C18Q1 swampy strat... FINISHED with pics.

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
edited February 1 in Making & Modding
right then, I know it’s not Jan just yet but postie dropped this http://a65.tinypic.com/30argua.jpg through my door this morning so I thought I’d start the thread now!...

gonna build me a nice swampy strat... either sunburst or maybe see through white... will have a rw neck (will try to score one from @GSPBASSES if I can)...

not it sure about pups just yet so any and all recommendations will be welcome...

budget? When the moneys gone it’s gone!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
«134

Comments

  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 1187
    Nice wood! Like mine, it seems a shame to paint it...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    paulnb57 said:
    Nice wood! Like mine, it seems a shame to paint it...
    The last sunburst I did was ash... http://a67.tinypic.com/33bmsrr.jpg
    the grain still comes through... would like to do a more traditional sunburst tho’ alternatively thinking about a see through blonde.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 2131
    Oh cool, ill keep an eye on this! What about a 3 tone burst?
    SC Relics Guitars - Aged Nitro partcaster specialist
    www.screlics.co.uk ••• www.facebook.com/screlicsguitaremporium
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    lonestar said:
    Oh cool, ill keep an eye on this! What about a 3 tone burst?
    Was thinking that... but... not done one before and not sure I could do it with rattle cans... any advice on that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 2131
    poopot said:
    lonestar said:
    Oh cool, ill keep an eye on this! What about a 3 tone burst?
    Was thinking that... but... not done one before and not sure I could do it with rattle cans... any advice on that?
    Hmmm.... you'd need a fairly steady hand and narrow spray pattern to add the orange/red into the mix but im sure its do able. The big disclaimer on my part is ive never done a burst with cans.
    SC Relics Guitars - Aged Nitro partcaster specialist
    www.screlics.co.uk ••• www.facebook.com/screlicsguitaremporium
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    lonestar said:

    Hmmm.... you'd need a fairly steady hand and narrow spray pattern to add the orange/red into the mix but im sure its do able. The big disclaimer on my part is ive never done a burst with cans.
    Seen a couple of “how to’s“ but not convinced it’s as easy as it looks... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 2131
    poopot said:
    lonestar said:

    Hmmm.... you'd need a fairly steady hand and narrow spray pattern to add the orange/red into the mix but im sure its do able. The big disclaimer on my part is ive never done a burst with cans.
    Seen a couple of “how to’s“ but not convinced it’s as easy as it looks... 
    definitely worth a practice run mate. The cool thing is you can do a two tone and then decide whether or not to add the third tint :)
    SC Relics Guitars - Aged Nitro partcaster specialist
    www.screlics.co.uk ••• www.facebook.com/screlicsguitaremporium
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 15136
    Crimson stains are pretty easy to apply, and give good results, and would work really well on something with such strong grain pattern.




    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    TTony said:
    Crimson stains are pretty easy to apply, and give good results, and would work really well on something with such strong grain pattern.




    Will have a look at those. I have some powdered dyes from keda dyes left over... enough to make gallons of the primary colours... I’d love to give a sprayed nitro burst a go tho’. on the other hand, keep getting drawn towards a nice seethrough blonde... or blue... maybe sea foam green... or red... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 2131
    poopot said:
    TTony said:
    Crimson stains are pretty easy to apply, and give good results, and would work really well on something with such strong grain pattern.




