NAD: Squuuueeeeaaall piggy!

What's Hot
DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508

All the way from Slovenia (and Reverb.com) is this one channel beast - Fryette Deliverance 60. Have been looking for one of these for years and with some excellent communication from the seller, managed to get a rather 'festive' deal on it. In other words, a very wise purchase for very good value.

Tried it at home and one thing is for sure - this is NOT a bedroom amp. Good god. It is 60w with two KT88 valves but needs some serious push to get the most out of it. I tried it with a boost just now with the volume as low as it would go and it sounds pretty damn hefty. Pretty dry tone but clear as hell. Pretty similar to a JCM tone but with more gain. I am thinking of opting for the Two Notes Captor to bring it down a peg or two...any thoughts?

Just can't wait to push this baby at band practice.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like those. Very very very loud :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Bit surprised that a £600 ish amp does not have an FX loop these days?

I WAS going to suggest trying EL34s (suitably biased) in there on the basis that they might dirty up a bit earlier but  the user manual is VERY specific that only KT88s be used.  ICBM or other techs might like to comment?

Dave.

• Mate, the answer is closely related to the amp... a Fryette Power Station.

My best purchase ever in guitar land. Superb devise which will control this amp and add a lovely effects loop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    ecc83 said:

Bit surprised that a £600 ish amp does not have an FX loop these days?

I WAS going to suggest trying EL34s (suitably biased) in there on the basis that they might dirty up a bit earlier but  the user manual is VERY specific that only KT88s be used.  ICBM or other techs might like to comment?

Dave.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Dave I suspect there is not enough bias adjustment on the trimmer, to back it down for EL34s. Also they may be running high B+ and screen grid volts. Looking at an internal shot the factory bias is 1.25v across a common 10 ohm cathode resistor, so 62.5mA per valve, so would imagine not sufficient range to scale back to 30-35mA EL34 territory.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited December 2017
    Forgot to add that this amp actually has been upgraded with an effects loop built in with pots on the send and return to control the levels. ALSO comes with a dual footswitch to change the More/Less gain control toggle on the front remotely (effectively *almost* turning it into a two channel amp) and also to activate the FX loop (on/off).

So yeah...pretty sweet deal!

@ecc83 - indeed, you can only use KT88s or 6550s with this amp. 

@Wazmeister the Fryette PS does look the dogs bollocks...bit out my price range right now though. Not looking for something too extravagant, just something to lower the noise levels when playing at home.
  • @Dopesick - I get it mate, but beg steal and borrow at it is a truly amazing device
    @Dopesick - I get it mate, but beg steal and borrow at it is a truly amazing device
    I shall investigate. Might trawl the FB classifieds or even look into getting one on finance...
  • Dopesick said:
    @Dopesick - I get it mate, but beg steal and borrow at it is a truly amazing device
    I shall investigate. Might trawl the FB classifieds or even look into getting one on finance...
    Fair warning if it's relevant; the PS has a loop, yes, but no level controls.  Great idea let down by that omission, making the use of -20 db instrument level pedals (not -10 db which is not instrument level) like eg Boss delay pedals impossible without modifying something.
    I've decided to go for the Two Notes Torpedo Reload instead. Ticks all the right boxes for me (well, except my wallet - but hey, a finance deal never hurt anybody. Wheeey!).