Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Passage of time that shocks you..

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    @ICBM don't ask what is new, ask what is good
    They’re not mutually exclusive you know ;). Although I am finding less and less that interests me in new rock music (and more in other genres), that may be more a reflection on me than the music...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    I'm old enough to remember when you'd meet a girl in a pub, and agree to meet again a week later at a certain time and place. Only, you didn't know her address or phone number (many homes had no phone back then), just that you'd arranged to meet.  If one of you didn't turn up or was too late you might never meet again, ever.

Can you imagine that today?

The oldest storyline - boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl - just doesn't work in today's world.
    I’m old enough to remember when I was young enough - and just about good looking enough - that she might turn up a week later....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    ICBM said:
    @ICBM don't ask what is new, ask what is good
    They’re not mutually exclusive you know ;). Although I am finding less and less that interests me in new rock music (and more in other genres), that may be more a reflection on me than the music...
    I think whatever your age or taste it's possible to say fairly objectively that the sounds used in mainstream pop music were mostly in place by the early 90s, and have been juggled or combined in original ways to create new music ever since. 

That's not "nostalgic old man" talking, I'm 53 and mainstream music is infinitely better and more interesting than it was when I was 18.

Once the 80s were out of the way everything pretty much referred back to a classic, retro tonal pallette, not just guitar music, but even hip hop and electronica. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Alnico said:
    My bus ticket to school used to cost me 15p... Return.
    Mine was 4p single.
    Mine was 4d, RETURN !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I remember when Slash just wore a baseball cap.
    Happy Days!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    p90fool said:

I think whatever your age or taste it's possible to say fairly objectively that the sounds used in mainstream pop music were mostly in place by the early 90s, and have been juggled or combined in original ways to create new music ever since. 

That's not "nostalgic old man" talking, I'm 53 and mainstream music is infinitely better and more interesting than it was when I was 18.

Once the 80s were out of the way everything pretty much referred back to a classic, retro tonal pallette, not just guitar music, but even hip hop and electronica. 
    That's true, although I would say that the use (many would say over-use, which is also true) of Auto-Tune since 1997 has drastically changed the sound of modern music.

I certainly agree that music is at least as good and as interesting now as at any time in the past, contrary to the usual belief.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    +1 on the Autotune comment.  I used to say that rap was invented for people who can’t sing, and whilst there is undoubtedly an element of that in it, especially at the lower rungs of the ladder, as I’ve grown, I’ve come to appreciate some of the poetry in the lyrics.  Autotune however literally was invented for people who can’t sing.  It can turn any talentless and tone~deaf plonker into a commercially viable product.  Which is all they are.

Where does that leave the real artists ?  How can you make an impact when one of the main metrics ~ the ability to actually sing well, has been removed?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    Sassafras said:
    I remember when Slash just wore a baseball cap.
    Happy Days!
    Pervert
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    I remember when the dirty newsagent used to sell us single fags also weirdly we had a music shop in our town that sold single guitar strings, invaluable for a newbie who was always breaking the thinnest  one.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    Also as a teenager in the late 80s the 60s and flower power seemed like a lifetime away.  It was only 20yrs previous like 1998
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    edited December 2017
    I can vividly remember decorating the Christmas tree with my mother (still have most of the ornaments now) and her commenting that the new year would be unlike any other as the date was the same either way up and not going to be repeated for 4738 years.  The new year was 1961.

Merry Christmas Everybody is 44 years old.

All right now is 47 years old.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    "... And then the one day you find Ten years have got behind you..."

Too many things in my own life remind me of the passage of time ... house moves, work changes, family changes, etc.

But measuring time by events not involving myself, I'm thinking the Falklands War in 1982 as one such instance. The Vulcan mission is one of my favourite military missions of all-time. Near everyone said it was impossible, yet the British RAF did it. Awesome. The Argies never knew what hit them. (No apologies to the Argentinians, who should have known better than to mess with Thatcher's Britain). When was it? 1982, some 35 years ago!!!! I was kicking around at school dreaming of scud missiles at the time listening to Baggy Trousers, but not quite having discovered Pink Floyd. And it's been 52 years since they formed. Now think back 52 years from 1966, and the First World War had just kicked off.

So much has come and gone in my lifetime (I'm not quite as old as Floyd, but about the same age as The Piper at the Gates of Dawn). The saddest part about the Floyd, is reading their Wikipedia entry "Pink Floyd were ...". Not are, but were. Seeing the demise of people, heroes, groups, things, foods etc that featured prominently in my younger years dropping out of circulation brings a tear to the eye. We'll never see,  hear or taste their like again. And that's probably the hardest part in coping with time.

"...The time is gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say..."
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    My perception of the past is a bit like a guitar fretboard (and it often feels like I'm on the 21st fret) - distant events seem disproportionately further away. I was thinking about this earlier today as it's exactly a year since we sold our last house but it feels like it was only a few weeks ago.  On the other hand we bought our first place in 1986 and that feels like it was in the middle ages - why is this?  

rlw said:
    I can vividly remember decorating the Christmas tree with my mother (still have most of the ornaments now) and her commenting that the new year would be unlike any other as the date was the same either way up and not going to be repeated for 4738 years.  The new year was 1961.

Sorry to be pedantic but you’re 690 years out.  The next visually symmetrical year will be 6009.  That was ‘just’ 4048 years away in 1961.
    What I find strange is how, in the future that is coming, we will be to our descendants what medieval people are to us now.  One big difference, presumably, will be that they won’t have to rely on archeological digs and the rare tapestry to try to assemble a picture of what life was like way back in the 21st century.  They will have video footage of how we lived.

I say presumably because I believe it is very very difficult to make digital archive media that will withstand the passage of hundreds or thousands of years.
  • Emp_Fab said:

I say presumably because I believe it is very very difficult to make digital archive media that will withstand the passage of hundreds or thousands of years.
    persactly. even if the physical storage medium survives, the means of reading the file format and displaying it on a modern monitor will have been superseded many times over (by Apple, Microsoft, or their descendants) and nobody will know how to decode whats been stored.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    Emp_Fab said:
    rlw said:

Sorry to be pedantic but you’re 690 years out.  The next visually symmetrical year will be 6009.  That was ‘just’ 4048 years away in 1961.
    No being pedantic at all  - I guess we never thought of the bleeding obvious at the time....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • fandango said:
    ...The Argies never knew what hit them. (No apologies to the Argentinians, who should have known better than to mess with Thatcher's Britain). When was it? 1982...
    Are you for real? 
    Argies? LOL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

On the same theme, Nevermind is now older than Sergeant Pepper was when Nevermind was made.
    And yet it still sounds completely contemporary, compared to the beatles. 

Says a massive beatles fan. 
    To you and me it might. It probably doesn't to a teenager.

It's also probably a bit of a sad reflection that guitar-based rock music has reached a state of very little further evolution. Some other evidence - the last amplifier to totally redefine what distorted guitar sounds like was probably the Mesa Dual Rectifier... since then, new designs have mostly been about repackaging old sounds in more versatile and user-friendly ways. The Dual Rectifier also came out in 1991.

I don't know - my girlfriend's sister is a teenager and likes nirvana, and was surprised to find out how old the album was.

Although it is somewhat of its time - perhaps it is just indicative that the dual rec was the last big progress. 

I would say, though, that the digital bands have a "new" sound - bands like periphery (try Prayer Position" and protest the hero (try Yellow Teeth) have a sound that I'm not sure would be possible with a solid state or valve amp. 
  • ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

That's true, although I would say that the use (many would say over-use, which is also true) of Auto-Tune since 1997 has drastically changed the sound of modern music.

I certainly agree that music is at least as good and as interesting now as at any time in the past, contrary to the usual belief.
    What I think is different is that pop music has a far, far wider remit than ever before. Just that large chunks of it are intentionally bland. But go looking and there is really good and intetesting pop music to be found.