with workers who'd just finished for the week, had a fog of fag-smoke filling them, and the landlord would advise any drunk regulars to drive home slowly?
    Those were the days. The smell of perfume and aftershave, thick fag smoke, sharp suits. The smoking ban killed pub culture. Now we can tap tap tap on our laptops and phones with healthy lungs and poisoned minds.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • What shocks me is recieving CVs from people born in the year 2000. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited December 2017
    There’s a John Martyn song about his (then teenage) daughter which starts with the lines, “I remember when I held her in the palm of just one hand, Tried to keep her out of danger’s way”.

I remember how affecting those words were when I first heard them as a (then) childless man.

Some years later, my son was born on the most beautiful of sunny mornings - and I remembered the words as I held him for the first time. In April next year, that will be 16 years ago....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Emp_Fab said:
    I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.
    And his amplifier didn't go up to 11... Have a LOL...
    (I was racking my brains trying to think where it came from!)
    VimFuego said:
    I'm closer to the grave than the cradle. Literally, I was born in Basingstoke, so that's 150 odd miles away, but live right next door to the churchyard. 
    Dead centre of town?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    Chalky said:
    Can you remember when pubs on a Friday night were packed with workers who'd just finished for the week, had a fog of fag-smoke filling them, and the landlord would advise any drunk regulars to drive home slowly?
    Those were the days. The smell of perfume and aftershave, thick fag smoke, sharp suits. The smoking ban killed pub culture. Now we can tap tap tap on our laptops and phones with healthy lungs and poisoned minds.
    Well, I stopped gpoing to pubs because of the smoke; sadly I never got back into going (regularly) after.
  • That bit when I'm asleep, shocks me how bloody quick it goes.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Alnico said:
    My bus ticket to school used to cost me 15p... Return.
    Mine was 4p single.
    I seriously used to have a whole Saturday morning out for a shilling (5p) when I was a kid. 2d each way bus fare from my house to the nearest cinema. 6d to get in. 2d left over for sweets..you could get 8 blackjacks or fruitsalads for that. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    "All the years keep rolling. The decades flying by. 

But aah, the days are long."

From 'On the Water' by The Walkmen
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I do remember crisps for 6d

It always surprises me how long ago Freddie Mercury died, 28 years I believe.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited December 2017
    I used to drive my  first ever NEW car on leaded petrol @ 50p per Gallon - I still have the car... I was 19 then and had never heard of the Falklands...

http://i60.tinypic.com/wuryq8.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Was debating whether or not to let my boy (just turned 10) watch The Young Ones on DVD, so checked wiki to see when it was first broadcast on BBC...November 1982, 35 years ago, when I was also just 10 years old.  Strewth.

Result?  We chained the whole lot over a week, and he almost threw up laughing when Neil tried to substitute a vegetarian sausage for a stake in "Nasty".  A lot of the old "Britain under the Thatcherite Junta" stuff went over his head, but people hitting each other over the head with planks really hard never dates.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Electric Ladyland came out 5 years before I was born. The other week a lad supporting us was playing some Oasis songs, and I realised that Definitely Maybe came out about 5 years before he was born. Dang.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • merlin said:
    "A pint of beer was still ten bob". Obscure song quote.... 
    It were 5 bob when I were at school, maybe less.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Watched the Vietnam war documentary on TV recently and realised it was 50 years ago.
    The same distance back from when I was a kid learning about the First World War.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    Chalky said:
    Well, I stopped gpoing to pubs because of the smoke; sadly I never got back into going (regularly) after.
    A lot of them are actually nice now. Bit noisy and full of strangers, but they don't stink and the food is much better now.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    still recall 1/2 crown - A crown - a florin - a 10 shilling note and a £1 paper note - sixpence and threepence coin

when I say still recall I mean earning and spending them - my first wage packet as a 13 year old Saturday lad was £1 a day

Not sure I recall a guinea
  • I was in Falklands war as a 19 year old kid, now all my co workers were born after the falklands war! Never more apparent when at my works do recently!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom