Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Commonly Misused Phrases

What's Hot

Comments

• Obiligitary Mitchell & Webb Grammar Nazi sketch:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    ICBM said:
    While we're at it, writing "pup" when you want to say pickup.

It sends me into a blind rage and usually means I cease reading the thread at that point.
    You’re more of a kitten man, I take it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fuengi said:
    I've got a client who's favorite phrase is "it's a Mute Point". 

After you let if go the third time you just have to go with it. He uses it four to five times per meeting.

One day someone will tell him! 
    Or more likely it will become common usage like so many of the useless words and phrases the OED has included in the latest version of its dictionary. Entries include worstest, fungivorous, winterval, croggy, on the huh, hot take, cheeselog and corporation pop.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    AlexC said:
    ICBM said:

It sends me into a blind rage and usually means I cease reading the thread at that point.
    You’re more of a kitten man, I take it?
    Will certainly make me paws before I post in future..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited December 2017
    "All that GLITTERS is not Gold" - - - NO NO NO - is GLISTERS you dumb-nuts...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Or more likely it will become common usage like so many of the useless words and phrases the OED has included in the latest version of its dictionary. Entries include worstest, fungivorous, winterval, croggy, on the huh, hot take, cheeselog and corporation pop.

on the huh is an old Suffolk idiom meaning not square, not straight, or not lined up properly. It is not new, American, or useless. If the OED has only recently included it, then the OED has taken a long time to catch up!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:

on the huh is an old Suffolk idiom meaning not square, not straight, or not lined up properly. It is not new, American, or useless. If the OED has only recently included it, then the OED has taken a long time to catch up!
    The OED didn't need to catch-up as only people in Suffolk use it .. never heard of it down my way. The same with cheeselog which is ancient - it's just another word for louse that's used by a few people in the marshes somewhere.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • 57Deluxe said:
    "All that GLITTERS is Gold" - - - NO NO NO - is GLISTERS you dumb-nuts...
    All that is ginsters?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Let's move the phrases to one side and focus on their component parts - letters. More specifically, the eighth letter of the alphabet.

You know, this one - h.

It's name is not "haitch" for fuck's sake. The alphabet is one of the first things you learn as a child, if you can't get such a simple thing right by the time you've left school then you should refund the cost of your education to the taxman.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    prowla said:
    The one that gets me is the (accusatory) use of "not".

eg. "Did you not think of that?"

I'm never sure whether the correct answer is "Yes" or "No", as in "Yes, I did not think of it..." or "No, I didn't not think of it...".
    The correct answer is GFY
    I'll add that to my armoury!
    Fuengi said:
    I've got a client who's favorite phrase is "it's a Mute Point". 

After you let if go the third time you just have to go with it. He uses it four to five times per meeting.

One day someone will tell him! 
    There's someone at my current place who can fit "in terms of" up to three times into a sentence.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    prowla said:
    prowla said:
    The one that gets me is the (accusatory) use of "not".

eg. "Did you not think of that?"

I'm never sure whether the correct answer is "Yes" or "No", as in "Yes, I did not think of it..." or "No, I didn't not think of it...".
    The correct answer is GFY
    I'll add that to my armoury!
    It's incredibly cathartic when well aimed at a smug and/or patronising bastard
    scrumhalf said:
    Let's move the phrases to one side and focus on their component parts - letters. More specifically, the eighth letter of the alphabet.

You know, this one - h.

It's name is not "haitch" for fuck's sake. The alphabet is one of the first things you learn as a child, if you can't get such a simple thing right by the time you've left school then you should refund the cost of your education to the taxman.

"an historic" - what a load of bollards!

There's only a handful of "h" words which can be preceded by "an", such as "heirloom", but "historic" isn't one of them!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    edited December 2017
    Yuck! I hate web sites like that. 36 pages to click through, enormous text. 

A very intelligent female colleague at work always said 'Pacific' instead of specific! Did my head in every time.
    57Deluxe said:
    "All that GLITTERS is Gold" - - - NO NO NO - is GLISTERS you dumb-nuts...
    is not ....

ICBM said:
    but what if your pup end up being a real dog of a pup?

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    scrumhalf said:

You know, this one - h.

Sing it brother.  I've reached the stage where I over emphasise it. like aaaaaaaaych and with my Yorkshire accent those vowels are flatter than southern beer. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone else heard of this good old Norfolk expression? 

"It's full of toot" as in "look in the back of his van, it's full of toot" (tut)

My Mum & Dad used to say it all the time 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I wish to remain anomolous
    play every note as if it were your first
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom