Making a snug fit for my keyboard in the case.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Nice one @roundthebend - I've just email them for a quote for two pieces that fit the case.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Large plastic bag for the keyboard and some old jumpers, t-shirts or towels to pad out the bag. Dirt cheap and light.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Use waste corrugated cardboard, folded up, to make blocks for each end. A single large flat piece in the middle will protect the central area.

Doesn't everyone have loads of cardboard around the house this time of year?  Saves buying foam.

I'm a bit too anal to go with any 'chuck a load of rubbish in' solutions, sorry.  If I had my way (and the money!), the case would cost more than the instrument :-)  I'd have a black flightcase with chrome or gold fittings and automatic hydraulic openers that would make a 'tsssssssssssssss' noise as the clasps were released and the lid opened to reveal a custom-moulded interior in thick white brushed cotton, caressing the instrument, whilst mini LED spotlights shone from the corners through a light cloud of dry-ice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Our keyboardist has generic, Ill fitting bags ( although maybe not as ill fitting as Emp's) for her keyboards which seem to do for gigs ( she plays in several bands) and lessons ( gives private lessons - not a euphemism) without a problem. Keep the dust off and nothing heavy gets put on top ( also not a euphemism). Both carpet and polystyrene would give you potential problems with bits getting inside the keyboard and more trouble than they're worth. 

Phil_aka_Pip said:
    That looks like one of those Thomann bags. I've got two of them.

I think that some kind of loosely-filled bean bag could be a good idea ... cloth won't rip as easily as a plastic bin bag. Depends on what kind of space needs to be filled. You could make a cheap sausage-shaped space filler using a rolled up towel inside a football sock.
    The space filler idea is probably sufficient, also works for a down the trousers Spinal Tap moment. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm a bit too anal to go with any 'chuck a load of rubbish in' solutions, sorry.

No problem. In that case I think your original expanding foam idea is good, though with maybe a proper mould to prevent any embarrassing mishaps, and using something much tougher than bin liner material.  (Also bear in mind that stuff expands like crazy, you need a way to vent the excess without spilling it over either the case or keyboard.)

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Ravenous said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm a bit too anal to go with any 'chuck a load of rubbish in' solutions, sorry.

No problem. In that case I think your original expanding foam idea is good, though with maybe a proper mould to prevent any embarrassing mishaps, and using something much tougher than bin liner material.  (Also bear in mind that stuff expands like crazy, you need a way to vent the excess without spilling it over either the case or keyboard.)

Shhh you, this has all the hallmarks of "speedboat rescue".
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    FX_Munkee said:
    Ravenous said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Shhh you, this has all the hallmarks of "speedboat rescue".

Heh yes I saw your story about the Canoe Catastrophe.  I assumed people from here trying it would read the instructions first  (and not you of course.)

The stuff I've seen used was in a tin and with a plunger to break an internal capsule containing the "other part" of the mixture.  It was intended for window frames and the like.  It wasn't particularly hot when used, but hell it did expand a lot.  I would suggest a really good firm mould would be needed, to prevent the whole thing warping or turning into a huge dome...

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    You've bought a cheap bag but want a fitted flight case! Danny has the cheapest idea or get some offcuts of the stiff foam used inside proper flight cases. Or glue together several layers of corrugated caRd board to form a front and back panel with some cushioned protection.
    Yeah.. I know.  But what am I going to do with the cheap bag if I buy or build a fitted flight case?!  I think I'm going to go with the expanding foam plan.  Two sheets of thin ply the size of the case.  Tack on some temporary side panels so as to make a box.  Put the keyboard in, face down, and lay an old cotton sheet over it, tucking it in to be snug with the contours of the back of he keyboard.  Next, spray expanding foam everywhere until it’s completely covered then put the other sheet of ply on top.  Maybe cut a few vent holes to allow the excess foam to escape.  Leave it to set.  I should have a bottom-95% mould now.  I was thinking of doing the same for the top of the keyboard, but I would likely have problems trimming it all down so the two shells joined up with the correct spacing between them, so maybe just a sheet of thick foam glued to a sheet of ply would suffice for the lid.

My only real concern is the chemical solvents in the foam.... would they damage the plastic of the keyboard?  If so, could I get away with it by wrapping the keyboard in cling film or summat for protection .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    My only real concern is the chemical solvents in the foam.... would they damage the plastic of the keyboard?  If so, could I get away with it by wrapping the keyboard in cling film or summat for protection .

I don't think there are "solvents" as such, it's just a chemical reaction between the two parts that provides a foam that solidifies.  But it'll probably mess up the finish of the keyboard if any gets through.

I think I'd suggest a few layers of tightly-fitted newspaper over the whole thing, taped up into a tight package, then the clingfilm or what ever you use.  Just to leave a little extra space so the fit isn't too tight.

Not sure how expensive this foam is, by the way!  If it's cheap it might be best to waste a can first just to see how it handles...