Matchless & Bad Cat

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11882
    pmg said:
    Although you need to get a good ef86 in there
    I have tried buying top priced new cryo ones, etc
    But in the end, best method for me was buying a job lot of used ones and just trying them all one at a time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    Before I had my DC30, I had one of these, and it was very close to the DC30 in a lot of ways. This is worth knowing about as a cheaper, more portable option:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/121289/fs-vox-ac15h1tv-combo-celestion-blue-roqsolid-cover-695#latest

These sound amazing, and unlike most of the other AC15 models, they do have an EF86 channel
    Thanks for the heads up, I’m aiming to pop in to Coda this week to check out the Bad Cats. With regards to the EF86 tubes, are the newer made ones so unreliable or is it just the nature of the tube itself to be finicky ?
    it's the nature of the tube, but I assume that is why they have their own sound
    it's about how microphonic they are
    The new ones I have bought are quiet and sound good, but if you tap the amp, there is a glassy clunk noise, and this also can mean acoustic feedback can trigger vibrations in the EF86
    This is why most amps avoid EF86 I assume: they are an early design, and ecc83 valves are not microphonic the same way
    http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aai0113.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, interested to see they sound and compare to 12ax7 channel. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    I've had a DC30 and an HC30, as well as a Lightning. I preferred the DC30 sonically, the combos have a little extra magic. They are also ridiculously heavy. The Lightning I actively disliked, they are not half a DC30 as some would have it...

I prefer them in full power mode and running a single GZ34.

I sold all of them and get everything I loved about them and more from my Audio Kitchen Combover.
    I had a Lightning 15R twin ...........found it hard to love too.........I used to play it side by side with Morgan AC20 .....the latter was so much nicer on the ear but Heavens above ......that Lightning was the loudest 15w on Earth .....it could drown out the 50w Marshall the other guitarist used.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Before I had my DC30, I had one of these, and it was very close to the DC30 in a lot of ways. This is worth knowing about as a cheaper, more portable option:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/121289/fs-vox-ac15h1tv-combo-celestion-blue-roqsolid-cover-695#latest

These sound amazing, and unlike most of the other AC15 models, they do have an EF86 channel
    I started off with one of those, nice amps.  I bought another after my black cat as a backup and it just wasn’t comparable
    garfy said:

Thanks for the heads up, I’m aiming to pop in to Coda this week to check out the Bad Cats. With regards to the EF86 tubes, are the newer made ones so unreliable or is it just the nature of the tube itself to be finicky ?
    I’ve had most success with nos mullards and tube dampeners 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    pmg said:
    garfy said:

I’ve had most success with nos mullards and tube dampeners 
    Same experience here, bought a used Mullard off ebay
    edited January 2018
    Are you guys using heads? Just wondering if any extra wear from using combos?
    extra wear on what? Your back certainly!!!!

I have a DC30
    I did have an Independence head and cab, which was only slightly easier to move

You would have extra scope for microphonics in a combo, but realistically, a duff valve would still be undesirable in a head
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

LOL awarded! :-D

There is an audible groan from whichever band member happens to be walking past the van at load in when I say " 'ere, just give me a quick lift with this..." and they spot the flight cased Black Cat...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:

There is an audible groan from whichever band member happens to be walking past the van at load in when I say " 'ere, just give me a quick lift with this..." and they spot the flight cased Black Cat...

:-D
    garfy said:
    miserneil said:

:-Di use a combo.  It’s weighty but perfectly  manageable with correct lifting technique.  Flight case lifting is a two man job though as the dimensions make it cumbersome plus the added weight of a flight case
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Flightcase? Why why why? Only thing worse is my friend's 100w flightcased boogie.
    tFB Trader
    Flightcase? Why why why? Only thing worse is my friend's 100w flightcased boogie.
    I flightcase all my gear, it helps keep it safe when touring and really endears me to all band members and road crew....
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Me too. As soon as I realise I'm going to hold onto any amp for any length of time I order a case for it from Castle Cases. As soon as a splitter van's involved I think they're essential, they're the best amp stand known to man, and even if the amps end up solely as studio amps, they are kept pretty much pristine to the point if I ever DO sell them on I potentially make the cost back. 

I think anything less than a flight case for an amp is pretty much false economy, really, considering how relatively cheap they are. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Finally got a chance to try a Bad Cat at Coda. Absolutely superb! I tried the 15w Cub at decent volumes with my strat. Plenty of headroom for me with my low output Montys, loved the EF86 channel as well as the 12ax7. The Black Cat has Dual K master volumes (which works incredibly well) so you can balance the 12ax7 & EF86 channels to suit and also dual reverb controls. 
    Such a great shop, too many sweets to look at and always friendly :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Good stuff @garfy! It’s just that bit far for me not to get down there....but I want to try out the K Master BadCats and the Satellite stuff they have in...it’ll be an expensive trip no doubt :)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Never tried a badcat but gigged a Matchless Independence for years, absolute tank of an amp, sounded great past halfway with the master pushed in to open it up further but as pointed out sounded garbage at low volume, don't know what it was but just fizzed out completely, they really need to breathe.
    Really miss that Matchless sound, if a decent 1x12 combo came up I think I'd be finding it difficult to pass up.
    miserneil said:
    Good stuff @garfy! It’s just that bit far for me not to get down there....but I want to try out the K Master BadCats and the Satellite stuff they have in...it’ll be an expensive trip no doubt :)
    I left my wallet in the car as not to make any rash or rushed decisions....I’ll be back ASAP  =)
    The K Master is fantastic @miserneil, preamp almost wide open in their guitar room, Sounded huge but controlled, preamp down k master up.....clean notes hitting you in the chest :)