New Year's Challenges

What's Hot
I don't generally hold with New Year's Resolutions, but having completed my 2017 Fretboard Running Club target of running 1million meters I feel like doing something else. 

So...
I'm doing two things- 
30/30/30- 30 pull ups, push ups & squats for 30 days. (I'm starting a new job next week & won't be as able to get to the gym, hopefully bodyweight stuff done at home will keep me in shape- along with an extra 10miles on my bike to work). 

The other is the "Yoga with Tim 30 day yoga body".

1 yoga video a day for 30 days- I did loads of yoga whilst recovering from injury, but have been lazy & noticed my flexibility suffering. 

Anyone else got plans? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am closer to 30 burgers a day.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I am closer to 30 burgers a day.
    the key to this is to not go for it straight away, but to slowly build up. And don't be too hard on yourself, you're allowed the odd salad day, so long as you tell yourself it's OK to take a day off, but to not form a habit of it.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Just to try and keep up my Mon/Wed/Friday evening gym sessions. Summer last year I kept to it really well, but once we changed the clocks and winter came I was lucky if I went once a week.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    I've only one at the moment; I'm entering the British Indoor Rowing Champs later this year and aiming to do a sub 6:30 min 2000 metres. Closer to 6:20 would be great. 

With luck this would get me a top twenty placing in my age category and possibly even a top ten. 

I also want to get my weight down to nearer 17 stone that the current 18 and a bit. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Perfect even better curries...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    And to share your recipes right?
  • I don't do "challenges". Especially new year ones.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited January 2018
    the_jaffa said:
    I've only one at the moment; I'm entering the British Indoor Rowing Champs later this year and aiming to do a sub 6:30 min 2000 metres. Closer to 6:20 would be great. 

With luck this would get me a top twenty placing in my age category and possibly even a top ten. 

I also want to get my weight down to nearer 17 stone that the current 18 and a bit. 
    Good work @the_jaffa ; - you have my fullest respect. Are you tall?

I pulled a PB of 8 mins for 2k a couple of months ago and nearly killed myself.

I enjoy rowing and usually do a 2k as a warm up and warm down a few times a week. That day I could see I was well up on my usual time of 8:30 ~ 9 min so went for it early on. I was pissed off that I could get under 8.

However, after I was in no fit state to carry on with my usual circuit! I couldn’t believe how much losing less than 60 seconds off my average took out of me!

I’m toying with buying another concept 2 for at home this year. I sold the last one to free up space and money last year as I wasn’t using it much.

I’d love to get sub 7:30 which I’m sure if I applied myself I could. I’m 5’9” and just over 12 stone at the moment - not the best frame for optimum rowing performance.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    edited January 2018
    Cheers!

I'm 6'4" which is a major help. I also rowed when I was at university but that was more than 15 years ago now. Technique is mostly still there though so I just need to get my fitness up. I've been doing Crossfit since August though and that has helped massively. I managed a 3:23 min 1000m a couple weeks back as part of a workout so know there is more to come. 

Fingers crossed
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited January 2018
    I want to do 40+ push ups a day for the year. I have been doing it for the past couple of months, so just a matter of continuing. Also, I think i feel well short of my running time last year, and missed my guitar time, so need to work on those. 
    So, 
    * 40+ push ups a day
    * Duolingo each day
    * 200 hours guitar practice (for the year)
    * 500km running
    * Two work related exams.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I need to get back to boxing, that's the best training I've ever done.  Pretty much all you need.

.stimpsonslostson said:

The other is the "Yoga with Tim 30 day yoga body".

I was doing yoga everyday up until Christmas and felt great for it, but have let it slip whilst everybody has been off.  Finding floorspace and getting some time when it's quiet has been impossible.  So back to it tomorow.  I use an app called Yoga Studio.  15 mins min a day but target 30 mins mainly with the additional hour session.  I need to do it early before work or it doesn't happen.
  • What are your bodyweight squats ? 
    I've not got a bar for pull-ups... Don't want to damage the door frame! Would love to do those, though.

Push-ups .. property ones with arms tucked in are difficult.

I only do home exercise with bodyweight or dumbbells, or go for a run. Trying to do more to bulk up a little as always been so stick thin. Been using wrist gross, too. It's a lot of effort, though.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    What are your bodyweight squats ? 
    I've not got a bar for pull-ups... Don't want to damage the door frame! Would love to do those, though.

Get a decent eall mounted one from Amazon. I have this one which is really good.

Gorilla Sports 10000120&nbsp;Wall Mounted Pull Up Chin Up Bar, One Size https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0050I7LU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZORsAb46Y55YV

Got it about a year ago.  When I started I could only do about 6 pullups.  Now I can do about 6.   But I don’t blame the bar for that!

Actually, post Christmas I’m probably down to about 4.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to try and do the 1,000k challenge this year.

Should be not too much of a stretch as I managed 800k last year and I didn't start running properly until May.
  • Too scared to rip my wall out!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    another alternative to a chin bar are those rubber band things, sling them over a hook or something and do lat pull downs or rows. 
    One exercise I like is sledge hammering, get a big tyre or heavy duty rubber mat or something, big old sledge hammer and a bit of space to swing it (WARNING: not suitable for indoors) and go to town. If I didn't have a load of logs that need splitting I'd do this instead, old school exercises FTW.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    I’ve just skimmed through Day 1 of Tim’s Total Yoga Body.

I think I’d need 30 days of gentler movements before I could tackle Day 1!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    the_jaffa said:

Respect. I once did 5k in 20m and I thought I was going to bring up a lung!
  • Emp_Fab said:
    I’ve just skimmed through Day 1 of Tim’s Total Yoga Body.

I think I’d need 30 days of gentler movements before I could tackle Day 1!
    It IS one of the more demanding yoga things I've tried, but that's what I'm after. Lesley Fightmaster also has a 30day beginners course- it's more gentle & is what I did whilst recovering from herniated discs, she's a bit more spiritual than Tim- that's the big downside to yoga for me. 

My bodyweight squats are exactly as they sound- fully standing to "Ass to grass" and back again thirty times. Preferably with some kind of explosivity. 
    Im lucky in that I have a deep door frame that I can do my chins on- as I can't wrap my hands around it it's a good hand strengther too. 
    Push-ups I'm varying hand position- wide, narrow... Whatever I feel like. I'd like to be able to do one armed ones, that's the target. 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited January 2018
    how do you guys find the time and motivation to do all this? I have fairly flexible (but, unfortunately, open-ended) working hours and I still find it difficult to get half an hour every other day. And then finding the motivation to get started, in particular when I'm feeling a bit shit which, to be honest, is most days. Over the three months to Christmas I managed to do some weight training and stretches, for the first time in my 49 years on this planet building some upper body strength which felt really great - but that came at the expense of giving up running, and towards the end of that time my wrist started hurting so much that I had to stop. It's still hurting, I dread starting again, and all the gains will be lost.