Boss GT100...is it really that old!!

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
edited December 2017 in FX
Just read that the Boss GT100 was launched at NAAM in January 2012 which makes it now 6 years old. I'm amazed it has worn so well...6 years is nearly an eternity in the mfx market.

Can only think that it's replacement must be imminent!
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    I've got one. It does a bloody good job. Some folks are critical of it, even though they rave about the effects in the MS-3 and the Katana. As with any tool, it depends how you set it up. You can turn the amp modelling pre-amps off and just use the in-built effects.
  • Not uncommon for Flagship Digital Units. 

Axe FX 2 and Kemper are over 5 years old now, still supported by the manufacturer and still sounding great. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    edited December 2017
    I just bought one a few weeks ago - I'm looking at retiring my pedalboard and replacing it with this if I can. I don't intend to use the preamps, but they're better than I thought, so maybe I'll try some as a tonal effect into the clean channel of my amp...  I realise I'm not in Helix, FX8, Kemper, Axe/FX country, but I'm not paying those prices, either. I don't like Line 6 sounds for their cheaper products, (I've owned and gigged a couple), which is why I decided to give Boss a try. To give it some context, I mainly use clean or vintage bluesy/crunchy tones and use high gain sparingly. 

I'm finding it really easy to dial in tones I like using the two screens on the unit and haven't yet tried to use the computer interface. What might be helping me is that I'm not playing covers or trying to match a "famous" tone. 

There's more options for managing gain staging than I'd expected - which is nice. 

I would imagine my purchase means Boss will be announcing a GT-200 shortly...   
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited December 2017
    I had a GT-100 till  few months ago when I sold to fund towards my Helix. And it was a great unit...if I say lost my Helix or it died I'd probably just get another GT-100 or a Zoom G3 (or 5)...they're absolutely great units still. I reckon things are slowing up...i mean surely the technology can't maintain it's rapid progress on going? o 

I still have a Roland demo CD that has the now ancient GT-5 and VG-8 (and more units from back then) and still those sounds on that CD would still be considered great sounds today..in the hands of a good pro player amazing sounds are there for the taking. Boss GT FX are still pro grade IMO. They don't really sound outdated to be when I hear that CD...which as some of the instrumental demos are so good I still play that CD in the car sometimes.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Was umming & ahhing over whether to get one or not, in the end I finally went with the Helix LT, partly due to the age of the Boss.

From watching YouTube videos I really liked the quick tone library, where it has a selection of tones like JAZZ all together for quick selection, seems perfect for a quick practice.