Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For the older guys....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

D'ya find yourself revisiting the music of your youth? or do you just leave it there and are constantly movin' on music wise

I have recently  found myself knee deep in Zep...Santana...Focus....Mahavishnu orchestra.....Hendrix....I have just bought up the 1st six Santana albums again ( expect tae see them in my CDs for sale ad   :) ) these Santana six are so removed from all the Santana stuff that came later....just thinkin' out loud folks

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    Mostly moving on. There's a fair few tracks from my youth that still work, but not many whole albums and very few whole artists.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Almost 30 years ago I moved to London, listening to The Cult's Love on the train down.  Back then, I didn't play guitar and when I started, any attempt to play songs on Love sounded nothing like the original.

This afternoon I went through side 1 of the album for the first time.  Lots of stuff was already in my fingers... Led Zeppelin and Hendrix-y type shapes.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    Yes, but I also like a lot of new stuff as well. It's not mutually exclusive.

I've re-acquired most of the music I liked when I was a kid. Some I still liked, some I didn't and got rid of again.

I've also found that I now like a lot of the music I hated at the time - often while actually knowing it was good, I just didn't get on with it at all... eg the late-70s Bee Gees, and Steely Dan.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Bit of both really, but I do like to keep searching and finding new stuff that I like. Also searching for older stuff that I somehow missed as well.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    I know where you are coming from with the BGs....I could not stand that cartoon falsetto 70 s stuff at all but the early music was wonderful..." when I was small and xmas trees were tall...."
    tae be or not tae be
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    I try very hard to get into new music and artists but struggle a bit unless they are close to what I already know and love. 
    I still listen to all my old cds, if not my albums so much, and I'm currently listening to BB King at Cook County Jail.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I find myself going backwards - I grew up in the era of punk, then I was heavily into the 1980s Goth scene and I loved it all, however these days I’m tending towards more late ‘60s/early 70s stuff, The Who, The Small Faces, Rod Stewart and The Faces, The Beatles, even Nancy Sinatra!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Good question, Hoots.

I’ve also been revisiting my old late 60’s and 70’s albums recently, Alice Cooper’s ‘Killer’, Slade Alive, and Caravan’s ‘For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night’ spring to mind. Over Christmas I pondered on the reasons with my son, who finally decided that it was because “They just don’t make it like that anymore.” I guess that’s true of each generation of music.

I remain open to new stuff but I just don’t get as incredibly excited about it as I did when hearing, say, Van Halen’s first, Zeppelin, or Uriah Heep Live.

To be honest, if I never heard 99% of today's chart singles ever again, I don’t think it would bother me one bit.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I don't revisit the music of my youth, I never left it but that doesn't mean I don't listen to new stuff. I just think it's harder to find stuff that I like because there's so much of it to sift through.
    Good music used to be recommended by word of mouth or the loan of LPs. That doesn't happen as much these days.
    I do think a lot of modern music is over processed and over produced. They can't seem to leave well alone and they've never heard the expression 'less is more'.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I like more soul and funk these days that existed and was in its hay day as I grew up. However at that time it was more Steve miller, Pretenders, Beatles and Peter Frampton. I have an aversion to poetry over music (rapp), and those God awful repetitive synthetic and machine type drums which seems to be  sizable amount of current releases that can be produced in a bedroom.
    There is some good new music that is refreshing to hear but a lot of it turns me off quite fast.
  • I must admit still living in past.Ah! wasn’t that a Jeffro Tull tune ?.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    nope - I never want to listen toThe Osmonds, David Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, George McCray, Chi'Lites, ShowaddyWaddy, Racey, Suzi Fookin Quatro and soddin Sweet.... ever - thanks
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I have numbers...
    I typed "my top songs of 2017" into Spotify the other day: 
    I got back the 100 tracks I've listened to most.
    80 artists.
    10 artists were proper old school -- i.e. from the period of my life when I was 15-25.
    Then there's this big void... (coincided with marriage as it happens), there are about 3 from that period I reckon.
    And the music starts again from 2003!

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Good thread.  I’d like to think I move on and discover new stuff.  I’ve always had a fairly varied taste, I like hard rock, house, funk, drum and bass.  One of the reason I like the streaming services is the sheer variety of new music you can hear.

Then again, I’ve just been upstairs getting ready for New Years celebrations whilst listening to Pearl Jam at the Newcastle Riverside in 1991 so, y’know...

I’ve never had any time for chart pop, and the belief that “music’s getting worse” is, I think, wrongly based on the shite that commercial radio pumps out.  The charts have always been bollocks, back to when they were first invented.

I like 6Music - Craig Charles champions new artists relentlessly and if you like funk then it’s a smorgasbord every Saturday evening.  Huey Morgan is rapidly becoming one of my favourite DJs due to the sheer variety of music he plays, new along with old.

Basically, the music scene has never been richer and, whilst I’ll still cheerfully listen to Appetite for Destruction for the 1,234,665th time, I love to hear new material as well.  It’s a balance.
  • Yeah, it is a really good question.

In the same vein as Sassafras...I never left behind the music from my youth..it stands as a reference point by which all else is measured. What is now back catalogue used to be brand new to me.

Does anyone remember the excitement of coming home on the bus with the very latest album tucked under your arm? I can remember it like it was yesterday...and it was 40 odd bloody years ago...

Some of the newer stuff I'm sure will also become classics in the same way....

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Sporky said:
    Mostly moving on. There's a fair few tracks from my youth that still work, but not many whole albums and very few whole artists.
    There are quite a few albums I’ll still listen to (Pearl Jam - Ten, Guns - Appetite, The Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraword), but no whole artists (even the mighty PJ have dropped some rotters).

As for whole artists, hasn’t that always been the case?  It’s surely not possible.  The brighter the star burns and all that.
  • Dunno if I'm old but... more and more I've been yearning for new music. I've always been geared toward the older stuff.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I buy stuff here and there, but most of my listening (car commute) seems to be centred around the same old stuff. I think that my musical tastes, although very varied, are basically pyramid shaped. The records at the apex get played a lot, and the very large base section virtually never.