C18Q1 Learn electronics and build a pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    aord43 said:
    poopot said:
    My timmy clone I built a few years back if it helps with layout!. (excuse the insides, was one of the first pedals I built).

No need for excuses - I've seen "professional" fx builders selling FAR worse than that!!
    I think that one is beautifully neat!!!
    @aord43 i’ve gotten neater over the years!.

http://a68.tinypic.com/nl2b7t.jpg

Cot50 on tagboard!... won’t hijack the thread further!!!! :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Ooh, that tagboard looks beautiful! Got me thinking now.... ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited January 2018
    Philtre said:
    Ooh, that tagboard looks beautiful! Got me thinking now.... ;-)
    How about a PNP fuzz face with power inverter?

http://a64.tinypic.com/jsd2xv.jpg

http://a66.tinypic.com/10wiqkw.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How about a PNP fuzz face with power inverter?

Beautiful.
    An update - still waiting for the delivery from Tayda (they shipped last Monday from Thailand). In the meantime I ordered some veroboard from a UK supplier and it arrived today. So, I've cut the right size board, skewed out the breaks and am now busy soldering on the components that I do have according to this layout:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-imI0JcQ_gSI/VAmT8yw-f3I/AAAAAAAAImM/MqxVruF6nCo/s1600/Paul+Cochrane+Timmy+Rev+2.png

Questions for the experts:
    • there's a 2.2M resistor running from signal input to ground. I have a 2M resistor - would that be OK?
    • I'm using a 1N5817 diode for polarity protection as per the layout above. I notice that there's a 100R resistor in series with it. Why is that?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    That's a pulldown resistor to prevent pops, anything between 1M to 2M  be fine

I can't see the schematic above but if there's a 100R is series with V+ then there's probably a Cap to ground after that which is a basic low pass filter to get rid of ripple from the power supply 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Danny1969 So why do you think they are quite specific about it being 2.2M?
    Philtre said:
    Thanks @Danny1969 So why do you think they are quite specific about it being 2.2M?
    It's not a value that needs to be specific bearing in mind a 5% tolerance 2.2M resistor could be 110K either side of 2.2M making that resistor anything from 2.09M to 2.3K in reality .... your 2M is fine

With resistors there's a series, the lower tolerance series have fewer values as there's more overlap of values due to the lower tolerance ... as the tolerance moves tighter to say 1% there's no overlap really so more values in the range. People tend to design with common values they use a lot ... I tend to use 10K a hell of a lot purely because buying one value in bulk is very cheap and with a value of 10 the maths is very easy 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Have a little look at this as it explains the E series of resistors better than I just did 

http://www.logwell.com/tech/components/resistor_values.html

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Cheers, @Danny1969 !

I've soldered what I can onto the board. Now I'm waiting for the Tayda delivery which, I hope, should have a couple of small factor 1uF caps - smaller than the monster-sized ones I used on the breadboard!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited January 2018
    Philtre said:
    Cheers, @Danny1969 !

I've soldered what I can onto the board. Now I'm waiting for the Tayda delivery which, I hope, should have a couple of small factor 1uF caps - smaller than the monster-sized ones I used on the breadboard!
    If you ordered the grey arcotronics or red wimas they’ll fit fine.  
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Philtre said:
    Yeah they’ll be fine I’ve used those before.  They’re about as tall as you can fit in a 1590b
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, @Adam_MD good to know.

Some things I've learnt so far about this:
    • Plan ahead when ordering components (itching to get going, but I'm waiting on Tayda)
    • Go straight to veroboard. The veroboard I put together today is tiny compared to the breadboard prototype!
    • Check the size of your capacitors!
    • So far I've spent about £120 on components, breadboards, and tools, drill bits, hole punch, enclosures, etc - less than the price of a Timmy pedal, right? And, I can build more as I've bought more than for one pedal.
    I had a few hours spare today so I got a cheap £3 Chinese box drilled out and populated it with the basic bits needed for a Timmy. However when it came time to build the circuit I actually built the Amp11 version, or rather the Amp11 overdrive part without the boost. This is basically just built very quickly on Veroboard.... as this is an experimental build I chose to build the clipping side of things on a smaller separate bit of Vero so I can more easily play around with more diode options

There are many substitutions of components but none of them will make much of a difference except in the range where things happen pot wise 

Tomorrow I will hook it up to my Hot Rod and have a tinker. What I'm after is something that compliments that particular amp well. Once I'm happy with the circuit I'll get a painted box and do a proper job of it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @Danny1969 Interesting. Good to see a pedal under construction. I'll post pics of mine just as soon as I have the rest of the components.
    @Philtre ; This Lovepedal Amp 11 circuit sounds pretty darn good .... I mean really good, the best overdrive I have heard I would say. Even running straight into a solidstate clean amp it sounds good. The bass cut and  tone control work well and with the drive wound down it's a great clean boost. This is my costing :-1: 

Box - Ebay - China £3
    Veroboard  - Eaby £1
    Jacks - CPC 90p for 2
    Pots - CPC - £2.40 for 4
    DC in - Ebay £1
    DPDT footswitch - Ebay £2
    Veroboard Ebay £1
    opamp - CPC 43p
    LED - CPC 9p
    Resistors - Ebay 20p
    Caps - Ebay £1

So less than £15 for a truly great sounding OD, I'm pretty pleased with that but I like it so much I'm gonna build another one with a painted box, graphics, high quality footswitch and a secret weapon 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @Danny1969 OK, I'll breadboard one up and give it a listen. Did you use a 4559 opamp?

I'm still waiting on my parts from Tayda for the enclosure, pots, jacks, knobs and a couple of capacitors (1uF). I'm starting to get itchy to get this Timmy into a box so I can start on another one.
    Philtre said:
    @Danny1969 OK, I'll breadboard one up and give it a listen. Did you use a 4559 opamp?

I'm still waiting on my parts from Tayda for the enclosure, pots, jacks, knobs and a couple of capacitors (1uF). I'm starting to get itchy to get this Timmy into a box so I can start on another one.
    No I used a 4556, in this application the type of opamp makes very little difference as the bandwidth required and output drive current is well within the capabilities even the most modest of opamps. 

Are you using the 1uf to block the DC on the output (last cap on the right of the schemetic) any value between 470n and 10uf be fine, doesn't need to be bipolar as there's a DC bias to the left of it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Danny1969 said:
    @Philtre ; This Lovepedal Amp 11 circuit sounds pretty darn good .... I mean really good, the best overdrive I have heard I would say. Even running straight into a solidstate clean amp it sounds good. The bass cut and  tone control work well and with the drive wound down it's a great clean boost. This is my costing :-1: 

Box - Ebay - China £3
    Veroboard  - Eaby £1
    Jacks - CPC 90p for 2
    Pots - CPC - £2.40 for 4
    DC in - Ebay £1
    DPDT footswitch - Ebay £2
    Veroboard Ebay £1
    opamp - CPC 43p
    LED - CPC 9p
    Resistors - Ebay 20p
    Caps - Ebay £1

So less than £15 for a truly great sounding OD, I'm pretty pleased with that but I like it so much I'm gonna build another one with a painted box, graphics, high quality footswitch and a secret weapon 

Nice, I might look it up and compare with my TS clone, which doesn't sound as good as I'd hoped.  Where did you get the layout/circuit, was it tagboardeffects?