Neck join on a LP jr kit guitar

What's Hot
For Christmas 2016 I got this kit guitar for a fun little project, as you can see, I've made a lot of progress (I unboxed it).

When setting the neck in the pocket, it is snug, but sits about 2mm under the body line.  Is this normal?

Disclaimers: 
  • I recognise that kit guitars don't exactly scream quality
  • I know verrrry little about guitar building
  • I have eye balled the neck angle and it appears OK, but please see point 2

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    Presume that there's a scratchplate to go on top, so the gap won't be visible?  It has no structural implication.

I'd place the bridge in situ , and then put a long straight rule along the top of the frets and on to the bridge to represent the strings.  That'll give you an idea of whether the bridge angle is right or not before you glue the neck in place   (I'd expect it to be right, else there'd be a lot of kits getting returned).  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I figured it must be 'right' out of the box.  I think the grand total was about £90, so I'm expecting some limitations.  The neck join is what makes me most nervous though.

Cheers @TTony ;

• WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Check the angle is correct before glueing.  It pays to be sure

I imagine they cut the neck shelf like that as it’s a lot less of an issue than if it was too high for the DIY kit builder

If building from scratch you would leave it high and cut level after glueing, but that’s quite a complex task for a kit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Pffffft geez @WezV, remind me what you know about building Les Pauls?

(thanks dude ;)