Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm grumpy and probably wrong...

What's Hot
I'm feeling grumpy and know I shouldn't be, but I can't help it. I've seen one too many For Sale ads recently from people who joined here just to sell something. It's not my forum, but when these people can't even be bothered to follow the very reasonable rules - put a price on their ad, or wait until they have some pictures before they post, it just starts to get to me.

I've just been to the mirror and asked myself "U OK Hun?". Feeling a little better now... 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'm feeling grumpy and know I shouldn't be, but I can't help it. I've seen one too many For Sale ads recently from people who joined here just to sell something. It's not my forum, but when these people can't even be bothered to follow the very reasonable rules - put a price on their ad, or wait until they have some pictures before they post, it just starts to get to me.

I've just been to the mirror and asked myself "U OK Hun?". Feeling a little better now... 
    You always get people who want to abuse a resource like this just to shift some gear.

I tend to look at it like this: the classifieds attract a lot of people. Many post for sale ads and don't stay. However, a few do, and become really good, useful, knowledgable posters - if the classifieds attracts a few quality posters every month then I'm prepared to tolerate those that just freeload.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
     but when these people can't even be bothered to follow the very reasonable rules - put a price on their ad, or wait until they have some pictures before they post, it just starts to get to me.

Yup.

if the classifieds attracts a few quality posters every month then I'm prepared to tolerate those that just freeload.
    And yup.

Though the Classifieds-only users tend to get a little less tolerance when they choose to abuse or ignore the rules.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Let’s be honest a lot of us joined as a result of wanting to buy or sell something (I know I did), some of us stay. I think that’s the very nature of the place.

However, there has definitely been a bit of an influx of bedroom sellers over the last 6 months (they’ve filled and run out of space on eBay so they are looking for new outlets) but I cannot imagine many of them are making sales -mainly as a result of their poor fs posts and lack of engagement with the wider community.

We might even find a few stay and contribute in the end.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thing is, I wouldn't hesitate to buy gear from a "regular" poster. 

A new member with no posting history tho.. I'd probably not.

Oh, apart from @RandallFlagg - his stuff is all drivel ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28030
    YANBU.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I can't believe anyone would come on here just for the classifieds, it's all a load of cheap tat.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Well, I browse the ads and if I see something interesting then I'll have a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thing is, I wouldn't hesitate to buy gear from a "regular" poster. 

Shhhh...

I'm working on a secret project with Brian Wampler in liaison with Lee Anderton on the distribution of The "RandallFlagg Over Drivel" pedal. It won't work with bass though because no-one like bass with effects on, unless it's in a New Model Army song.

There will be a "more drivel" switch included for 11 minute avant garde progressive double neck acoustic hippy drivel work outs.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What does 'bedroom seller' mean? I think the odd crappy ad is okay, makes the good ones look good. 
    Thing is, I wouldn't hesitate to buy gear from a "regular" poster. 

Shhhh...

I'm working on a secret project with Brian Wampler in liaison with Lee Anderton on the distribution of The "RandallFlagg Over Drivel" pedal. It won't work with bass though because no-one like bass with effects on, unless it's in a New Model Army song.

There will be a "more drivel" switch included for 11 minute avant garde progressive double neck acoustic hippy drivel work outs.
    I think some YouTube channels are using your overdrivel pedal already, and have been for some years... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    johnswiss said:
    What does 'bedroom seller' mean? 
    Usually taken to mean someone who buys/sells kit from home, trying to buy cheap in one place and sell not-so-cheap somewhere else and make a margin.

Although it's a pseudo business, they offer none of the protection of buying from a real business, and pay none of the  associate costs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know about others but I'm usually pretty quick to dismiss for sale ads from people with virtually no posting history.  Not because I've a real problem with them using the forum for that purpose,  but because my suspicions are raised.  I wouldn't  completely rule out buying from a newbie if they were selling something a really wanted and was hard to find, but I'd be looking a lot harder for reassurances that they were genuine than I would from a guy with a solid posting record.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TTony said:
    johnswiss said:
    What does 'bedroom seller' mean? 
    Usually taken to mean someone who buys/sells kit from home, trying to buy cheap in one place and sell not-so-cheap somewhere else and make a margin.

Although it's a pseudo business, they offer none of the protection of buying from a real business, and pay none of the  associate costs.
    Thanks! It's the bedroom bit that threw me.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I don't actually care about this to be honest. More people selling, more chance I'll find something to buy.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited December 2017
    I only come here to fart in the lift and get out just before the doors close on you all!!

HNY !
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I’m a relative newbie, but I can absolutely see where the OP is coming from. I joined the forum in February and did have a guitar up for sale shortly after that, though I did post a few times beforehand, and followed the rules on pics, price etc. There was hardly any interest in the guitar on here, and am unsure whether this was price or because I was a new member - in the end it was sold on Gumtree for a smidgeon under what I was asking.

I can understand the wariness of buying something from a new member, but at what point do you become ‘trustworthy’? 

For me, the classifieds are there for all to use so as long as the ad meets the requirements, there is no difference to any other way of buying and selling, there is always some risk unless you know and trust the person already.

I love my brick
    Stavros said:
    I’m a relative newbie, but I can absolutely see where the OP is coming from. I joined the forum in February and did have a guitar up for sale shortly after that, though I did post a few times beforehand, and followed the rules on pics, price etc. There was hardly any interest in the guitar on here, and am unsure whether this was price or because I was a new member - in the end it was sold on Gumtree for a smidgeon under what I was asking.

I can understand the wariness of buying something from a new member, but at what point do you become ‘trustworthy’? 

For me, the classifieds are there for all to use so as long as the ad meets the requirements, there is no difference to any other way of buying and selling, there is always some risk unless you know and trust the person already.

We have, in the past, had a few choice new members sign up with the express intent on scamming people.. that's probly the reason for the caution.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    I saw one the other day called Falcon. He's been a member since 2015 but all eight of his posts have been in the Classifieds. His last item for sale a PRS was listed on ebay where it sold within a day for less money than it was listed here for. He's not bothered to put a sold on his ad here either. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Stavros said:

I think it's when others here have got to know  you from your posts elsewhere on the forum, which demonstrate that you're (a) interested in guitars in some way (rather than just aiming for quick/easy/free sales) and (b)  have shown some sort of interest in contributing to the wider community.

The Classifieds are intended as a service for the community, rather than a separate section in its own right.

Yes, there's a difference.

A service for the community enables members to buy/sell stuff when they want/need to without the various hassles of eBay.  The community establishes a level of trust, and members who know each other will often do mates-rates deals.  They know that what goes around, comes around.  The community also has a great watching-your-back spirit in which errors (innocent of otherwise) are called out.

A separate section in its own right is just a smaller version of eBay (without the selling fees, and buyer protection) in which sellers can buy/sell stuff.    It's freeloading in that they're not contributing anything to any other part of the forum.  Sellers win because they can sell without the safeguards and costs of eBay, and can disappear if things go wrong (they've not made any investment in the community).  Buyers might win in being able to buy more cheaply, but buying from a new member who makes no effort to establish themselves in the rest of the community carries a higher risk.

IMHO of course.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 328
    Agree with all of that, have a wiz!
    I love my brick