Patch Cables

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
What patch cables do you use? Looking for a single, quality brand that does various lengths with right angles jacks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Diago solderless or home made.
  • I use Mogami and Planet Waves, PW are slightly more affordable, though with Mogami I've not had any issues with my rig in 6 years.

You can get those custom build yourself ones by George L's as well so you can cut it to desired lengths.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Make your own with Neutrik jacks and van Damme cable, or get designacable.com to do it for you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    simonk said:
    Make your own with Neutrik jacks and van Damme cable, or get designacable.com to do it for you.
    I would not actually use Neutriks for patch cables - they're expensive, not very low profile and have surprisingly high capacitance - that's not a joke, for a short cable the capacitance of the plugs will be higher. The super robust construction isn't necessary if they're just going to be static on a pedalboard.

Switchcrafts or some other more traditional plug are better for this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Oh @designacable is a good shout. Had a lead made recently and it was excellent.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    ICBM said:
    simonk said:
    I would not actually use Neutriks for patch cables - they're expensive, not very low profile and have surprisingly high capacitance - that's not a joke, for a short cable the capacitance of the plugs will be higher. The super robust construction isn't necessary if they're just going to be static on a pedalboard.

Switchcrafts or some other more traditional plug are better for this.
    I meant to say Hicon pancakes actually...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624

I agree the Nuky R/H plugs are too fat and expensive where their BSH qualities are not needed. Surprised at the capacitance point but then never measured any.

A note on 'pancakes'? Either sleeve with H shrink or steal a bit of Her's nail polish to lock in those infernal, tiny screws!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    ecc83 said:

I agree the Nuky R/H plugs are too fat and expensive where their BSH qualities are not needed. Surprised at the capacitance point but then never measured any.

I was very surprised too! It’s not *huge* - around 40pF per plug, from memory - but it’s enough that if you’ve got a dozen of them on an all-true-bypass board then it does become noticeable, and it’s more than the capacitance of a typical 6” patch cable.

(Yes, I know what you think about all-true-bypass ;). So do I :).)

My guess is that it’s because the two conductors in the plug shaft are much beefier than usual, and the insulating plastic sleeve correspondingly much thinner.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I originally went for the Planet Waves Solderless kit which worked out pretty well. The only problem I found was the cabling to be a bit thick and therefore didnt always bend into the right positions. So then I went for the George L stuff and I love it. Probably wont need to use anything different ever again.
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    I used Evidence Audio SIS plugs/cable. It's not cheap, but it's fail safe and I like supporting 1-man bands that stand by their products.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7150
    edited December 2017
    Lava Ultramafic for me. Cost a small fortune, but it's done now and I have no complaints whatsoever about the cables themselves. Board sounds lovely, never had one fail on me, and I even strangely enjoy making them. 

Did get a message from 3 Monkeys Solderless the other day though, asking me if I'd like to try theirs. They do look the part; very low profile. 
  • Thanks for the mention @Teetonetal, We've actually just updated the sale section of our website with tonnes of new patch cables! At least 25% discount off the original price of all our sale cables, you can find those here... https://www.designacable.com/bulk-offers.html

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    The Warwick flat patch cables are so good, insanely thin and come in a bunch of different sizes. I'll never go solderless again.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I notice Thomann do their own EBS/Warwick type flat cables:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_fpc10_flat_patch_cable.htm?ref=prod_rel_370951_1
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Evidence Audio SiS. Honestly its the best worth the investment.
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom