Oi Bono!

What's Hot
ClashmanClashman Frets: 175

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sorry, is there a joke here that I'm not getting?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Sorry, is there a joke here that I'm not getting?
    Yes.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    Something to do with the U2 bloke saying music has gotten girly and there's a lack of rock and roll ?
      Perhaps there should be more of U2  out there as they are so fresh and cutting edge ?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw that on BBC News this morning.
    Bono doesn't seem to see what a knob he sounds like, talking about rock'n'roll like he'd know anything about what rock'n'roll is these days.

He says it's about an outlet for anger? Eddie Vedder has "that rage"? Hmmm well where are Pearl Jam these days anyways? I haven't seen a new Pearl Jam record in about the last 4 or 5 years? Lightning Bolt was released in errr 2013? Oh and it wasn't that good. It certainly wasn't very "rage-y" (that's a technical term now). Not compared to their other stuff, at least. 

I have this little inkling that Bono may have been living under a rock for some time, and he pops out for a brief look around, right around Christmas/New Year, or when U2 releases a new album. 

Incidentally, I've been picking up old/older U2 stuff lately. I just recently got POP, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, The Joshua Tree, All That You Can't Leave Behind... I also have Songs of Innocence. 

Yes, there's some good stuff there, but Joshua Tree was the peak. That's when U2 was a great mainstream rock band, and innovative at that. Now, I've not listened to ...Experience in its entirety yet but I am certainly not rushing out to do so on the back of No Line.../...Innocence. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I was watching a great doc the other day about Mississippi bluesmen like RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough, real good stuff, then up popos bongo in his sunglasses to give his 2p worth. Fucked it right up for me it did. Since when was bongo an expert on every musical form?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgo said:
    Fucked it right up for me it did. Since when was bongo an expert on every musical form?
    The only thing he’s ‘an expert in’ is loving the sound of his own voice and sticking his oar in. Can’t stand the man.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The funniest thing I read was Bono saying he nearly died making U2's latest record .. I have this vision of Lemmy, Hendrix and John Bonham jamming in Heaven when the news breaks that Bono might be joining them .. Lemmy to God ... "Please God, send the fucker back .."

The man's an arse ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Funny thing, back in the 80s people were talking about how U2 were antithesis of rage and fury in music.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    I was watching a great doc the other day about Mississippi bluesmen like RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough, real good stuff, then up popos bongo in his sunglasses to give his 2p worth. Fucked it right up for me it did. Since when was bongo an expert on every musical form?

I love that documentary. It's called You See Me Laughing isn't it?

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11675
    I have this little inkling that Bono may have been living under a rock for some time, and he pops out for a brief look around, right around Christmas/New Year, or when U2 releases a new album. 

He pretty much has to come out when U2 are plugging an album, by definition.

As a rock star on his level of popularity and wealth, you can guarantee he has little or no contact with the "real world" any more.

There is a famous story about someone (I forget who) who was making a documentary about Prince.  They went to his house and were asked to give a talk to the fans clustered outside on Prince's quirky religious beliefs.  The film-make in question refused, and Prince's publicist told him Prince didn't live in the real world, but had lived in a bubble built around him since the 80s.  If the documentary was to go ahead, he had to live in Prince's world, not the real one.  The documentary never got made.

Other super-rich individuals are the same, it is one of the reasons why Twitter provides so many hilarious gaffes, because it is amongst the first times the super-rich-and-famous have regularly communicated personally outside the bubble.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • I have this little inkling that Bono may have been living under a rock for some time, and he pops out for a brief look around, right around Christmas/New Year, or when U2 releases a new album. 

Other super-rich individuals are the same, it is one of the reasons why Twitter provides so many hilarious gaffes, because it is amongst the first times the super-rich-and-famous have regularly communicated personally outside the bubble.
    Unfortunately, it seems there may be some exceptions: Donald Trump. He manages to make multiple gaffes on Twitter daily.  
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

There is a famous story about someone (I forget who) who was making a documentary about Prince.  They went to his house and were asked to give a talk to the fans clustered outside on Prince's quirky religious beliefs.  The film-make in question refused, and Prince's publicist told him Prince didn't live in the real world, but had lived in a bubble built around him since the 80s.  If the documentary was to go ahead, he had to live in Prince's world, not the real one.  The documentary never got made.

Kevin Smith

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/kevin-smith-on-prince-funny/85002276/ ;

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11675
    edited January 2018
    Paul_C said:

Kevin Smith

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/kevin-smith-on-prince-funny/85002276/ ;

Thanks.

Sums up the celeb bubble rather well, the funniest thing is it never bursts.  We just love putting people on pedestals.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Alvin said:
    U2.. cutting edge ?
    Been Mullen this over for a bit now.. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom