Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

For the older guys....

What's Hot

Comments

• I’m in my 40s and whilst I do search out and listen to new stuff very little sticks like the stuff I was listening to in my teens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Being as I grew up on Zeppelin, Floyd, Tull, Camel, Be Bop Deluxe and such bands, I've never been able to get into modern music. I'm just stuck in my ways.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Thanks to Spotify etc it’s easy to dip into the stuff you used to have but I really enjoy being introduced to new music too. Currently listening to Vulfpeck and Frazy Ford , does make you look back to their influences though.....
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7819
    You should listen to Marc Riley on Radio 6.  Open yourself up to some of the fantastic new music out there.   He had three episodes of the best of 2017 on iPlayer Radio.  Have a listen.  We live in wonderful times, it's just not reflected in the charts ;)
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    gad, that was over half a zentury ago to far to reach
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I miss the sheer excitement of the 1970's in particular, and whenever I think I should listen to more up to date stuff I'll catch some old footage of say the MC5, Rory Gallagher, Dr Feelgood, The Ramones, the Damned,  I think sorry, no-one's ever going to match that.  I've been to gigs where I wondered if i was going to come out alive.

And the sad truth is a lot of these bands wouldn't get signed today, can you imagine anyone taking a chance on a band like Hawkwind?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    From a slightly different perspective ...

I got into music properly in my teenage years, mid 70's onwards.  Punk played a big role.

If my father had come in one day, and put "Bollocks" on his record player and said how much he enjoyed it, that would have felt very wrong to me.

Maybe that's because my father was who he was and our relationship was what it was.  Or maybe that's because today's music, made by today's youth, is for the youth of today.  Punk was by the kids, for the kids - not their parents.

I think that's the way it's always been - and always should be.

hootsmon said:

D'ya find yourself revisiting the music of your youth? or do you just leave it there and are constantly movin' on music wise

If it's good - it's permanent and you'll never leave it behind.  The more you've encountered that's good, and want to keep with you, the less time you've got to listen to new stuff.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    TTony said:
    I got into music properly in my teenage years, mid 70's onwards.  Punk played a big role.
    If my father had come in one day, and put "Bollocks" on his record player and said how much he enjoyed it, that would have felt very wrong to me.
    Maybe that's because my father was who he was and our relationship was what it was.  Or maybe that's because today's music, made by today's youth, is for the youth of today.  Punk was by the kids, for the kids - not their parents.

I know what you mean but I think the big difference here (this forum) is that most of us are musicians and a good chunk of the older ones (as per this thread idea) have had to play stuff from all sorts of genres. 
    I basically think that as musos we're not like Joe Punter who only listens to a few things and isn't that bothered by music.  I bet most of us have got huge jukeboxes in our heads compared to non-musos.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    TTony said:
    From a slightly different perspective ...
    I think that's the way it's always been - and always should be.

I agree.  I do think within the umbrella of "popular" music it's mostly about time and place.  I don't try and get into modern pop/rock because I'm not a reckless randy youth anymore, I'm not going to be staying out all nights with my mates and I'm never going to fall in love again.  You inevitably see mainstream music as a soundtrack, and if you try and approach it from a more detached perspective it simply doesn't work, not for me anyway. 

I think that's why I've started listening to other forms of music in the last few years, I find that with say jazz or some of the older American acoustic blues stuff you appreciate the music for what it is, not what it reminds you of.  I still can't crack classical music though, the Lark Ascending is about as far as it goes with me. 

• I think the importance of music in your youth connects it to you in a way that simply isn’t the same in later life. As @ourmaninthenorth said - I can remember coming home with an album on the bus - I’d nearly wear out the stuff I liked - lifting the stylus off while I found the notes on my guitar. Music from that period is hard-wired into me.

There’s plenty of newer music I like - War on Drugs and Bon Iver have been recent discoveries - but the stuff you you absorb in your youth just never goes away....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I rarely revisit it. Although depends a bit on what I mean by the music of my youth.
    My teenage record buying was a lot of rock and heavy metal ( as we called it then!) like Nazareth, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Queen. I don’t dislike it now but I rarely seek it out. Through my oldest brother I got into earlier bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and thereafter spent my
    listening time going backwards along that family tree into Zappa and Chicago blues and delta blues. 
    Some of the other music of my youth was the stuff I was trying to ignore at the time and which I like more now wether that’s Dr Feelgood or The Clash or The Specials or The Police.Again, I’ve gone back from listening to them back to dub and Toots and the Maytalls and have a stupid knowledge of ska and early reggae; stuff  I probably didn’t even know existed ten years ago.
    I also appreciate music more as a craft now than I did thirty odd years ago so I can appreciate the Bee Gees or Ed Sheeran even if they don’t have a place in my heart. 

This is might be about being older rather than wiser but the joy and the pain of having listened to a lot of stuff is that it’s hard to get beyond thinking ‘ I’ve heard it all before’ and so new music doesn’t tend to interest me. Music that is new to me often does but that’s not necessarily the same thing. For example, my 17 year old son put something on the other day, some amazing new band he likes and I thought it sounded like Isaac Hayes. I’m not saying it was bad just that I wanted to listen more to Isaac Hayes afterwards than I did the track he was playing. But for my son there is just so much that’s new to him wether it’s made in 2017 or 1947 and that’s a great journey. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Was into Madness whilst at school. Great to hear them on the radio (usually Baggy Trousers), and once loved their first album. Have I revisited it? No. Would I revisit it? Prob not. Grew up watching TOTP and The Tube.

But school also introduced me to Queen, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Jethro Tull, Saxon, Asia, Diamond Head, Michael Schenker (and friends), Rainbow, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc, and to tell the truth, on the odd occasion I've revisited them, it's left me feeling a bit uninspired.

Pink Floyd were and are in a different class and I can't get enough of their 1969-1973 output, especially the live stuff. The 1978 Animals album started it all off when I somehow got hold of whilst still at school.

Since then have passed through Tangerine Dream, Yes, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jazz-Fusion, music from the GRP stable, 60's, some pop (when I got involved in local radio), Hawkwind, Zappa, classical and ambient. I did the record collecting thing for a few years, and amassed some really eclectic albums. Then let it all go. I also got heavily into Yello and the early albums from The Orb, which I continue to revisit occasionally. You can probably tell, I'm not much for "songs", although there's a fair few songs that really hit the spot. But nothing sounds better than a 20-odd minute opus from the Floyd or, say, Tangerine dream.

The one thing I never got into as a youngster was blues, so the last 2/3 years have made up for that. But I think I'm now done exploring the blues as a listener, even though I'm not done with blues as a guitar player.

So where does that leave me with my next aural inspiration?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    I still listen to old stuff, some has survived very well, but I’ve also got a lot of Hendrix and Led Zep albums that just never get played. I think most of that is because it’s on the radio all the time so I’m actually a bit tired of it. I do listen to modern music too, but can’t say much of it gets me that interested.

I think the biggest change for me, now I’m older, is appreciating how great some music is that I never would’ve dreamt of listening to when I was younger: things like Frank Sinatra, opera, classical, big band, swing. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264

Definitely listen to too much stuff from my teenage/early twenties,as evidenced by my top listened to songs in 2017 on Spotify.I just don't seem to have the same attention span towards new music that I used to have.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2018
    I still enjoy the stuff I grew up listening to. Funnily enough our local's juke box has a search-by-date feature, and it's odd how many songs that were in the charts in 1971 that I still like. There was also some crap that I'd forgotten about. So yeah, the blues, hard rock, and prog rock is still very much with me.

These days I'm mostly listening to stuff that was written 500-250 years ago.

There was a disco in our local last night. In all the time he was emitting noise purporting to be music I heard 2 songs that I recognised and none that I liked.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I only listen to fresh and original music that has no obvious influences so I bought Noel Gallagher's new album.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

90% of the music I listen to is purely because I have to learn it for the various bands. That's the drawback of playing covers for a living, if your not familiar with the material your gonna play you need to get it in the old bonce before you can play it. If I am playing music for pleasure though it's gonna be something new generally .

The actual music from my school days was terrible, Haircut 100, bananarama, Kajagoogoo etc.... urg!! complete shite! 

Exceptions where old music is concerned are timeless things like Floyd, I can still happily listen to all the Waters albums from start to finish 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Danny1969 said:

The actual music from my school days was terrible, Haircut 100, bananarama, Kajagoogoo etc.... urg!! complete shite!

Oh thank you so bleedin' much... now you've reminded me that I'm supposed to have learned Chesney Hawkes. 
    :)
  • The bands I sometimes revisit include The Who, Free, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy (going all the way back to the original trio), all of which I saw live. Those are a few that have stood my test of time. But not all of what I liked back then still interests me.

I like to keep up with new stuff and I think music is in as good a shape as it's ever been. I like new sounds and styles, but it's also great that bands and players still come along and manage to do something interesting with blues, rock, country and jazz...

I've never been that interested in what's in the charts.
    It's not a competition.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    p90fool said:
    I was living in the past as a teenager, given the choice between Soft Cell and Jimi Hendrix, so I do revisit stuff from before my time but almost never the music from my own youth. 
    yes, just like you @p90fool and @EricTheWeary I went back in time to the 60s and early 70s as I didn't care much for the music of my teens (80s). Ever since, I've been exploring the 50s-70s for my 'new' music. My tastes have broadened - couldn't stand funk or jazz as a teenager, now funk and soul are very important to me and I quite like some older-fashioned jazz. But modern stuff usually only appeals to me if it sounds as if it could have been recorded in an earlier period.