    Will have a look at those. I have some powdered dyes from keda dyes left over... enough to make gallons of the primary colours... I’d love to give a sprayed nitro burst a go tho’. on the other hand, keep getting drawn towards a nice seethrough blonde... or blue... maybe sea foam green... or red... :)
    Fuck it. Spray the guitar all of those colours. It could be an LGBT tribute :)
    SC Relics Guitars - Aged Nitro partcaster specialist
    www.screlics.co.uk ••• www.facebook.com/screlicsguitaremporium
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    lonestar said:

    Fuck it. Spray the guitar all of those colours. It could be an LGBT tribute :)
    Trouble is when I settle on a colour someone posts an update on his Facebook page and I change my mind!...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SargeSarge Frets: 1521
    love those Keda dyes, so so easy to work with and vibrant, not tried using the blue yet as the instructions make it seem a bit tricky. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 2131
    poopot said:
    lonestar said:

    Fuck it. Spray the guitar all of those colours. It could be an LGBT tribute :)
    Trouble is when I settle on a colour someone posts an update on his Facebook page and I change my mind!...
    Ooooooo... sorry about that ;) here to help with colour choices if you need assistance :)
    SC Relics Guitars - Aged Nitro partcaster specialist
    www.screlics.co.uk ••• www.facebook.com/screlicsguitaremporium
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Good choice of colour! Have you seen the one I made for @Basher ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    edited December 2017
    Good choice of colour! Have you seen the one I made for @Basher ?
    It was that post on your site that cemented the choice of colour!...

    For or everyone else... I’ve gone for a see through white!

    forgot to order the clear tho’ 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Good choice. Sunburst is the worst of all guitar colours. Even worse than maroon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    Good choice. Sunburst is the worst of all guitar colours. Even worse than maroon.
    Now you have me considering a maroon burst!!!!! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    Well that’s the video editing out the window!!!!
    http://a63.tinypic.com/2ugjwaf.jpg
    Thanks @SteveRobinson super fast delivery as always!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hope you've got better weather there than we have today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    Hope you've got better weather there than we have today!
    It started bad...but... now the sun has come out just to add insult to the fact I have proper work to do and can’t be dicking around with guitars!.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    Well there’s good news and there’s bad news...

    the good news:
    fresh nitro (hour old) is really easy to strip from a guitar!....

    the bad news:
    ive used all of the missuses nail polish remover!!!!

    this clear white is a bugger to spray!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 424
    Any light colour is usually tougher to spray due to the light pigment, and not being able to see just how thick the coat is.

    Rather than gauging how much you've put on by looking directly at the colour/shade, try and get enough light at a suitable angle so you can see in the reflection how the current coat is laying down. You're aiming for just enough so the coat goes smooth. Too little, and you'll see from what just looks like a layer of dust, to little pinholes holes in the surface (if they're big holes, then you've got contamination, which is repelling the paint). Off course too much, and the only thing you'll be seeing are runs!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    I had the damn thing finished... just got slightly too close with the spray at the last minute and got a run... it pulled the colour away as it ran...

    had to to strip it back and will start again!
    http://a63.tinypic.com/avn252.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 1187
    Damn! That is so frustrating!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    edited January 1
    paulnb57 said:
    Damn! That is so frustrating!
    Yip!....

    its had a final final coat of sealer now... so back to where I was two days ago... I have one more can of see thro white... if it works, great... I suspect I will be ordering a solid colour soon tho’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    One can of white blonde on...

    a bit bit uneven so will need to get another can I think!...

    http://a65.tinypic.com/ejymc2.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 9146
    poopot said:
    One can of white blonde on...

    a bit bit uneven so will need to get another can I think!...

    http://a65.tinypic.com/ejymc2.jpg
    I would burst the edges slightly on the next go....  just leave the centre till last and stop right there if you like the Mary Kaye look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 1187
    Looks great!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1620
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    One can of white blonde on...

    a bit bit uneven so will need to get another can I think!...

    http://a65.tinypic.com/ejymc2.jpg
    I would burst the edges slightly on the next go....  just leave the centre till last and stop right there if you like the Mary Kaye look
    I’m going to go for a bit more coverage all over I think... just a hint of the grain showing through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2835
    What exactly is a 'Swampy Strat'?  Pardon my ignorance but I do have a Fender Strat and a Strat shaped Anderson but the term 'Swampy' has me baffled.  My Anderson is built from swamp ask IMMSMR, thanks.

    I am enjoying reading about your build.  Looking good...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.